Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap(~$5pm) storage VPS with good speeds to India
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap(~$5pm) storage VPS with good speeds to India

Can anyone suggest a provider offering the following specs with good peering to India

1 vcpu
1GB RAM
500GB-1TB Storage
1Gbps

Comments

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

We can offer:
    KVM Virtualization
    1GB RAM
    500GB SAS RAID-6 Storage
    2TB/month @ 1Gbps
    1 vCPU
    Virginia, Illinois, or Nevada US locations.
    $4.95/month
    or
    $6.95/month if you want the 1TB storage

Your budget is not enough for the specs you need for anything close to India geographically.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

DigitalOcean or Linode?

• fragpicfragpic Member
    edited October 2019

@SmartHost said:
    We can offer:
    KVM Virtualization
    1GB RAM
    500GB SAS RAID-6 Storage
    2TB/month @ 1Gbps
    1 vCPU
    Virginia, Illinois, or Nevada US locations.
    $4.95/month
    or
    $6.95/month if you want the 1TB storage

Your budget is not enough for the specs you need for anything close to India geographically.

US is too far way for me. I'm getting horrible speeds.
    I know my budget is low for Asia but EU can work too.
    I tried AlphaVPS, they dont have great speeds but I tested Hetzner and their speeds are adequate. I'm hoping there is a provider with a Hetzner backbone that can offer something like this.

@ViridWeb said:
    DigitalOcean or Linode?

Not sure what you mean, but they are both very expensive as a storage vps.

• This is a great search tool. Thanks a lot.

• Different providers have different speeds to your ISP at different times of the day. (because your ISP changes the preferred mix to engineer their traffic over contracted uplinks)

I have been fortunate to settle on 2-3 tiny vps for VPN in LON/AMS/DE that I rotate through depending on prevailing speeds.

Arubacloud LON/Par 1eur specials are truly special. They are always able to give me 16-20mbit PER TCP connection at sub-160ms latency. 99% of the subsequent connections from that VPN node to my storage nodes, go over premium transit like Level3 .

Do Check out ultravps.eu AMS looking glass : http://lg.ams.nl.ultravps.eu/

I used to get pretty nice speeds (30+mbit, minimum 15mbit)

Remember, Your effective download speed is only as high as the weakest link in your connection chain.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@seriesn (Nexusbytes) had some storage offer in DE that they had posted last week.
    Or if you can wait for a month, wait for BF offers.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @vimalware said:
    Different providers have different speeds to your ISP at different times of the day. (because your ISP changes the preferred mix to engineer their traffic over contracted uplinks)

I have been fortunate to settle on 2-3 tiny vps for VPN in LON/AMS/DE that I rotate through depending on prevailing speeds.

Arubacloud LON/Par 1eur specials are truly special. They are always able to give me 16-20mbit PER TCP connection at sub-160ms latency. 99% of the subsequent connections from that VPN node to my storage nodes, go over premium transit like Level3 .

Do Check out ultravps.eu AMS looking glass : http://lg.ams.nl.ultravps.eu/

I used to get pretty nice speeds (30+mbit, minimum 15mbit)

Remember, Your effective download speed is only as high as the weakest link in your connection chain.

Thanks, Arubacloud no longer seems to have that plan and their current plans are quite expensive.

UltraVPS looks promising. I'm pulling around 60Mbps, which is more than enough for me.
    Thanks for tip.

@vyas11 said:

@seriesn (Nexusbytes) had some storage offer in DE. You might want to message them I get 150 ish latency

I actually signed up for Nexusbytes's plan but they asked me for government issued photo id and I had to back out due to privacy concerns.

• @seriesn (Nexusbytes) had some storage offer in DE. You might want to message them I get 150 ish latency

I actually signed up for Nexusbytes's plan but they asked me for government issued photo id and I had to back out due to privacy concerns.

wow, thats bad. why would they need that confidential document? they're not even a big hosting company to begin with. If it's Digitalocean, I could understand. But nexusbytes?

never heard of.

• Maybe it's their upstreams that make it necessary.

Country-based risk management is the reality.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@fragpic said:

glad that ultravps worked out for you. Reg ID proof/ fraud check:

Got flagged in fraud check four times from providers on LET. PM'ed, asked nicely told them the reason why I might have been flagged... Worked in every case, been a happy user with them. I've recommended them often. (On a lighter note, we should check with them if they are happy to have me as a customer!)

Fourth who shall not be named responded in the affirmative in the discussion thread for their offer. But when it came to account setup, same problem again because different persons handle the communications here and billing/ account setup on their website. This provider was super prompt in issuing the refund though!

And then there was Hetzner. 20 Euro Deposit plus Govt ID. I decided not to proceed with that transaction. You cannot take my money and treat me like a suspected criminal at the same time.

