Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS: Linux or Windows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS: Linux or Windows?

I've read many opinions about both, Linux and Windows VPSes and I created an opinion that Linux OS is way better than windows vps server.
Am I wrong? Can someone comment on this question? What are your opinions?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

Did you have to ask this?

Microsoft themselves do not use Windows servers.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • hzrhzr Member

You can't afford a Windows or Linux VPS if you can't afford $0.01 shared hosting.

• @hzr said:
    You can't afford a Windows or Linux VPS if you can't afford $0.01 shared hosting.

So is it really bad to just ask?

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • @CokoMleko

Try to make more comments than threads

Thanked by 3CokoMleko ITLabs lazyt
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

It's okay to ask. What you've asked though is the obvious.

It's like asking an alien whether it's an alien. Or asking WSS whether he's really WSS.

• @CokoMleko said:
    What are your opinions?

You can use Markdown in your post.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Sorry but I don't get this. Perhaps the question is wrong to begin with :neutral:

• tgltgl Member

Mostly Windows servers are used just when its required (some .NET stuff, or some Windows app), or else they make no sense, or well it does if you want to justify how you spent your money for some project.

Thanked by 1CokoMleko
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Each has it's purpose, and the answer to that is relevant to your specific needs alone.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

It's ultimately depens on your usage! Give us more details and we may be able to recommend the one that suit your needs ;)

• Linux for linux applications
    Windows for windows applications
    That's it

Thanked by 2ITLabs Janevski
  • Linux is more efficient but requires learning.

• @Jorbox said:
    Linux for linux applications
    Windows for windows applications
    That's it

This

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited October 2019

@corbpie said:
    Linux is more efficient but requires learning.

I never use windows server, so windows is also require learning

-> it is strange to configure everything using mouse and click :smiley:

• somiksomik Member
    edited October 2019

Windows server is great for remote apps. This is a situation where you host your application on windows server and when the users open the application on their computer, it runs directly from the windows server. It requires a powerful windows server and lets you get away with lousy client computers.

There are also situations where you require Windows Server for specific windows based applications you require on your hosting plan.

So there is no such situation as Linux is always better then windows. It is just that for most use cases, linux is better then windows, but there are some situations where windows is better then linux.

Thanked by 1grep
  • Debian > Centos.

Thanked by 2Janevski dahartigan
  • If you read the below you will get why people usually prefer Linux:
    1. Linux is totally free of charge
    2. Linux is way more secure than Windows (but this is obvious :) )
    3. Linux is Lightweight and Fast
    4. 99% of the time, Linux doesn’t require you to reboot computer to update software, edit system settings or something like that
    5. You can customize Linux to do whatever you want to do and let it behave however you want it to behave.
    6. Linux is a community-driven project. Ask and the community tell what you have done and they will provide you a solution
    I like very much this "quality" of the Linux - People are oriented to help

So that is the top basic's thinks why Linux is better :)

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

Nevermind, lack of coffee. :-(

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Linux is about control. You know more about what goes under Linux's hood than Windows. The problem is learning how to control it well. Windows makes easy tasks easy and difficult tasks difficult. Linux makes difficult tasks easy (if you learn it well), although sometimes easy tasks can be frustrating once in a while when you don't know how to do it at first.

Thanked by 2uptime Ouji
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2019

@somik said:
    So there is no such situation as Linux is always better then windows. It is just that for most use cases, linux is better then windows, but there are some situations where windows is better then linux.

Then? Then what?! :neutral:

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@somik said:

Summary:
    Stick with linux unless you have a specific reason that you need windows for.

• @somik said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@somik said:

Summary:
    Stick with linux unless you have a specific reason that you need windows for.

Whoosh! (Flies overhead).
    https://www.dictionary.com/e/then-than/

• ASP.Net Core can be hosted on Linux, and so is SQL Server. Those used to be two main use cases for a Windows VPS.

Only reason to get one now is akin to getting an elective lobotomy - for shits and giggles and to kill brain cells.

• Server wise I don't know why anyone would choose Windows. I learned Linux after upgrading from shared hosting to OVZ6 VPS to KVM and then to a cheapo dedi with Kimsufi. After all that I formatted my HDD, installed Mint and put windows in a VM to be activated only when necessary. I have left the dark side.

• Linux if it can do everything you need. Not having to pay the licensing costs is good

• @Cloudware said:
    If you read the below you will get why people usually prefer Linux:
    1. Linux is totally free of charge
    2. Linux is way more secure than Windows (but this is obvious :) )
    3. Linux is Lightweight and Fast
    4. 99% of the time, Linux doesn’t require you to reboot computer to update software, edit system settings or something like that
    5. You can customize Linux to do whatever you want to do and let it behave however you want it to behave.
    6. Linux is a community-driven project. Ask and the community tell what you have done and they will provide you a solution
    I like very much this "quality" of the Linux - People are oriented to help

So that is the top basic's thinks why Linux is better :)

Wow, thank you so much, sorry if I asked an easy question, I am just newbie, so I want to learn as much as possible, anyway thanks for the answer

• Linux is a better choice for server applications.

Linux Pros :

It is open-sourced and thus freely available.
    It is very secured and less prone to any cyber threats.
    It supports multitasking functionality.
    It also provides administrative from the system admin support perspective.

Windows Cons :

It is not freely available and involved in a high-cost licensing approach.
    It is vulnerable to security threats and cyber crimes.
    It is not a favorable option from the multi-user perspective.
    It is also prone to user made errors and malwares.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@CokoMleko said:
    I've read many opinions about both, Linux and Windows VPSes and I created an opinion that Linux OS is way better than windows vps server.

In your case the answer is clearly WINDOWS - with face recognition and fingerprint reader.

• @jsg said:

@CokoMleko said:

In your case the answer is clearly WINDOWS - with face recognition and fingerprint reader.

How do you use finger print or facial recognition on a server? You high bro?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I miss @bro