Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the best guides how to setup and run own vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the best guides how to setup and run own vps?

What are the best guides how to setup and run own vps, from scratch step by step?

Comments

• All on Google

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is Amitzly nigh on this one.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • If it is solely for personal usage, install and configure proxmox and call it a day.

Thanked by 2Nebes maverickp
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@Nebes said:
    What are the best guides how to setup and run own vps, from scratch step by step?

Digital Ocean does have a lot of good tutorials. Though honestly they are written for noobs with no experience. I think that most people agree that running a VPS PROPERLY requires knowledge and experience not obtained from reading a 5 minute tutorial.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2019

Although Udemy courses don't have a good reputation this one has been my first course ever that I have watched in regard as to how to get into Linux. It's been really helpful and took away my fear of not being able to manage. The teacher is pretty thorough and explains things well. You can also contact them regarding any questions (or you could, idk if it's still the same). I actually watched it before watching any YT tutorial, as I didn't know where to start back then. Give it a try, it's worth the money: https://www.udemy.com/course/become-an-ubuntu-server-pro-in-just-3-days/ . I bought the course for 10€ (on discount) back then.

If you wanna go free, pick any YT tutorial, really. Also Tecmint and Howtoforge have some great tutorials.

Thanked by 2Nebes Ryu
  • Use Saas software like runcloud

Thanked by 2Nebes ShadowLurker
  • Are you asking about starting your own VPS hosting company or just want a guide on configuring your
    VPS via SSH?

• Setting up your own VPS depends heavily on what OS and applications you plan to use and for what purpose. I think you can find lots of tutorials on Google to setup and configure each application individually.

• Thanks for so much of replies - I am not an admin, I am in marketing.

VPS is more flexible and easy to resell, but potential customer should be able to admin it by himself. Why there are no simple bulletproof guides how to run own vps? It is very easy to write I bet.

I am thinking to hire an admin and to write it - is it a good idea?

• mrlongshen said: Use Saas software like runcloud

Why hosting companies don't advertise it, like server pilot, what's wrong with it?

• As a VPS newbie the online tutorial I used the first time needed to set up a VPS is here:

https://www.mckerracher.net/vps

It looks like he's updated it since then which was about two years ago. Found it to be very helpful. His method installs Virtualmin/Webmin control panel which I highly recommend

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • First you catch a server.
    If the server goes mooo you've caught a cow and not a server, be advised, make milkshakes, avoid brucellosis by pasteurization.
    Then you get Proxmox or ESXi, install it as base os and make the server a virtual machine host.
    Then you create a vps with the cpu/ram/hdd as needed, via the management panel.
    Then you mount a cd with ubuntu server or debian and boot the vm.
    Then you open the vnc session through your management panel and Next, Next, Finish install the server.
    Then you ssh into the server and configure what's needed.
    Allow what's allowed, deny the rest, especially for firewall.

Nebes said: - I am not an admin, I am in marketing.

Omg, we're doomed... :neutral:
    If you're in marketing it's even easier, you know that money talks, hire someone to do it for you.
    Solve the technical problems by assigning people tasks that they can do, thus jobs, thus being their manager, but... You have to have been down that road to know the micromanagement mechanics to guide the people how to do it all, othwerwise you'll be just an incompetent dick of a manager...
    It's again doable, hire someone to do even that for you, to manage and you become the owner.
    Go to meetings, shake hands with big people, go skiing and elephant hunting together, drink wine up on the balcony while people are protesting on Wall Street and live happily ever after.
    The End.

I hope i didn't answer your question and i am really sorry if i did.

• @Nebes said:

Why there are no simple bulletproof guides how to run own vps? It is very easy to write I bet.

Because ,
    What my server usage won’t be same yours. User A needs a vps optimized for Wordpress, user B needs a vps for DNS hosting, user C uses his VPs for file storage and so on.

Which is why there’s tons of tutorial out there that are catered towards individual usages but not a foolproof one that fits everyone’s need.

Kinda like dating, some prefers crazy hot ones, some prefers basics, some likes tree, some prefers pancakes and potatoes.

End of the day, there are reasons why admins exists and makes money. Same reason tutorial exists and same reason control panels and softwares exist :)

Hope that answers your question.

