Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MailChannels Price Increase - Surprise! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MailChannels Price Increase - Surprise!

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

jar said: I'll be glad to update the post but I asked for escalation and confirmation, I only continually received "Send better emails" (paraphrased).

PM me the ticket ID, I'll have that escalated properly :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

bikegremlin said: Two things to consider:

1)
    What is the average yearly inflation rate in $ and euros?
    Did the prices stay put for years, decade, or get changed every year?

Upping prices based on inflation is fantasy.

• SpamWall has a product SafeRoute that works ok but only has a single dedicated IP. I told them that was an issue when I finished my test last week and they came back and said they just added additional dedicated IP's for each service level for all their services and delivery was randomized amongst the IP's so its an alternative to MailChannels worth checking out. Free 30 day trial which I used to test their service.

Thanked by 2cazrz MechanicWeb
  • @MechanicWeb said:

bikegremlin said: Two things to consider:

1)
    What is the average yearly inflation rate in $ and euros?
    Did the prices stay put for years, decade, or get changed every year?

Upping prices based on inflation is fantasy.

Fair enough (even though I rarely see the prices of goods and services I use to not be on the rise from year to year). Still:

If you provide a service that is of good quality and widely used (both those conditions fulfilled), it can be said you've created a brand. That gives you options to keep the prices and (perhaps) get more and more customers (up to a point), as well as an option to rise the prices - which, depending on the amount of price increase and how you market it, in the best case scenario, keeps you the rising number of clients, plus increases your brand's reputation as "top/premium etc." and leaves you with more funds for development in order to stay ahead of the competition.

If you market and execute the price rise poorly, it can end disastrously, of course.

It's a normal thing. I'd even argue that not rising prices can (depending on the service/goods/situation) have detrimental effect for both the providing company and its clients (so can a price rise, which is more obvious, but it too depends on the situation).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

mc_ksimpson said: Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

Confirmed resolved:

Hi Jarland,

Our system normally routes around addresses being temp blocked and should have caught that this IP was listed and removed it from service so that we could purge the bad players and repair the reputation. When we hit an IP response such as yours the action is to requeue which failed in this case. We are constantly making small adjustments to combat abuse and appear to have missed this condition in our logic.

This does not happen frequently and we apologize for the IP block based upon another sender's behavior. This should never have impacted your messages and we have adjusted our filters to help ensure that we don't miss similar events in the future.

Thank you for the report that helped us correct this behavior and we appreciate your patience and business!
    Regards,
    Swathi Karun
    MailChannels Support

edited October 2019

webguyz said: SpamWall has a product SafeRoute that works ok but only has a single dedicated IP. I told them that was an issue when I finished my test last week and they came back and said they just added additional dedicated IP's for each service level for all their services and delivery was randomized amongst the IP's so its an alternative to MailChannels worth checking out. Free 30 day trial which I used to test their service.

It seems they have domain and Email Users limit. How do those work out? Those are pretty limiting and ramp up your cost more than MC if applied to a shared hosting server.

For example, if you offer unlimited addon domains with your web hosting packages, you could easily end up more than 1,000 domains on a shared hosting server with only 200 accounts.

How many domains/email users you had on your test system?

@jar You said though there is a domain limit, it doesn't actually apply the limits. How many domains you had on your test system and when did you perform your test?

Additionally, do you have any update on your own SMTP Relay?

MechanicWeb said: You said though there is a domain limit, it doesn't actually apply the limits. How many domains you had on your test system and when did you performed your test.

No less than 10,000 last time I tested.

MechanicWeb said: Additionally, do you have any update on your own SMTP Relay?

Missed that sorry. My biggest hurdles with relaying right now are these:

1. Even though I’m running a ton of IPs right now, it’s not enough to sustain the kind of allocations that are sold elsewhere for a reasonable cost, because I have higher standards than just “a dedicated IP.” I want my standards and affordability, and I’m sure I’ll make it work eventually.

2. Most of my handling of compromised accounts is currently managed on the sending server rather than the relays. With the way things are right now, if I didn’t have access to the sending server to halt it, I’d either have to turn off an entire relay account or IP reputation would tank.

jar said: No less than 10,000 last time I tested.

