Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aggregating local connections via VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Aggregating local connections via VPN

Hey guys,

For quite some time I've been trying to find a suitable solution to be able to bond a local fibre connection with a 4G connection. There has been a few threads on here regarding this but I didn't want to Necro so I'm re-posting to see if anyone has any advice on how to do this as such.

Speedify is frankly useless, it's oversold as hell and super laggy. I have tried OpenMPTCPRouter and whilst it technically works, it is unreliable and breaks every 2nd day. Speedify uses something called Channel Bonding but unfortunately haven't been able to find anything about this online.

Thanks

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

How about very basic ECMP (equal-cost multi-path) routing?

It won't speed up a single stream (you usually do not want a TCP stream to be spread among multiple different lines) but multiple connections will be distributed over all available links increasing total available bandwidth.

It doesn't use any fancy piece of software. You usually just setup two (default) routes with the same cost/metric over your two connections and let your router distribute the packets. It can be combined with dynamic routing (OSPF, BGP, etc.) but you do not necessarily have to.

You can easily build this on your own with basic routing knowledge. And if you do not need anything special like using the same IP over both links there is no need for VPN, tunnel etc. Just setup ECMP and you are set. You may then fine-tune it to let certain traffic preffer a certain path etc.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

tester4 said: bond a local fibre connection with a 4G connection.

Typically there is no reason to bother, as 4G will have much lower speeds, transfer limits and a higher ping than a wired fibre connection. Did you confirm all of that are not the case on yours?

• @rm_ said:

tester4 said: bond a local fibre connection with a 4G connection.

Typically there is no reason to bother, as 4G will have much lower speeds, transfer limits and a higher ping than a wired fibre connection. Did you confirm all of that are not the case on yours?

I'm afraid all of those are not the case.

My 4G connection is faster, is unlimited and has the exact same ping with about 0.5 jitter. My 4G network/connection is incredibly stable fortunately :)

@dfroe said:
    How about very basic ECMP (equal-cost multi-path) routing?

It won't speed up a single stream (you usually do not want a TCP stream to be spread among multiple different lines) but multiple connections will be distributed over all available links increasing total available bandwidth.

It doesn't use any fancy piece of software. You usually just setup two (default) routes with the same cost/metric over your two connections and let your router distribute the packets. It can be combined with dynamic routing (OSPF, BGP, etc.) but you do not necessarily have to.

You can easily build this on your own with basic routing knowledge. And if you do not need anything special like using the same IP over both links there is no need for VPN, tunnel etc. Just setup ECMP and you are set. You may then fine-tune it to let certain traffic preffer a certain path etc.

I'd prefer to have the same IP address, this is technically possible using MPTCP so that I can set the fibre connection as the master for completely stability unless using more throughput than it can handle but yeah I've been having issues with it every few days :(