Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we start to ban offers with OpenVZ 6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should we start to ban offers with OpenVZ 6?

lt's less then a month until its EOL, right?

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I don't think there's a need to ban OVZ 6 offers.

If people still buy OVZ 6 servers, it's their own fault.

Thanked by 2malek webcraft
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Main thing you'll run into is a lot of the inhouse CC brands are all OVZ 6 and will likely keep selling OVZ6 past its EOL.

They might put out an OVZ7 node here there but there's a high chance you'll backfill to an OVZ6 node.

Francisco

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Does it really take that much to migrate from OVZ6 to OVZ7? No, but are you willing to accept the downtime?

If you want your provider to setup a OVZ7 node just to migrate the users to it, what does the provider gain from spending extra for the node for the month?

So unless there is a glaring flaw in OVZ6 that forces everyone to switch to OVZ7, the switchover will be slow.

Then again, LXC is gaining popularity now a days, so maybe switch to that instead?

• No need to ban prematurely. Furthermore, people should pay attention to what they purchase.

In any case, a ban wouldn't stop the feed of OVZ 6 offers from LEB.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

We should have banned it like 1 month before.
    10 Days and its EOL.

Still waiting for a zero day after its EOL, getting some popcorn and watch the providers who still using OVZ 6.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

In 2020 .. maybe.

But don’t ban, just remove provider tag.

Also, keep in mind that I believe Cloud Linux have talked about maintaining vz6 and its 2.32vz kernel up to the EOL of CentOS 6 which gives it a full extra viable year of life.

Obviously that would change things, vz8 is likely just around the corner as well.

Thanked by 1supakika

@AnthonySmith said:
    Also, keep in mind that I believe Cloud Linux have talked about maintaining vz6 and its 2.32vz kernel up to the EOL of CentOS 6 which gives it a full extra viable year of life.

Stop keeping that bullshit alive, OVZ6 was released in 2011 with a 5 YEAR OLD KERNEL.
    Now the Kernel is older then Windows XP and people seriously want to keep it alive for another YEAR?

Linux is currently at 5.x.......

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Neoon said:
    10 Days and its EOL.

Is the EOL on 01 November or on 30 November? I thought that it was the latter. Anyway ...

... Instead of a ban, I would be more for introducing a rule that says that any OVZ offer should specify whether it's OVZ 6 or OVZ 7.

• @angstrom said:

@Neoon said:
    10 Days and its EOL.

Is the EOL on 01 November or on 30 November? I thought that it was the latter. Anyway ...

... Instead of a ban, I would be more for introducing a rule that says that any OVZ offer should specify whether it's OVZ 6 or OVZ 7.

Agreed. With a forum sticky noting the differences and what to consider. Namely, security and patch availability. ovz6 is still a viable option for some projects, definitely not production.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

And here I am still surprised people want to order OpenVZ VPS instead of KVM.

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam

@MikeA said:
    And here I am still surprised people want to order OpenVZ VPS instead of KVM.

Because its cheaper, except while BF you may see cheaper KVM's.

• Since when does LET accept to promote software no longer supported?! I thought we should accept software which is actively supported/mantained and does not pose a security issue for consumers.

The opening post is a great idea. LET should create a rule to stop OpenVZ 6 advertisement on LET. I am totally with this, and (in my humble opinion) LET should embrace technology enhancements and not accept security holes and possible vulnerabilities.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • default said: Since when does LET accept to promote software no longer supported?! I thought we should accept software which is actively supported/mantained and does not pose a security issue for consumers.

The opening post is a great idea. LET should create a rule to stop OpenVZ 6 advertisement on LET. I am totally with this, and (in my humble opinion) LET should embrace technology enhancements and not accept security holes and possible vulnerabilities.

Agreed, but in the same breath, you're talking about open source software which isn't commercially maintained. There's bound to be omissions in user testing, security testing etc.

I don't see a problem with allowing these offers but with an opening sticky regarding the differences and implications of using an older OS/Software combo. Providers should also highlight the differences on their checkout, possibly warning them of the lack of support for the service. But that's not something LET should or could enforce fully.

edited October 2019

Neoon said: Stop keeping that bullshit alive, OVZ6 was released in 2011 with a 5 YEAR OLD KERNEL.
    Now the Kernel is older then Windows XP and people seriously want to keep it alive for another YEAR?

