Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

This is why we can't have nice things.

Meanwhile in China, someone created 12 accounts, 1 region for each account so that he can get free servers for all regions.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • tgltgl Member

@msallak1 said:
    I am wondering why people still buying servers if they can get two free servers with 10TB free bandwidth?

Because they dont want to be the product.

• @msallak1 said:
    I am wondering why people still buying servers if they can get two free servers with 10TB free bandwidth?

Who will you blame when your multi-million-dollar-blog disappears along with the free servers?

• tgltgl Member
    edited October 2019

I did some QA myself, for Google Inbox, its the same here, people doing free QA for Oracle, well not free, $0.50/month's worth for Oracle.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2019

msallak1 said: why people still buying servers if they can get two free servers with 10TB free bandwidth?

For some of the locations offered (Japan, Korea, India, even Brazil!), these are nice for the bandwidth included, for VPN etc. But for general use the CPU is capped and way too slow. Even Atom N2800 in the 4 euro OVH KS1 server is faster, and by a lot.

Thanked by 2marrco Ouji
  • @rm_ said:

msallak1 said: why people still buying servers if they can get two free servers with 10TB free bandwidth?

For some of the locations offered (Japan, Korea, India, even Brazil!), these are nice for the bandwidth included, for VPN etc. But for general use the CPU is capped and way too slow. Even Atom N2800 in the 4 euro OVH KS1 server is faster, and by a lot.

Still more faster and reliable than oversold summer hosts :)

• @rm_ said:

But does kimsufi have 48050mbps?

• @Neoon said:

@ese_enzo said:
    Anyone use successfully any prepaid card?

Revolut works fine, even the virtual one, which you can set limits.

Revolut does not work. It was refused, even though card was charged.

• __> @default said:

@Neoon said:

@ese_enzo said:

Me too

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2019

@dragon1993 said:
    __> @default said:

@Neoon said:

@ese_enzo said:

Me too

Maybe they started blocking revolut/prepaid cards, no idea.

• Been playing with this. They're more powerful than GCP's free one. But haven't managed to get anything served over port 80. No idea why. Their network stuff is super confusing

• @havocx said:
    Been playing with this. They're more powerful than GCP's free one. But haven't managed to get anything served over port 80. No idea why. Their network stuff is super confusing

See this.

Thanked by 1havocx
  • @ITLabs said:

@havocx said:
    Been playing with this. They're more powerful than GCP's free one. But haven't managed to get anything served over port 80. No idea why. Their network stuff is super confusing

See this.

Just had a look - and that is indeed the cause! Thanks.

...hmm...with that sorted this could be quite a decent setup for wordpress. Each box has a rather anemic upload on ~5mbps...so will probably try out their free 10mbps loaderbalancer.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • The interface is an absolute nightmare. They are horribly understaffed right now. Someone from Oracle called me up to have a feedback, I told them I am having bigtime problems understanding simple things, she says put all your feedback in a mail and send... and bang, closed the call.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2019

mehargags said: I told them I am having bigtime problems understanding simple things

Probably made a note on your profile, customer is stupid :)

Thanked by 2TimboJones Edmond
  • Verify is extremely strict

• @mehargags said:
    The interface is an absolute nightmare.

It's just new. Use it for a couple days and you'll figure everything out. Read this thread too as it has quite a lot if info on how to get started. I've seen pictures too!

• So the availability of 46GB Storage is Total or 46GB x 2 (92GB) VMs in Free Tier ?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited October 2019

I've installed a graphic environment, LXDE desktop + NX server on my VM but as soon as I launch a browser (FF/Chrome) it just hangs.. seems VM has no power to carry it

• Confusing interface.

• Can't figure out how to access the instance I created. the Public IP Address shows "Unavailable". Chat help was singularly unhelpful. Have I done something wrong or is their IP pool exhausted?

• @ras07 said:
    Can't figure out how to access the instance I created. the Public IP Address shows "Unavailable". Chat help was singularly unhelpful. Have I done something wrong or is their IP pool exhausted?

You need to assign an IP when creating the instance...its hidden under the show adv

• @havocx said:

You need to assign an IP when creating the instance...its hidden under the show adv

Ah, found it, thanks. Crazy that it's so hidden. (It also says you can "easily" add it later, but I looked everywhere and didn't find a way to do that.)

• Yikes. I get that free is free, but this is the most convoluted system I've ever used.

• What should be the most simple of tasks - opening a port - is a nightmare.

• Dude, you're like chatting with yourself, calm down

• I am.

I will.

In a minute.

• But seriously - this is bad.

• hzrhzr Member

You are supposed to provision with Terraform or the API. The UI is not meant to be used.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @hzr said:
    You are supposed to provision with Terraform or the API. The UI is not meant to be used.

For huge customers, sure. I get that. But that totally defeats the marketing purpose of the free offering. It's supposedly there to show you how easy and powerful it is. What it really does is show you how difficult and limited it is.