• seriesn said: Kinda like dating, some prefers crazy hot ones, some prefers basics, some likes tree, some prefers pancakes and potatoes.

Most people just need a good wife/husband or a fast website, quite simple. Right now I see that it is quite difficult to find a decent virtual host which could handle big traffic. People are starting to consume a lot of heavy content.

• @Janevski said:
    micromanagement mechanics

Thanks for your reply. I am not in marketing, I am a shitposter.

Why there are no simple bulletproof guides about micromanagement mechanics? It is very easy to write I bet.

I am thinking to hire a marketer to write it - is it a good idea?

• @ITLabs said:
    I am thinking to hire a marketer to write it - is it a good idea?

Lol the marketers are hiring, not a vice versa ))

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • needing to guide for troll

will consume heavy contents

ytho no potassium

ytho no potatoe

please advice?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Nebes said:

seriesn said: Kinda like dating, some prefers crazy hot ones, some prefers basics, some likes tree, some prefers pancakes and potatoes.

Most people just need a good wife/husband.

Definition of good changes from one person to another.

I prefer quiet, homely kind.

My cousin prefers high energy super outgoing type.

We can go on man.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@Nebes said:

a. Some information on LET might be helpful.

b. Websiteforstudents dot com is a good resource. I used it to learn a thing or two.

c. Stackexchange when things break while learning from (b) that are applied incorrectly.

d. YouTube, as mentioned earlier

@Ympker mentioned Udemy, Coursera also has some options: here's a list from a random search Caveat: this one seems very much leaning towards GCP.

Or,
    wait for BF, get a $7 (Maximum!) VPS and get going.

I will aim to post only when I can add value, beginning with a 15 second video- homage to servers.

• @Nebes said:
    Thanks for so much of replies - I am not an admin, I am in marketing.

VPS is more flexible and easy to resell, but potential customer should be able to admin it by himself. Why there are no simple bulletproof guides how to run own vps? It is very easy to write I bet.

Thanks for so much of replies - I am not in marketing, I am an admin.

Potential customer should be able to market anything by himself. Why there are no simple bulletproof guides how to do own marketing? It is very easy to write I bet.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • NebesNebes Member
    edited October 2019

@ras07 said:

Potential customer should be able to market anything by himself. Why there are no simple bulletproof guides how to do own marketing? It is very easy to write I bet.

Just bought vps to try, installed runcloud in one click and website online in a few minutes.

Please market the product same way.

Again the problem that there is no managed hosting right now, please correct me if I am wrong. I am talking about mass market, for 50-100 bucks per month.

• @Nebes said:
    Just bought vps to try, installed runcloud in one click and website online in a few minutes.

Please market the product same way.

Again the problem that there is no managed hosting right now, please correct me if I am wrong. I am talking about mass market, for 50-100 bucks per month.

"This will not end well." (@deank, 2019)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • It's all about how you handle the potassium, you don't want a criticality event ruining an otherwise lovely day.

• AndyDiazAndyDiaz Member
    edited April 2020

Casbay scam
    Casbay spam
    Casbay scam
    Casbay spam
    Casbay scam
    Casbay spam
    Casbay scam
    Casbay spam
    Casbay scam
    Casbay spam
    Casbay scam
    Casbay spam

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited April 2020

@andydiaz You were so overjoyed by a article to make a vestacp email account at Casbay that you rushed here to join and make this your first post on a thread that was 6 months old? You must work for them

• I have tried about 10 times to set up and secure a VPS using the various management tools. Even a paid DA license. Others were freebies. None were secure for too long.
    I have given up trying to have any VPS, despite trying hard to get the good oil on "hardening a VPS". I may try Udemy one more time...

My aim has always been to host several of my own domains, and not any that are resold.

Best to leave the anguish and management to experts I think.

• Further to what I wote earlier, in all the spare time I have now, I have managed to try setting up some VPS systems after studying a Udemy course on the subject.

I have managed to test out a Centos VPS with CWP and another running Ubuntu and I have installed HestiaCP on that one.

As far as freebies go, CWP and HestiaCP are quite good. In the past I have messed with Webmin-VirtualMin, Kloxo and Vesta.

DirectAdmin would be my favourite if I was to be reselling hosting, rather than doing free stuff for family and friends.