Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway's major f*ck up - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway's major f*ck up

2»

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@somik

No. Old hardware usually is not the problem. The problem is that very cheap hosting tends to be based on single power supply, non Raid (and/or with worn out battery), (often heavily) used hard drives, etc.
    That is what makes things flaky, not an E26xx v3 vs current or DDR3 vs DDR4.

• @jsg said:
    @somik

No. Old hardware usually is not the problem. The problem is that very cheap hosting tends to be based on single power supply, non Raid (and/or with worn out battery), (often heavily) used hard drives, etc.
    That is what makes things flaky, not an E26xx v3 vs current or DDR3 vs DDR4.

Agree with you there. Thats what I meant with "outdated and used". I did not consider redundent power supply or RAID drives though. Good point there.

• Distributed systems are Hard.

If you don't understand all the SPOFs in your provider's kit, make sure you're ready to recover from every conceivable one, on your own.

@Developer_HZH said:
    Maybe try Hetzner cloud with CEPH:(

I wouldn't run anything off Ceph exclusively either(without an offsite backup on non-ceph storage.)

All it takes is a software update or a public CVE to screw your happiness.

• Hello @Tripleflix,

I’m Thomas, Product Marketing Manager at Scaleway. I’m truly sorry about this incident. We work hard to provide a stable and reliable service, but despite our vigilance, crashes do happen as some have said before.

VC1 is an old generation of instances and doesn’t offer RAID indeed, but our current Development and General Purpose Instances do include replicated storage by default. We also have an automatic backup feature in the pipeline that should make disaster recovery easier.

We will be happy to let you test our DEV1-S for free as a compensation. Please do not hesitate to contact our assistance team, we’ll answer you shortly.

• @thomasschmit said:
    Hello @Tripleflix,

I’m Thomas, Product Marketing Manager at Scaleway. I’m truly sorry about this incident. We work hard to provide a stable and reliable service, but despite our vigilance, crashes do happen as some have said before.

VC1 is an old generation of instances and doesn’t offer RAID indeed, but our current Development and General Purpose Instances do include replicated storage by default. We also have an automatic backup feature in the pipeline that should make disaster recovery easier.

We will be happy to let you test our DEV1-S for free as a compensation. Please do not hesitate to contact our assistance team, we’ll answer you shortly.

Ah, a proper reply from a host.

Starts reply with an apology.

Explains the situation and what actions are being taken to prevent this in future.

Offers a proper compensation that is not a "discount coupon".

Many hosts can learn from this post.

• Still, that'd be Scaleway. Horrible templates, contorted IPv4, fubar IPv6.

• Thanked by 2ITLabs alilet
  • How much were you paying for your Scaleway VPS?

• @FHR said:

Developer_HZH said: Maybe try Hetzner cloud with CEPH:(

From my experience, their Ceph instances are fairly unstable; I experienced quite a few hiccups in the past months. Local storage ones are definitely better.

I just used their ceph plan for a short while and didn't notice any hiccups... So thanks for your experience, I would not recommend others to try their ceph plan anymore if high availability required.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited October 2019

@Developer_HZH said:

@FHR said:

Developer_HZH said: Maybe try Hetzner cloud with CEPH:(

From my experience, their Ceph instances are fairly unstable; I experienced quite a few hiccups in the past months. Local storage ones are definitely better.

I just used their ceph plan for a short while and didn't notice any hiccups... So thanks for your experience, I would not recommend others to try their ceph plan anymore if high availability required.

I migrate last month NVMe to Ceph, i got kernel panic one time. (storage issue), but performace it seems better. (ioping/dd bench) @Hetzner_OL