Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NordVPN hacked
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NordVPN hacked

If you are on NordVPN, it's time to change your VPN provider.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• Wonder what happens to their SS Deal now

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2019

All those videos of miserable youtuber trash telling people would be safe, encrypted and anonymous if they use NordVPN...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is Amitzly nigh.

• I thought Nord was one of the more top level providers. Who's next on the list to try?

• they should apologize and give 5 years free VPN to their customers.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @creep said:
    they should apologize and give 5 years free VPN to their customers.

You still dare to use?

• NordVPN is the most safe now. Hackers are not anymore interested. They will try others.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • @MGarbis said:
    NordVPN is the most safe now. Hackers are not anymore interested. They will try others.

uhhhh

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2019

If I was going to use a big vpn provider I’d rather pick one that learned a valuable lesson than one that hasn’t yet.

I submit that everyone makes mistakes somewhere, the ones who haven’t been caught in theirs yet are the ones that haven’t learned their lesson yet.

But... I prefer to learn from my own these days. Too easy to roll your own on the VPN side.

• @jar said:
    If I was going to use a big vpn provider I’d rather pick one that learned a valuable lesson than one that hasn’t yet.

I submit that everyone makes mistakes somewhere, the ones who haven’t been caught in theirs yet are the ones that haven’t learned their lesson yet.

But... I prefer to learn from my own these days. Too easy to roll your own on the VPN side.

Beats the purpose of anonymity though.

Thanked by 3jar Chronic Ole_Juul
  • cazrzcazrz Member
    edited October 2019

As the cardboard boxes says, let's move forward, no left and right.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

This anonymity thing is getting out of hand.

Soon enough, kids won't know who his/her parents are and parents won't know who their kids are.

This will result in too many inbreds and thus the end of man kind.

AMITZ!

• @poisson said:

@creep said:

You still dare to use?

I don't use Linux anymore, too many exploits.

Thanked by 4Janevski ntlx Chuck sin
  • @creep said:

I recommend Windows for greater security because lots of hackers will help you find the problems on your system.

• @poisson said:

@creep said:

I recommend Windows for greater security because lots of hackers will help you find the problems on your system.

tbh I use openBSD in nordVPN, some exploits have been patched and I can safely still use it.

• @creep said:

@poisson said:

@creep said:

You still dare to use?

Intel CPUs and AMD BIOSes are also unsafe.

• @FootKaput said:
    I thought Nord was one of the more top level providers. Who's next on the list to try?

I have been very happy with my lifetime deals of Ivacy and Windscribe. Both running solid since years. I don't expect privacy or anonymity though. I mostly use it for geo unblocking or on public wifi hoping it's the lesser of the two evils.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

"XYZ VPN is a bad mantra! I only trust in the OpenBSD mantra" ... (well if it makes you feel well ...)

I know that NordVPN is a sh_tty provider and shouldn't be trusted. Plus, despite their huge revenue they are slow. That's why I don't use them anymore although I had bought a 3 year plan.

lxc-ls? lxc-console? So, at least many of their "huuuge variety of servers" is fake. In fact they run containers on not-so-many at all dedis. And they run on linux.

Their reaction (like keeping their users in the dark for months) is very poor; it's the classical corporate damage minimization + lots of PR Blah routine.

BUT: Will they loose loads of customers? Probably not. Probably they'll run a "We value your loyality" action offering a nice rebate ... and most of the customer herd is going to stay. In fact, I'm even expecting funny psycho-drama like customers praising NordVPN for their "clear attitude", "openly confessing there was a problem and fixing it,. That's how it should be done!!!", blabla.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2019

Regarding NordVPN there's also:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/139517/about-nordvpn/p1

Glad I stopped using them a long while ago.

• @Janevski said:

@creep said:

@poisson said:

@creep said:

You still dare to use?

that's bad. How dare you to still use it?

• @jsg said:
    "XYZ VPN is a bad mantra! I only trust in the OpenBSD mantra" ... (well if it makes you feel well ...)

I know that NordVPN is a sh_tty provider and shouldn't be trusted. Plus, despite their huge revenue they are slow. That's why I don't use them anymore although I had bought a 3 year plan.

lxc-ls? lxc-console? So, at least many of their "huuuge variety of servers" is fake. In fact they run containers on not-so-many at all dedis. And they run on linux.

Their reaction (like keeping their users in the dark for months) is very poor; it's the classical corporate damage minimization + lots of PR Blah routine.

BUT: Will they loose loads of customers? Probably not. Probably they'll run a "We value your loyality" action offering a nice rebate ... and most of the customer herd is going to stay. In fact, I'm even expecting funny psycho-drama like customers praising NordVPN for their "clear attitude", "openly confessing there was a problem and fixing it,. That's how it should be done!!!", blabla.

dont let the premium subscription be wasted. I volunteer to accept it.

• @creep said:

@Janevski said:

@creep said:

@poisson said:

@creep said:

You still dare to use?

that's bad. How dare you to still use it?

Wtf amd bioses...

ASUS bioses...

• It is not good to believe that you can be "anonymous" with just one VPN and to relay on this. But since this is not topic for security let leave it on this. And probably @jar is correct. There is always someone better. The point is to take a actions after a mistake and go forward.

• ntlxntlx Member
    edited October 2019

@FootKaput said:
    I thought Nord was one of the more top level providers. Who's next on the list to try?

Legitimately curious to know? ProtonMail's VPN service (much like their email service) has been totally bulletproof for me in my use of it for the last few months.

You can't go wrong with the DIY approach though: set up an instance of the excellent and very easy to use PiVPN https://www.pivpn.io (designed to run on a Raspberry Pi but obviously will run on any number of similarly spec'd out SBCs.)

Combine it with Pi-Hole https://www.pi-hole.net - one of my favorite little free tools For anyone having issues combining the two, here's the article I used to help myself out when I set this up at home: https://marcstan.net/blog/2017/06/25/PiVPN-and-Pi-hole/

For less than $30 or so (or free, as I'm sure most folks here have an old machine or two they have laying around collecting dust that'll do this work just fine) you can have yourself a lifetime free account offering you the very best VPN and ad-blocking/anonymity boosting services you can get. Hard to beat that.

• Try mullvad if you're looking for a VPN that takes security & privacy very serious. They don't even have accounts (just numbers) and you can even send them cash via post to pay for the service if you want.

• @datacean said:
    Try mullvad if you're looking for a VPN that takes security & privacy very serious. They don't even have accounts (just numbers) and you can even send them cash via post to pay for the service if you want.

I've once heard they are mostly running on vps. Incloak VPN also offers a "number" account system.

• Oh noes now how will people smuggle import premium Kazakh potassium anonymously?!

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • somiksomik Member
    edited October 2019

Sigh... so now VPN providers are getting hacked? Linus from LinusTechTips will receive a strongly worded email from me for promoting NordVPN!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2019

Creanova's response.

Nord's response to the above.

aaand..

The provider is full of these results from shodan search.