Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

buyvm LV down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

buyvm LV down

i have offline service 1 hour ago, i can't put ticket cuz site is down?

@Francisco got raided by fib? o.o

Thanked by 1receivedthanks

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

yes the FIB came by and...overloaded my routing table?

No, it seems fiberhub lost a strip and one of my switches wasn't dual cabled.

Should be sorted shortly.

Francisco

• thanks for update :wink: ily ♥

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2019

Thanks to Fran's quick response, a mental breakdown of a PMSing person has been averted.

• Yes, we really needed this thread

• I lost 1/1000000 million

• I'm losing MILLIONTHS!!!!1!

edited October 2019

As a final update.

The switch is fried. when things came back that rack didnt have networking. That rack held billing, stallion, and one of our infiniband switches. I had the DC temp cable things into near by switches to get things going again.

I'll have a formal rfo from fiberhub soon and will email everyone with it.

Francisco

• Fwiw when the main site came back online, my vps was offline and rebooting brought it back. No big deal but it would be nice if Stallion had an API for that ;).

@willie said:
    Fwiw when the main site came back online, my vps was offline and rebooting brought it back. No big deal but it would be nice if Stallion had an API for that ;).

It does, we emulate the solus api.

We ran a mass boot once we confirmed everything was pinging.

Francisco

• Thanks, I didn't even know that Solus had an api. I'll see if I can find info.

• @Francisco said:

@willie said:
    Fwiw when the main site came back online, my vps was offline and rebooting brought it back. No big deal but it would be nice if Stallion had an API for that ;).

It does, we emulate the solus api.

We ran a mass boot once we confirmed everything was pinging.

Francisco

Where did Google and Oracle leave off on their java API fight? Is it legal to make compatible API's that don't violate copyright?

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 2019

@TimboJones said:

Where did Google and Oracle leave off on their java API fight? Is it legal to make compatible API's that don't violate copyright?

Slowly working its way through the courts:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_America,_Inc._v._Google,_Inc.

Oracle won the last round:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/25/google-plans-to-take-oracle-copyright-lawsuit-to-supreme-court/

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

@TimboJones said:
    Is it legal to make compatible API's that don't violate copyright?

Depends if there's a legally recognised patent covering the API. For solus that's a definite no.

Imo patenting an API is far too broad. It's the implementation that should be protected if needed, the API should be a free for all. But, copyright law doesn't always make sense unfortunately. E.g. there's a company in this market who has held a trademark for a dictionary word for around a decade.

• @jackb said:

@TimboJones said:
    Is it legal to make compatible API's that don't violate copyright?

Depends if there's a legally recognised patent covering the API. For solus that's a definite no.

Imo patenting an API is far too broad. It's the implementation that should be protected if needed, the API should be a free for all. But, copyright law doesn't always make sense unfortunately. E.g. there's a company in this market who has held a trademark for a dictionary word for around a decade.

Copyright, trademark and patents are three different things.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

@TimboJones said:
    Copyright, trademark and patents are three different things.

I didn't say they weren't. They all fall under the same area of law though and share a lot of similarities.

• My slice rebooted this morning, wonder what is up. I didn't get any kind of notification before or after. I'll survive but I had to poke a thingy or two after the reboot.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2019

@willie said:
    My slice rebooted this morning, wonder what is up. I didn't get any kind of notification before or after. I'll survive but I had to poke a thingy or two after the reboot.

Isolated I'm guessing at least, just checked mine and didn't see anything. I have enough of them now to be a relevant data point, it seems.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @willie said:
    My slice rebooted this morning, wonder what is up. I didn't get any kind of notification before or after. I'll survive but I had to poke a thingy or two after the reboot.

You should know better than to bump month old, unrelated topic. Start a new one or open a ticket and ask the guy who would know.

Thanked by 1tetech
  • Hi.

@Francisco you are the owner of the switch, correct? Let me understand what happens in these situations. The DC replaces the failed switch for you (so you get a new one)? Or you have to have a replacement in place?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@imok said:
    Hi.

@Francisco you are the owner of the switch, correct? Let me understand what happens in these situations. The DC replaces the failed switch for you (so you get a new one)? Or you have to have a replacement in place?

You're responding to an old post, but to answer - he has spares on-site and/or buys/borrows parts from DC until he can order replacements.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@Harambe said:

@imok said:
    Hi.

You're responding to an old post, but to answer - he has spares on-site and/or buys/borrows parts from DC until he can order replacements.

Basically this.

I normally keep spares on site of most things.

Francisco

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited November 2019

Thanks @Francisco for being on top of this and keeping us updated 👍🏼

• Harambe said: You're responding to an old post

I know, quite off topic, sorry.

Francisco said: No, it seems fiberhub lost a strip and one of my switches wasn't dual cabled.

But even if it's their fault you have to put another piece of hardware from your pocket?

• JonesJones Member
    edited November 2019

It seems that a better upgrade is in progress

imok said: But even if it's their fault you have to put another piece of hardware from your pocket?

FH replaced the switch out of their own pocket as well as didn't charge for the admin time to install it.

It's a shitty situation but they've always done right by us and we try to do the same.

Francisco

Thanked by 1poisson