Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2019

ras07 said: For huge customers, sure. I get that. But that totally defeats the marketing purpose of the free offering. It's supposedly there to show you how easy and powerful it is. What it really does is show you how difficult and limited it is.

You are not the target market then. You are looking for a VPS.

Non-huge customers do use k8s and terraform..

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @hzr said:

ras07 said: For huge customers, sure. I get that. But that totally defeats the marketing purpose of the free offering. It's supposedly there to show you how easy and powerful it is. What it really does is show you how difficult and limited it is.

You are not the target market then. You are looking for a VPS.

Of course. But then how does the free tier make sense from a marketing perspective? What are you, the provider, trying to demonstrate to me, the huge customer?

Non-huge customers do use k8s and terraform..

Still not the point. Forget the non-huge customer, what are you trying to prove to the huge customer? "Ease-of-use" and "capability" should be top of mind. They fail on both points.

• @ras07 Use the panel for a bit and you'll figure everything out. It's not difficult but it is new.

@hzr why would you recommend something like terraform and kubernetes to someone that has an issue with something as simple as the Oracle's cloud panel? :))

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @hzr said:
    You are supposed to provision with Terraform or the API. The UI is not meant to be used.

https://xkcd.com/378/

Of course the UI is meant to be used. That's why it's there. You use whatever deployment method works best for your usage case.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2019

xaoc said: @hzr why would you recommend something like terraform and kubernetes to someone that has an issue with something as simple as the Oracle's cloud panel? :))

I use terraform and it's much simpler than clicking around in an unknown UI. The terraform docs are much shorter and come with examples for launching a vm!

This is like the AWS problem - the UI is last-class abomination because specifically no one uses it! Lightsail is the equivalent for users that want a VPS. Otherwise everyone uses terraform, cloudformation, etc for the "real" AWS portion that isn't Lightsail

ras07 said: Forget the non-huge customer, what are you trying to prove to the huge customer? "Ease-of-use" and "capability" should be top of mind. They fail on both points.

For dayjob (large software) I don't care about manually clicking - I want infrastructure as code, immutable and re-deployable. It is not about ease of use UI, it is ease of use and sane API, well implemented client libraries, etc.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

After 9K views on this thread and 305 comments...you know, maybe I should get around to trying the Oracle Cloud Free Tier...

Thanked by 5ITLabs Chuck Ouji lentro tux
  • @ras07 said:
    Yikes. I get that free is free, but this is the most convoluted system I've ever used.

What part of "Oracle" did you not understand?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

At one point, Amazon had multiple (many) 16-node and larger Oracle RAC databases, some of which backed the main amazon.com site.

Interesting what "R" on the RDS they're running. I'm highly skeptical it's MySQL but possibly Pg. Or Oracle?!? Not sure how much of this is games-playing with marketing...is running Oracle on Amazon AWS RDS the same as having internal Oracle in this article? Who cares.

OTOH, a colleague tells me that Apple keeps filling datacenters with Exadata machines.

I suspect Amazon's internal infrastructure engineering knowledge is the differentiator here. They created a lot of the database technologies they're moving to, so it's not hard for them to take their own requirements into account. OTOH, Apple uses off-the-shelf hardware and software components in datacenters.

• This sounds interesting to have as a backup server. Are you guys also using the free AWS or Google Cloud VMs?

• "We migrated 75 petabytes of internal data stored in nearly 7,500 Oracle databases to multiple AWS database services [...]"

An insane quantity

• berndy2001berndy2001 Member
    edited October 2019

@HackedServer said:
    Has anyone managed to get a Debian image to work? I built both 10 and 9, but neither comes up.

Have you tried to open a vnc-connection to see whats happening? You have to create a console connection first.

@dfroe said:

@suricloud said:
    Any idea how to get Debian 10 on this?

As already mentioned by @ynzheng:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3022902/#Comment_3022902

wget https://moeclub.org/attachment/LinuxShell/InstallNET.sh
    bash InstallNET.sh -d 9 -v 64 -a -firmware

This will install Debian 9 on the machine.
    The installer requires IP configuration to be present under /etc/network/interfaces
    It takes some time after rebooting to finish.
    After logging in to your Debian 9, you can easily do a dist-upgrade to Debian 10 straight forward.

-d 10 also works.

• I> @Skidmark said:

This sounds interesting to have as a backup server. Are you guys also using the free AWS or Google Cloud VMs?

