Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to migrate correctly a server centos7?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to migrate correctly a server centos7?

How To migrate correctly a server centos7 from one kvm provider hosting To another hosting kvm provider ? I am using centminmod and WordPress website.thanks

Comments

• Build the same environment on the new VPS, backup website files and database files and copy them to the new VPS, and change DNS...

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @dedipromo said:
    Build the same environment on the new VPS, backup website files and database files and copy them to the new VPS, and change DNS...

So it would be like creating a back up for WordPress+ installation of centos7 on the new server+changing DNS con cloudflare? That s all?

• Yes, that would be the way to do it. There is no automated script, you're not on cpanel, the environments are different, so you would need to migrate file by file, config by config.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @Chievo said:

@dedipromo said:
    Build the same environment on the new VPS, backup website files and database files and copy them to the new VPS, and change DNS...

So it would be like creating a back up for WordPress+ installation of centos7 on the new server+changing DNS con cloudflare? That s all?

Yes, shouldn't be difficult for a simple wordpress site.

• @Charles_In_IT said:
    Yes, that would be the way to do it. There is no automated script, you're not on cpanel, the environments are different, so you would need to migrate file by file, config by config.

Ok thank you

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

Alternatively, depending on what needs to be migrated, you could treat the new VPS as a fresh install of Centmin/WordPress, change DNS and import your content using WordPress Importer

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @dedipromo said:

@Chievo said:

@dedipromo said:

Yes, shouldn't be difficult for a simple wordpress site.

Ok thank you!

• @Mic-hael said:
    Alternatively, depending on what needs to be migrated, you could treat the new VPS as a fresh install of Centmin/WordPress, change DNS and import your content using WordPress Importer

Thank you i am going To bear it in mind

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • For the future, this is what I recommend and my personal favorite for personal or even to a certain extent, commercial projects,
    Create LXC container inside your KVM (Assuming your host supports it) and every time you need to migrate, just backup your LXC container and restore it to your new VM. If you want to be creative, you can even set up a poor man's cloud with the same formula :)

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @seriesn said:
    For the future, this is what I recommend and my personal favorite for personal or even to a certain extent, commercial projects,
    Create LXC container inside your KVM (Assuming your host supports it) and every time you need to migrate, just backup your LXC container and restore it to your new VM. If you want to be creative, you can even set up a poor man's cloud with the same formula :)

Nice idea! is there any knowledge base / guide step by step for noobs like me about setting a lxc container on centos7?

• @Mic-hael said:

Yes lots of folks may want to do that as it only takes Wordpress site/data.

For Centmin Mod specifically I wrote 2 guides in Centmin Mod Insights subforum for migrating data. One for cPanel to Centmin Mod and one for Centmin Mod to Centmin Mod migration.

Working on a cPanel to Centmin Mod script too as part of paid work with a client - preview at https://github.com/centminmod/cpanel-backup and benchmarks here.

LXC containers I haven't used but use LXD before and for CentOS 7 there's a few gotcha's that LXD providers need to configure on their end for CentOS 7 to work which I outlined at https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod-lxd. So I wouldn't rely on LXC/LXD for CentOS 7 it may work on some host providers and may not work on others. Stick with KVM for CentOS 7 for now as Centmin Mod has limited testing with LXD.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee