Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 28
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @experttechit said:
    @AlwaysSkint

On the new server in the admin account I created an FTP account. Set it up to the admin_backup folder.

On the old server I set the backup to use the FTP account I created on the new server.

This is where it becomes real stupid..
    In the Admin account, switch to User, FTP Management ..

No Domains
    There is no default domain; you should start with creating one first

I want it to be for the hostname, not an additional domain. Grr.

• I haven't touched DirectAdmin in probably 10 maybe even 15 years, it was ok when I tested it (years ago). Of course I've used CPanel for more time than DirectAdmin so I've always stuck with it and it was always my preference and something that I stuck to and searched for in new hosts.

Right now isn't the time for me to switch to DirectAdmin but I'm hoping to do it sooner or later. Only on principle for the the insane money grab that CPanel did.

I use to run a few dedicated servers, still have some VPS's, but mainly my clients are on reseller accounts. For now I'm not affected at all as far as pricing because of balancing clients between reseller accounts. Either way I'm hoping DirectAdmin becomes easier to use than CPanel without the dependencies.

Hopefully DirectAdmin doesn't get so hot that CPanel team will buy them out also. That's another future possibility.

• @spun said:
    I haven't touched DirectAdmin in probably 10 maybe even 15 years, it was ok when I tested it (years ago). Of course I've used CPanel for more time than DirectAdmin so I've always stuck with it and it was always my preference and something that I stuck to and searched for in new hosts.

Right now isn't the time for me to switch to DirectAdmin but I'm hoping to do it sooner or later. Only on principle for the the insane money grab that CPanel did.

I use to run a few dedicated servers, still have some VPS's, but mainly my clients are on reseller accounts. For now I'm not affected at all as far as pricing because of balancing clients between reseller accounts. Either way I'm hoping DirectAdmin becomes easier to use than CPanel without the dependencies.

Hopefully DirectAdmin doesn't get so hot that CPanel team will buy them out also. That's another future possibility.

At the very least, your usage of it 10-15 years ago is more of a starting base than a lot of people had when transitioning. Although, a lot changes in that tie span.

Why not spin up a tester so you can prod it with a stick?

:hushed: :smiley:

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2019

^ I can certainly recommend @Francisco for spinning up a tester. I bet it doesn't take you a month to get a site up and running, like me. ;-)

Thanked by 2MichaelCee Francisco
  • Version 1.592 released.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ITLabs said:
    Version 1.592 released.

Looks like a great release.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • One suggestion (not sure how many people would make use of it, but it is what it is):

Including Backblaze in the storage options for DirectAdmin (scheduled) backups.

DirectAdmin's backup is almost as easy to set up as JetBackup, but it does require FTP/SFTP or similar, while Backblaze's dirt cheap storage doesn't offer such connection, only works using their API.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I’d love a wasabi integration.... :)

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Now I might be blind, but when using DirectAdmins backup system. Are you able to keep multiple backups instead of them overwriting themselves?

• @Jord said:
    Now I might be blind, but when using DirectAdmins backup system. Are you able to keep multiple backups instead of them overwriting themselves?

I didn't figure on my own at first how to make them overwrite the old versions, i.e. how not to have an unlimited stack of new backups. :)

Anyway, it can be set to keep them all, to keep weekly, monthly, etc, practically whatever you like. Not as nice and straight forward to set up as JetBackup, but it works:

https://io.bikegremlin.com/10658/directadmin-setup/#5

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited October 2019

I struggled to get (s)FTP backups to work. I ended up creating them locally (with full date suffix), then copying via webdav and rsync. Additionally, I run a bash script to find older backups and delete them. Far from ideal but at least it works, for now.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • AlwaysSkint said: Additionally, I run a bash script to find older backups and delete them. Far from ideal but at least it works, for now.

Sounds useful. I'd pay you but I'm AlwaysSkint.

:blush:

Thanked by 2ITLabs AlwaysSkint
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

DA needs to focus more on usability and key functions rather than adding advanced features if they want to make any mark in the long run.

There is a good chance that the initial backlash against cPanel might wear out over time as they continue to add key features. All they need now is to add key features. For example, v84 added features to block inbound email on a per domain basis. All that left is the ability to block outbound email on a per sender domain basis and impose daily limits on a per sender domain/cPanel basis.

It seems DA doesn't want to see themselves with features that align with cPanel. But the fact is, they will have to get cPanel users to increase their market share. In order to convince them, they will need to develop cPanel-like usability features. Otherwise, they might get support from admins but not from the vast majority of the GUI based users. It's a choice and a hard one for any developer, but they will have to make this choice.

bikegremlin said: The default directory structure differs from cPanel's. DA has:
    domains/mydomain.com/public_html
    CP has:
    home/server_username/public_html

This is just one of those features. Why would I be forced to perform additional tasks when I can do the same with just a mouse click with cPanel?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I am really liking how DA works and the control panel, but as above, some in built features are really needed.

edited October 2019

@Mic-hael said:
    Sounds useful. I'd pay you but I'm AlwaysSkint.

No you're not: I'm AlwaysSkint. Spartacus!

Added as a cronjob..