I'm using GCP to host a website but I still have to discover why need Oracle's VMs.

Maybe I'll use them to download Linux distros, since my servers are in Switzerland 😏

Is the free AWS legit? What can you do with it?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited October 2019

@479555 said:
    Is the free AWS legit?

Very legit, by Amazon.

• @farsighter said:

@479555 said:
    Is the free AWS legit?

Very legit, by Amazon.

Yeah, but I mean can you create a totally and indefinitely free VPS with AWS as well?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • xaocxaoc Member
    edited October 2019

@479555 said:

@farsighter said:

@479555 said:
    Is the free AWS legit?

Very legit, by Amazon.

Yeah, but I mean can you create a totally and indefinitely free VPS with AWS as well?

12 months only of ec2 as per their offer page. You get 1 month of lightsail as well.

Edit: Forgot to add https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Thanked by 1479555
  • Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

I wonder what is the definition of "active usage" here.

• how will it keep free, 1 year ?

• @vaviloff said:
    Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

I wonder what is the definition of "active usage" here.

It's in the manual:

If your Always Free Autonomous Database has no activity for a period of 7 consecutive days, the Database service will stop the database automatically. If this happens, you are allowed to restart the database and continue using it. If your Always Free Autonomous Database remains in a stopped state for 3 consecutive months, the resource will be reclaimed by the Database service.

Thanked by 1vaviloff
  • bapbap Member

@cnzhangquan said:
    how will it keep free, 1 year ?

soon, when they realize that peoples love free stuff without using the paid one.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @xaoc said:

@skizoid said:

@rafaelscs said:
    I send mail to support and ip reserved is free

There is any limitation for how many ip reserved that we can create?

50 public ips.

+2 if you assigned a public ip when creating the VM.

An instance can only have 33 of those attached.

Has anyone figured out how to set reverse dns on those public ips? My ZNCs would look so much better with a custom vhost. :relaxed:

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2019

I have reserved two public IPs.
    If these are free, then I guess I'm tempted to run DNS.

Also, on Oct 16,the last day of my $300 trial credits, I was unable to provision any EPYC based instances, huge or micro. ('out of host capacity' error msg )
    Datacenter was Mumbai.

I did manage to spin up a dual core Intel KVM just for Geekbench lulz.

• loeloe Member
    edited October 2019

bap said: soon, when they realize that peoples love free stuff without using the paid one.

They have the cash to pay for some "free" stuff if they consider that this might bring them more sales in the future. IMO they didn't believe there were that many broke addicts hobbyists that could be interested in their crap, as in their minds the world if full of tech companies, startups and CEOs...

• Think they under> @loe said:

bap said: soon, when they realize that peoples love free stuff without using the paid one.

They have the cash to pay for some "free" stuff if they consider that this might bring them more sales in the future. IMO they didn't believe there were that many broke addicts hobbyists that could be interested in their crap, as in their minds the world if full of tech companies, startups and CEOs...

Not really a question of cost even. Playing with this even though I've got a ton of azure credits anyway.

Anyway...seems like they're not charging for ipv4.

• Anyone in Tokyo can still running the instance after stopped/restart? I'm unable to start my instance after purposely stopped the instance for days.

• umeume Member

@NanoG6 said:
    Anyone in Tokyo can still running the instance after stopped/restart? I'm unable to start my instance after purposely stopped the instance for days.

I stopped one of my instance as well some weeks ago. Since then I'm also unable to start it again. Would be nice if they would return a nice error message, that they are out of free resources again.

• So you still have one running? Don't ever restart the instance then

• @ume said:

@NanoG6 said:
    Anyone in Tokyo can still running the instance after stopped/restart? I'm unable to start my instance after purposely stopped the instance for days.

I stopped one of my instance as well some weeks ago. Since then I'm also unable to start it again. Would be nice if they would return a nice error message, that they are out of free resources again.

"Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account"

I can only guess that since those VMs are in high demand they have low tolerance for idlers, up to several days only.

• @rm_ said:

marrco said: Did you find where to set the ptr?

No. Doesn't seem to be any way to set it.

True that. I tried to talk to some tech support but they're f clueless

• Has anyone pushed over 100GB of egress directly from the VM (and not via the Load balancer) ?

It's not clear to me if the 10TB 'free transfer' is only for LBs. (10mbit restricted)