Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preventing "Neighbor" Discovery
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Preventing "Neighbor" Discovery

Assuming I have a dedicated server, serving multiple sites how do I stop individuals from finding every domain pointing to said IP/server? I am not trying to hide illegal activity nor am I really going to be a victim of denial of service attacks (and I don't fancy using Cloudflare for various reasons) however I am tired of shit heads competing for specific keywords/niches during the beginning phase of me launching sites. I always knew I was vulnerable but recently I have noticed a lot of theft or just extra competition due to individuals regularly checking what new domains I have pointed towards my server.

I know I could purchase extra IP's but they will only go so far/so many so is my only option to purchase cheap servers from wherever and use them as reverse proxies? I mean, logically speaking other than using CF or Sucuri I guess that is the only thing I can do?

Deploying a singular server for each site is also not in my interest as I would like just the 1 server, where its easy for me to manage everything.

Clarification would be nice, tyvm.

Comments

• Yes only a load balancer like CF or any other brand can hide it. Perhaps you can use a shared hosting account for small websites?

• hzrhzr Member

SmellyFingers said: and I don't fancy using Cloudflare for various reasons

What are reasons if you are trying to hide

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Smells.

• Where did you put your fingers?

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@SmellyFingers said:
    how do I stop individuals from finding every domain pointing to said IP/server?

Ok ... seems like you're already looking at options to increase the ratio of IP addresses per domain

Another angle might be to dilute the useful information by adding bogus "noise" domains (and keywords, etc.) to camouflage the distinctive aroma of your secret sauce.

(Just an idea - and most likely not a very good one!)

Thinking about it, really does seem like adding IPs or a CDN is going to be more effective than the above suggestion.

And if it turns out that the margjns are that slim, and the barriers to entry for competition are that
    low ... well, that's just how the lowend cookie crumbles sometimes, ammirite?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• If they are just randomly checking domains against your IP, just ban IPs requesting non-existent domains.

If they are only checking domains owned by you against your IP, your info is leaked somewhere else, like no whois privacy etc.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • You have to go the 1 IP per domain route in this case (since you don't want to use a CDN) + add noise by adding a few bogus niche domains in the same IP as your main domain.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

The free and easiest solution is going to be the one you don't want, using a CDN. Doing something like CloudFlare and using your server firewall to only allow CloudFlare IPs (or any other CDN) to port 80/443 is probably easiest. I don't think there's really a foolproof way otherwise, if a domain is resolving to an IP or if you have a publicly available web server, someone can find what's on it via things like SSL and other things.

• REVERSE PROXY!

Well @rick2610 did mention it patially by saying load balancer.

So what you do is get VPSs or dedicated servers with different IPs, point your domains to them (1 domain per server) and get them to point to your main server. That way each of your domains will have a unique IP address, but your main websites will still be on your main server.