Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM do I need to host GIT in a vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM do I need to host GIT in a vps?

I guess with one CPU would be enough... GIT would be not used all time, just ocassionaly.

Comments

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

Welcome to LET and congratulations on answering a part of your own question.

First, let us break down the CPU question further:
    I. What Operating system will the VPS be running on? If Windows- which version? What are the minimum hardware requirements for that version of Windows server? That becomes your limiting factor. If Linux, then which distribution/ version? Each has recommended and minimum requirements. Likewise for BSD.
    II. CPU:
    What is the upper limit for one CPU that you guess would be enough?
    Further, do you mean cpu core or CPU thread the whole hog?
    If a core, then do you need a dedicated core, or a shared core with a cap?
    Type of cpu also just might matter. Does git repo setup recommend an Atom or something higher?

Or is a Cyrix processor enough?

III. Providers:
    Which VPS provider(s) allow setting up git repos? Most of the friendly providers on LET allow running stuff that is legal or does not violate the laws of the land where the server is based in - or the Terms of service of that provider. But it is always better to ask.

IV. On the RAM: Specify type of RAM. Which DDR and speed?
    Also, the Ram requirement would be= (RAM requirement of Operating System) + (RAM for git) + (Ram for using the git and other tasks)+ (Swap)

I would recommend you gather this information up front and then revise the question. Or a follow up post.

Where can you find some of this information if not on LET?

Assuming you consider startpage or duckduckgo as your friend, you can find some interesting information. Posting some random results here.

here <- not very helpful

here <-- More of a How To

here<-- Ah ha! Information here might be dated but useful. This post also mentions bandwidth requirements which you might want to consider

You can also look up on DO Tutorials. Again, they might not tell you what you really need, instead post what they think you might need. I am not implying intentional upsell but also might be planning ahead for future.

That's it!

You are welcome to come back when you have compiled the resources, and update here for the benefit of the community.
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Welcome to LET and congratulations on answering a part of your own question.

Thanked by 1t0m
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

You are also free to choose 42 as the right answer.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2019

Just for Git? Very little. For very large repositories I think it's mainly CPU-bound rather than RAM-bound. For small repositories, you'll barely notice anything, as if you're using it via SSH protocol then it only runs when you're actually using the repo.

Do you also want a frontend like GitWeb or Gogs/Gitea? That'll take more RAM of course.

Thanked by 2uptime Neuromante
  • 128MB ram VPS will be plenty. If you can get linux to boot you can run git on it.

Thanked by 1Neuromante
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I run gitlab on 16GB of RAM. Because I can :joy:

But if you are just using git, I can't see why it can't be less than 512mb.

• @Neuromante said:
    I guess with one CPU would be enough... GIT would be not used all time, just ocassionaly.

If you want some numbers - Gitea 1.9 with a bunch of small repositories on Ubuntu16 has about 150MB occupied.

• Jord said: But if you are just using git, I can't see why it can't be less than 512mb.

I was in doubt because of this:

vyas11 said: here<-- Ah ha! Information here might be dated but useful.

I ended up reading the same sequence of links in @vpas11 reply and asked to get some experimental knowledge.

My shared hosting provider had git, and I have many tiny repos not suitable for github like sevvices.

So... A tiny yearly payment storage vps would be enough? A 256 or 512M ram ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Neuromante said: My shared hosting provider had git, and I have many tiny repos not suitable for github like sevvices.

Keep in mind that github offers free private repos now. Just FYI.

Neuromante said: So... A tiny yearly payment storage vps would be enough? A 256 or 512M ram ?

If your shared hosting is working fine, why not keep it there?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Gogs/Gitea will run without much issue with 512M RAM,
    GitLab would need a decent bit of RAM to run, 2-4GB+ easily (last used it 2 years ago, so not sure if things have changed since).

Plain git via command line (git clone.., git push etc) would run without much issue with 256-512 MB as well.

Thanked by 2uptime Neuromante
  • raindog308 said: If your shared hosting is working fine, why not keep it there?

Lunarpages became too expensive, besides it is EIG now...

• I. What Operating system will the VPS be running on?
    Linux :)

• Debian 9 with last patches - Everyone who used Linux has preferred distro
      II. CPU:

• 1 core is enough for up to 100 users (but 2 is preferred - just in case)
      III. Providers:
      In this case I suppose everyone has opinion who is better :)
      a common saying is "I am not so rich to buy a cheap things"
      IIII. RAM:

• 2GB RAM is the recommended memory size and supports up to 100 users according to

The published GitLab hardware requirements recommend using a server with:
    2 cores
    8GB of RAM

Tested with 2 cores and 2 RAM and it is working fine.

• I understand the last post refers to gitLAB, not to gogs/gitea. I am right?

@SpeeBus, thanks. I was to ask about gogs/gitea.

• LyraHostingLyraHosting Member, Host Rep

It's a small app my man, you can also install on 256, but as they wrote, you would work fine with 2gb

• It is possible to install GIT in a VPS with less memory and CPU say 1G and 1 CPU and it should be able to pull or commit small changes without any issues.

• reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider

2GB RAM with 1 core @2Ghz+ should be fine if you will not have say more than 20 users at the same time.