Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostdoc Review - I didn't make a backup. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostdoc Review - I didn't make a backup.

Comments

• edited October 2019
  • FUCK YOU, SNOWFLAKE

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Hang on I've just, yeah.....

1. You were offered a FULL backuprefund minus any fees and the months you had happily used the service.

How is that a FULL refund? That's what we like to call a partial refund sir.

• @shallownorthdakota said:

@ITLabs said:
    I'm waiting to receive thanks.

@receivedthanks

"You motherfucking LET user" is what I hear from her.

• @angstrom said:
    So who is this guy @receivedthanks? I don't think that it's a valid username in Vanilla.

Just someone messing with the profile urls that list all the thanks for an user:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/receivedthanks/<your username>

• @Jord said:
    Hang on I've just, yeah.....

1. You were offered a FULL backuprefund minus any fees and the months you had happily used the service.

How is that a FULL refund? That's what we like to call a partial refund sir.

It was typed wrong.
    Full refund: not taking into account any gateway fees or months of service used (happily).
    The full £1.50 refund basically.

• 3 years, 40 odd posts from OP, latest being a rant. I think the vacation went really bad. Like breakup bad.

In other news, congratulations to team @HostDoc on launch of the LA service(s)!

Thanked by 2dahartigan thanksbro
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If I hosted at Amazon and Jeff Bezos personally hired a team of ninjas to watch my account 24x7x365, I would still do my own backups.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2019

Hey, on my last location (Canary Islands) I had to contact @HostDoc about an inaccessible VPS (in Aus) 'cos ironically backups were running. True story. Did I get mad - nah, all inclusive drinks take the edge off. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and I had nightly backups.

Thanked by 1thanksbro
  • I have backups of my backups, and backups of those.

• ^As do I, usually ;)

Thanked by 2dahartigan thanksbro
  • Where practical, anyway. Data I've created is definitely given that treatment. Data I've "otherwise acquired" I admit to being less cautious with, as that can usually be redownloaded unless it's particularly hard to find or otherwise valued. Plus that stuff tends to use a lot of space. Linux ISO files are rather large afterall.

Thanked by 1thanksbro
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2019

The last time I fucked up was when I am on cloudjiffy. I delete my container and didn't take backup. Good thing the support are very nice and doing some recovery for me. But it's way over the $2 / year. Like $200 / year more. Maybe you can go with them if your data is important.

• @getakash1 said:

1. I contact support , they tell me that the server crashed and data was deleted, Over that they explain to me that i should have purchased a more expensive hosting if i want to stay safe.

They lied. I have a $300 a month instance with another provider and it still doesn't come with backup. It either does or doesn't, price is irrelevant.

In this case, they did have your backup until 1 month after your service was terminated, and you didn't do anything within the period until it was too late. So even the corrected title by the mod is still inaccurate.

Thanked by 1thanksbro
  • I was with Hostdoc for the last few months but left for buyvm. However, they were advertising about the SG Discontinuation for a long while, they made it hard to avoid or ignore so this is the OP's own fault

Thanked by 1thanksbro
  • @yokowasis said:
    The last time I fucked up was when I am on cloudjiffy. I delete my container and didn't take backup. Good thing the support are very nice and doing some recovery for me. But it's way over the $2 / year. Like $200 / year more. Maybe you can go with them if your data is important.

Is data recoverable after deleting the VM/Environment? Can agree tho that their support is awesome

Thanked by 2thanksbro leapswitch
  • You learn from your mistakes, same happened when I lost my and data of 6 months when I was with jaguarpc.
    Make sure you do your research on how things works and what could possibly go wrong.
    DON'T JUST BACKUP, BACKUP YOUR BACKUPS TOO.

Thanked by 1thanksbro
  • xuhaibkhan said: DON'T JUST BACKUP, BACKUP YOUR BACKUPS TOO.

This.

Make 2 backups in the morning, make 2 backups at night.
    Make two backups in the afternoon, it'll make you feel alright.
    Make 2 backups in times of peace, and 2 in times of war.
    I make 2 backups before I make 2 backups, and then I make 2 more.

• OP,
    Avoid web hosting companies who do not offer backups even if the price is $1 per year or below that!

Thanked by 1thanksbro
  • @Sofia_K said:
    OP,
    Avoid web hosting companies who do not offer backups even if the price is $1 per year or below that!

Backups come as part of virtually every cPanel hosting account I've ever seen from any provider. At any time, anyone can log into cPanel and take a backup of their sites.

Show me a web hosting company that doesn't offer backups...

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@dahartigan said:

The idea is not just about making backups, but making sure the recover process works. If you have 10 backups but none of them is accessible, then it is still useless.

Not sure how many of you still remember the GitLab incident. Still a pretty good read: https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2017/02/10/postmortem-of-database-outage-of-january-31/

• @FAT32 said:

@dahartigan said:

The idea is not just about making backups, but making sure the recover process works. If you have 10 backups but none of them is accessible, then it is still useless.

Not sure how many of you still remember the GitLab incident. Still a pretty good read: https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2017/02/10/postmortem-of-database-outage-of-january-31/

Excellent point!

• @dahartigan said:

@Sofia_K said:
    OP,

Backups come as part of virtually every cPanel hosting account I've ever seen from any provider. At any time, anyone can log into cPanel and take a backup of their sites.

Show me a web hosting company that doesn't offer backups...

To play devils advocate, a plan I had with Unlimited Web Hosting had the inbuilt backup feature disabled.

A part of me believes that was during a transition to Jet Backup, but still.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

@Sofia_K said:
    OP,

Unrelated to this thread topic, backing up even cheap shit is not a large expense for hosts now. In the past 30 days, it cost me exactly $2.50 USD to backup roughly 300GB of cPanel client data to Backblaze B2, including the $14/y promo plans. This is full and incremental.

Since OP was talking about a Singapore server I think, that is probably a big factor, can't really run remote backups for dollar plans in a location where bandwidth is stupid expensive.

• I have 10 vps and they backup each other, I think that is normal.

• @sanvit said:

@yokowasis said:

Is data recoverable after deleting the VM/Environment? Can agree tho that their support is awesome

Yes. The data is still intact.

• OP could have popped their noBackup cherry with almost any other provider, and I would have had some sympathy.

Hostdoc has been extremely upfront with communicating issues and setting a course of action for each. ( I've been moved around twice)

Maintenances and service turndowns were are all scheduled within 14-30 day range AFAIK.

Now all I want to know is what line of work lets one go on such vacations, without checking email.
    Bangkok sphere inspector?

• People, the OP ( @getakash1 ) is gone. This was his first post since February 2017. He just wanted to complain and run away.