!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/find /backups/* -name "*" -mtime +3 -exec rm -rf "{}" \; > /dev/null 2>&1

EDIT2: the wildcard at the end of backups/ may be superfluous

Donations to linux mint or any other useful open source software. ;)

Thanked by 2MichaelCee uptime
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Donations to linux mint or any other useful open source software. ;)

Thank you for helping our project. On behalf of the team and as the founder of Linux Mint, I would like to express my gratitude for your generous donation.
    Our project continues to grow thanks to people like you and it's an honour for us to acknowledge your contribution at https://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php and as part of our monthly stats, at the end of month on https://blog.linuxmint.com.
    We listed your donation as "2019-10-22 United Kingdom Michael C. $1".

• So rack911 released their audit and Direct Admin is worse than the free panels.

Can't wait to see you idiots wiggle and squirm. Responses are welcome. Entertain me!

• By the way we deployed a direct admin server and in exactly 34 minutes it got rooted. I can't wait to see how you ladies react to this. Obviously fanboys and not actual customers of their software!

• So you're saying you're inept?

• @skorous said:
    So you're saying you're inept?

Thanks for proving that you're an idiot!

Please go on a real hosting forum (WHT) to see the rack911 report of Direct Admin.

Then apologize and if I'm feeling generous I might even accept ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Webzz said: So rack911 released their audit and Direct Admin is worse than the free panels.

>

Where's that so we can all read?

If this thread has taught us anything it's that @DA_Mark and @smtalk have been very receptive to changes and improvements needed.

There's no need to continuously shit on them.

Francisco

• Webzz said: Then apologize and if I'm feeling generous I might even accept ;)

Even if I gave half a shit about your opinion I've a feeling you'll be banned by then.

• @skorous said:

Webzz said: Then apologize and if I'm feeling generous I might even accept ;)

Even if I gave half a shit about your opinion I've a feeling you'll be banned by then.

Rack911 reports are my opinion? Congrats for being a confirmed troll!

• In fact consider yourself reported to the mods. Good luck with your ban!

• @MechanicWeb said:
    DA needs to focus more on usability and key functions rather than adding advanced features if they want to make any mark in the long run.

There is a good chance that the initial backlash against cPanel might wear out over time as they continue to add key features. All they need now is to add key features. For example, v84 added features to block inbound email on a per domain basis. All that left is the ability to block outbound email on a per sender domain basis and impose daily limits on a per sender domain/cPanel basis.

It seems DA doesn't want to see themselves with features that align with cPanel. But the fact is, they will have to get cPanel users to increase their market share. In order to convince them, they will need to develop cPanel-like usability features. Otherwise, they might get support from admins but not from the vast majority of the GUI based users. It's a choice and a hard one for any developer, but they will have to make this choice.

bikegremlin said: The default directory structure differs from cPanel's. DA has:
    domains/mydomain.com/public_html
    CP has:
    home/server_username/public_html

This is just one of those features. Why would I be forced to perform additional tasks when I can do the same with just a mouse click with cPanel?

Some good points. Technical, but also marketing aspect is "touched" a bit. Marketing is very important - this case is not exempt from it.

Current cPanel pricing (and the way it was implemented, suddenly, people feeling betrayed) is what (for now) practically dictates and "guarantees" a fair share of customers for DirectAdmin. With no 3rd option on the horizon.

Implementing many suggested options and improvements takes time and money.
    It is not 100% guaranteed that, after having implemented everything, many more customers will come in. It is likely, but who could tell for certain?

Depending on how much further development in that direction costs, DA might decide it's not worth it. Or could decide it's not where they want to go. More customers, more money, more features - all bring new problems of their own.

If DA chooses to try and "beat" cPanel, they also might decide to take it slowly and surely - with thorough testing before implementing.

For customers it will be hard to tell which one of those it is. :)
    For DA it would probably be foolish (from a marketing point of view) to admit if it is the former one. Especially since I'm sure it's hard to decide on that right now, suppose there's many things going on suddenly for DA (large influx of customers and many features requested/being developed).

P.S. Don't feed the trolls.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @Webzz said:
    By the way we deployed a direct admin server and in exactly 34 minutes it got rooted.

So you can’t secure a server yet blamed the control panel for getting rooted. DA has no ability to secure your server but what it does is provide a platform for you to host and manage websites in an easy to use panel.

There is no published link to the Rack911 report as it doesn’t exist and you are just trolling, move along

• I see a ban incoming in 3, 2, 1...

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

Move on from the troll my friends

(Steven, Rack911, 2nd July 2019)

We have worked with directadmin and interworx many times over the years. We do find things from time to time but they are very responsible on fixing them. These panels listed either we have never looked at or its been a long time since we last looked.

Directadmin and Interworx are both very reasonable alternatives to cPanel when it comes to security.

(Patrick, Rack911, 2nd July 2019)

We have extensively gone over DirectAdmin, Plesk, InterWorx & ISPManager at some point in time.

While I can't speak of their current security status, I'm confident they are (most likely) more secure than the 8 alternative panels listed above.

Edit:

What Steven said!

And nothing notable pops out since apart from a fix release because of a Rack911 report here.

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • BTW, version 1.59.3 released with some minor fixes.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @ITLabs said:
    BTW, version 1.59.3 released with some minor fixes.

I'd say 2019 has been a productive year for DA =]

based on manually added figures from directadmin.com - could be wrong.

Thanked by 1ITLabs