Wow! That's impressive!

Do they intentionally allow the domains or is it a bug to their system?

jar said: Missed that sorry. My biggest hurdles with relaying right now are these:

Even though I’m running a ton of IPs right now, it’s not enough to sustain the kind of allocations that are sold elsewhere for a reasonable cost, because I have higher standards than just “a dedicated IP.” I want my standards and affordability, and I’m sure I’ll make it work eventually.

I think providers wouldn't mind if you charge something close to SE/MC. It is not really is an end user service. But of course, you have your plan.

Most of my handling of compromised accounts is currently managed on the sending server rather than the relays. With the way things are right now, if I didn’t have access to the sending server to halt it, I’d either have to turn off an entire relay account or IP reputation would tank.

I think if you could just block the offending domain on the relay, it would be more helpful than what MC is doing now. MC blocks the message even though a single domain sends many spam messages.

MechanicWeb said: Do they intentionally allow the domains or is it a bug to their system?

I talked to them about it, they said it was fine and the number was just kind of a guide (recommended number).

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb
  • @deank said:
    Smoke prices have been going up 3 or 4 times (25c each) every year in Canada for the past 10 years.

Bloody nobody is talking about it.

Do you even live in Canada? There's less smokers so less bitching overall, but if you still buy smokes, there's no less bitching. Petro can did two small price increases in last year. Are you expecting non-smokers to bitch? If so, adjust your expectations.

• tgltgl Member

No longer a surprise thanks to this thread.

• MailChannels is now €125/y from Naranjatech (gleert). Cheaper than what Mailchannels themself offers, but still pretty expensive considering other email providers charges way less (I know MC is targeting a different market, but I'm talking about end user's perspective). And their email deliverability was usable, but I won't say its great.

I had better luck getting my emails to inbox using MXroute, Postmark, and SES. And I actually got better results using my own mta (zonemta + multiple IPs). MailChannels' verification mail went to spam on my GMail, so.

Mailchannels is wey better than just your web hosting provider's servers, but I don't think their service justifies the price, especially for normal users like me.

Thanked by 2hostdare dedicados
  • corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited October 2019

+1 ElasticEmail for their lowest rate on PAYG plan.

edited October 2019

Hi again Jarland!
    The new SpamWall SafeRoute outbound email filtering and relay system
    for mxroute.com is now online and ready for service.

There have been a few changes with the service since you signed up for
    a system previously.

New features include multiple random sending IP address support whereby
    the outbound SafeRoute systems can now be allocated with multiple
    sending IP addresses depending on the system model. The main system IP
    address is used for both web interface control panel login and
    management of the system as well as for relay along with the other
    allocated IP addresses which the system will send from on a random
    rotating basis.

The second significant feature is an automatic resend feature for
    messages which have been rejected due to blacklisting. Messages rejected
    in this manner by a destination mail server or system will be requeued
    on the system and retried on a random rotating basis by one of the other
    available IP addresses every 3 minutes until successfully delivered or
    expired from the queue (the usual default for this being 5 days, a
    setting which is adjustable up or down via the control panel)

This is the one. Remember they don't limit by domains, it's a suggested value based on the provided product and the expected average volume.

Thanked by 2ITLabs MechanicWeb
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

TimboJones said: Do you even live in Canada? There's less smokers so less bitching overall,

But probably more smokers than mailchannels users right? haha

edited October 2019

I am pretty much done with mandrillapp/mailchimp found out a few days ago their IP's are being popped by spamhaus at a rate of knots and they are continuing to send via popped IP's anyway.

Rejected emails of being marked as confirmed and delivered in their panel anyway despite clear RBL based rejection.

I did open a ticket and they wrote a literal book back about how email works that was clearly a crafted catch all message that attempts to answer every possible ticket they have ever had without having to be specific about anything.

So I am looking for a new -/+ $30 p/month service now I think, I don't even mind so much if mail is not 110% delivered, I just want some transparency so I know why when it is not.