There was a deal last week which specifically excluded India from the country their offer was open to. And then someone else who intended to say China but said Chinese, faced a mini shitstorm and then changed the verbiage.

As @vimalware said, risk management is the reality. How you respond or handle it, is a different story altogether. (Not) responding with your wallet is the best way to tackle if the service provider(s) relies on automated system or is being a dick. Unless the law requires it- as is the case I understand in Taiwan.

@creep said:
    they're not even a big hosting company to begin with. If it's Digitalocean, I could understand. But nexusbytes?

never heard of.

Try signing up with Mwt.pt and the super duper efficient fraud check system @MikePT uses. But a PM to him (or in my case, complaining in the forum - I recommend the former) can resolve things quickly. I've often given him a hard time for this but also know that messaging him works. In fact recommended him to someone very recently after checking with him.

Sometimes, automated systems can aid if size of company is limitation. Even better is automation plus human with common sense.

Edit1:
    From what I have experienced/ read on TOS for the offer or discussions here - you might also get flagged if
    a. you are using a VPN / proxy
    b. billing details and credit card details including email address registered with PP, say are different

Edit 2:
    You might also want to check out this discussion
    and
    keep checking
    wishhosting (thanks @uptime for the direct link- I knew besides the secret juice there was something else)

Edit 3:
    Finally, there is Days to Black Friday

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @vyas11 said:

@fragpic said:

And then there was Hetzner. 20 Euro Deposit plus Govt ID. I decided not to proceed with that transaction. You cannot take my money and treat me like a criminal at the same time.

Whoa. That sucks.
    I've been using Hetzner for clients for a decade.

I only signed up myself in Sep 2017 when they waived setup fees 🤯 :grimace: .
    That deposit would have pissed me off; Govt Id is fine by me.

I guess they did the math on the fraud volume vs labor cost, since then.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • Contact @Hostslick

best hosting...

Thanked by 1HostSlick
  • @fayaz90 said:
    Contact @Hostslick

best hosting...

+1 great service. Responsive folks.

Thanked by 1HostSlick
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited October 2019

@fragpic said:

Hey Man,
    Sorry it didn’t work out. But when almost every other information provided during signup process is incorrect, we kinda have to take extra measurements to be safe out there.

Just like someone else said above, we are not a big provider and we don’t have much reputation out there, similar goes to our users as well. We don’t know majority of our users personally. If you were an old LET member, with history, We would have gladly overridden it (we have done such, multiple times ). Otherwise, risk is too high boss.

Once again, I do apologize for the inconvenience and sorry it didn’t work out. You can always find an alternative provider :)

• @seriesn said:

@fragpic said:

Hey Man,
    Sorry it didn’t work out. But when almost every other information provided during signup process is incorrect, we kinda have to take extra measurements to be safe out there.

Just like someone else said above, we are not a big provider and we don’t have much reputation out there, similar goes to our users as well. We don’t know majority of our users personally. If you were an old LET member, with history, We would have gladly overridden it (we have done such, multiple times ). Otherwise, risk is too high boss.

Once again, I do apologize for the inconvenience and sorry it didn’t work out. You can always find an alternative provider :)

No worries. I understand.

• OP seems to have found a home with a house favourite ultravps.eu

Thanks for the affiliate click man.
    Let me know if you get hung up with the odd partition scheme.

• @vimalware said:
    OP seems to have found a home with a house favourite ultravps.eu

Thanks for the affiliate click man.
    Let me know if you get hung up with the odd partition scheme.

Lol, I just realized that issue.
    I am only seeing 7gb of usable space.
    How do I fix this?

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2019

Ultravps.eu templates should have the second blockdevice(drive) vdb already auto-mounted at /mnt. (check output of 'df -h')

Else, if you installed from ISO:

If you like LVM volume management , add /dev/vdb as a new PV and extend your LVM.

Or Simpler:

Edit : you'd have to create a partition table on vdb first, and then a partition vdb1, using fdisk.

Just format /dev/vdbvdb1 as ext4 (command would be 'mkfs.ext4 /dev/vdbvdb1 ' on Ubuntu),

Add a mount point entry in /etc/fstab config file pointing /mnt/data to /dev/vdb vdb1 (I leave this as a minor Google exercise)

Learn once, use forever. 👍

Thanked by 1fragpic
  • Lots of tips from a previous ultravps offerthread : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2967234/#Comment_2967234

Read through. That should give you enough to figure it out.

Thanked by 2ITLabs fragpic
  • fragpicfragpic Member
    edited October 2019

@vimalware
    Thanks for the info.
    I followed this guide and it's working now

http://kb.ultravps.eu/kvm-cloud-server/installation/ubuntu18/index.html

Thanked by 1vimalware