Linux is currently at 5.x.......

@Neoon stop being a pleb, I know you are not that stupid, what you are saying is either deliberately misleading or I was wrong and you are that stupid.

Thanked by 2skorous TimboJones
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

@omelas said:
    lt's less then a month until its EOL, right?

Why? Who are you to decide what people buy or not?
    Are you the precedent of the Internet world?

If people still want to buy openvz 6then what's your problem?

Will you pay our invoices if we buy only openvz 7?

Edited: I personally like the KVM instead of openvz

edited October 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    @Neoon stop being a pleb, I know you are not that stupid, what you are saying is either deliberately misleading or I was wrong and you are that stupid.

Well the 2.6.xx was released in 2006 which OVZ6 uses, and about 2019/2020 its 14 years old same age as Windows XP.
    And keeping that thing another year a life alive makes it longer then Windows XP was supported.

Besides, the old age of that software, all the features that its missing since then and limits you to certain OS selection.
    But it looks like, people somehow still like old 14 year old software.

• tgltgl Member
    edited October 2019

a ban would not make sense, what would make sense is a sticky thread tell people OVZ6 is EOL and let people know what they buy, also an obligation for the providers to specify the version they provide, because I am sure many will just put OpenVZ in their offers, and let people decide if they will ask or not

Thanked by 2default Chronic
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2019

One thing is for sure: I do not wish to buy OVZ 6 anymore, and wish to be informed by the provider about what OVZ they are using, before buying any services with old kernel/software on LET. On this note, I want advertisements to state which version of OVZ is used.

• depends. if they sell it $2/year with 1 ipv4 , damn I will buy 10.

Thanked by 1default
  • @default said: On this note, I want advertisements to state which version of OVZ is used.

This is what I proposed above.

In other words: Inform people correctly, and let them decide for themselves. One could imagine a ban later, but it's still too early for this.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • Instead, Here's a list of providers who have migrated/migrating in a timely manner to meet Ovz6's end-of-support deadline:

Vote with your wallets LET. Feel free to add to my list. I can't seem to recall more.

Don't say no one warned you about buying ridiculous oversold ovz6 'specials' in 4-5 weeks (BlackFriday, CyberMonday)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2019

@vimalware said:

Don't say no one warned you about buying ridiculous oversold ovz6 'specials' in 4-5 weeks (BlackFriday, CyberMonday)

Hence why is extremely important to establish some mandatory rule for providers about advertising services with OpenVZ. They should specify in advertisements which version of OVZ is used, because first thought is about OVZ 7 (the current version).

edited October 2019

Neoon said: Well the 2.6.xx was released in 2006 which OVZ6 uses

https://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel6-2.6.32/042stab140.4/

15th Oct 2019.

As well you know the 2.32 vz kernel is not the same thing as the standard 2.32 kernel, it is heavily back ported and probably would sit closer to a later 3.x kernel.

Either way, it is in support, it can be used, suggesting hosts should be bleeding edge over stable is ridiculous.

When things are EOL and no longer in support then fair enough, but an alternative has existed for a long time now, virtuozzo 7, it provides the same density and greater compatibility than OpenVZ 6 keeping prices low which is after all, what people want here.

It just took a while for the control panel vendors to catch up.

• There can be a sticky listing OVZ7 hosts. Those who like an unprotected experience can choose OVZ6 hosts.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

nothing personal

but just to point out

how many panels are still running on softwares approaching eol

i personally know of many providers running the node on centos5

also how many billing panels running on no updates

what all do we ban? and till where do we draw the line?

• Just imagining someday, the first page of LET will be full of sticky threads to avoid this and that.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Maybe not ban but make the consequences clear/obvious for buyers to consider?

• @thedp said:
    Maybe not ban but make the consequences clear/obvious for buyers to consider?

Exactly. Ban may not be the solution, but products and services must be clearly labeled.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited October 2019

I know a few providers who relied heavily on Nodewatch to keep check on abuse on VZ6 so may be they have not been able to find its alternative for VZ7 & hence are afraid to migrate to it.

But yes it is right of the customers to know whether they are ordering VZ6 or VZ7 so it should be mandatory for providers to mention that in their offer threads.