Someone suggested amazon SES, any other suggestions, about 10 - 15k /month sent?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I am pretty much done with mandrillapp/mailchimp found out a few days ago their IP's are being popped by spamhaus at a rate of knots and they are continuing to send via popped IP's anyway.

Rejected emails of being marked as confirmed and delivered in their panel anyway despite clear RBL based rejection.

So I am looking for a new -/+ $30 p/month service now I think, I don't even mind so much if mail is not 110% delivered, I just want some transparency so I know why when it is not.

Someone suggested amazon SES, any other suggestions, about 10 - 15k /month sent?

MXroute is awesome, and 10-15K emails equals around 300-500 emails/day which should be under the limit, and i don't think @jar would mind as long as you're sending it under the rules (double opt-in).

I am actually playing with my own relay with a VPS with several IPs and ZoneMTA, and ZMTA is really awesome. It has ability to re-send bounced mail from different IPs (only when bounced due to RBL), and automatically spread out mails through different IPs. And since you have the infrastructure, it won't cost much either.

Thanked by 2ITLabs coreflux

sanvit said: I am actually playing with my own relay with a VPS with several IPs and ZoneMTA, and ZMTA is really awesome. It has ability to re-send bounced mail from different IPs (only when bounced due to RBL), and automatically spread out mails through different IPs. And since you have the infrastructure, it won't cost much either.

That is how I did it before using mandrillapp years ago but at scale I just don't have the luxury of time to maintain it.

• M66BM66B Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

I did open a ticket and they wrote a literal book back about how email works that was clearly a crafted catch all message that attempts to answer every possible ticket they have ever had without having to be specific about anything.

I have tried a series of transactional email providers, like Sendgrid, Mandrill, Sparkpost and Sendinblue and my advice is to do yourself a pleasure by using Amazon SES. I am assuming you are sending real transaction opted-in emails.

• @coreflux said:
    +1 ElasticEmail for their lowest rate on PAYG plan.

Very poor delivery.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I really like Mailgun, works for me.

• AnthonySmith said: any other suggestions, about 10 - 15k /month sent?

mailgun, we delivery thousand mail per day. their support really helpfull

sanvit said: I had better luck getting my emails to inbox using MXroute, Postmark, and SES.

Postmark seems pricier than MC. Not really economical for shared hosting providers.

jar said: The second significant feature is an automatic resend feature for
    messages which have been rejected due to blacklisting. Messages rejected
    in this manner by a destination mail server or system will be requeued
    on the system and retried on a random rotating basis by one of the other
    available IP addresses every 3 minutes until successfully delivered or
    expired from the queue (the usual default for this being 5 days, a
    setting which is adjustable up or down via the control panel)

This is the one. Remember they don't limit by domains, it's a suggested value based on the provided product and the expected average volume.

Thank you for the update. You are making me interested in their service.

coreflux said: +1 ElasticEmail for their lowest rate on PAYG plan.

They are not for shared hosting providers, aka a SmartHost Relay.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

I will probably do a Black Friday offer for those interested in MailChannels that are on a budget...

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Sounds good @gleert

• @MechanicWeb said:

sanvit said: I had better luck getting my emails to inbox using MXroute, Postmark, and SES.

Postmark seems pricier than MC. Not really economical for shared hosting providers.

Postmark is in for a different market, and is not a solution for web hosts (just like SES, MXroute, etc.). I was just trying to give other options to explore for users who self-host their emails or other personal uses

gleert said: I will probably do a Black Friday offer for those interested in MailChannels that are on a budget...

I am in for a BF offer.

Wait, did I just say BF?

Thanked by 1gleert
  • Noob question. When people talk about the setup where email is resent with different IP when it is rejected, does it mean that the recipient server (like Gmail, Microsoft etc.) actually rejects the email OR they accept the email but put it in Spam folder of user and reply back that we are marking it as spam?

• @alilet said:
    Noob question. When people talk about the setup where email is resent with different IP when it is rejected, does it mean that the recipient server (like Gmail, Microsoft etc.) actually rejects the email OR they accept the email but put it in Spam folder of user and reply back that we are marking it as spam?

Most likely means actually rejected before reaching the destination.

Thanked by 1webcraft