Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best VPS for video game servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best VPS for video game servers

What is best VPS for video games (counter strike 1.6, Minecraft etc).I am planing to open server with capacity of players up to 100, give me some cheap options

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@MikeA with ExtraVM. Awesome quality, good pricing, fantastic support. Couldn't recommend more.

You can probably find cheaper options out there, but you'll quickly learn why they're so cheap.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • ExtraVM (@MikeA) any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

If you get a VPS with me by chance you should get the VPS in Dallas since that uses Ryzen 3900X since that has 3x the cores on the host. Getting one of the "KVM Game" plans isn't ideal since those use i7-7700K's and you're basically sharing 4 cores on the host system, and for Minecraft and CS that's probably not the best.

If you actually expect 100 players you should just get a dedicated server though...

• jlayjlay Member
    edited October 2019

CPU frequency tends to matter more for gameservers, I'd favor fewer faster cores over multiple slower ones. A good balance of threads and instructions per clock is ideal.

Minecraft is way harder to run than goldsrc games like 1.6, it will eat buckets of memory and CPU if you let it. I haven't run a server for either of these in years, but I seem to recall Minecraft was also very heavy on disk I/O - a lot of people ran their 'world' in memory and just saved it to disk periodically. Aiming for SSD over traditional mechanical storage would probably help

A VPS isn't great because you're sharing CPU time - hopefully the provider gives users a fair share and doesn't let people capitalize on things too much. A dedicated server helps with this, but generally for the same money it would be several generations older than what would be running say a comparably priced VPS, so it's a bit of a trade

@jlay said:
    CPU frequency tends to matter more for gameservers, I'd favor fewer faster cores over multiple slower ones. A good balance of threads and instructions per clock is ideal.

Are you talking about VPS or dedicated servers? CPU frequency doesn't matter if there's 20 VPS running on those four cores trying to share them all. You're always going to get better performance on 12 cores that are shared among the same amount of VPS unless you're an IdleHost.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited October 2019

@MikeA said:

@jlay said:

Are you talking about VPS or dedicated servers? CPU frequency doesn't matter if there's 20 VPS running on those four cores trying to share them all. You're always going to get better performance on 12 cores that are shared among the same amount of VPS unless you're an IdleHost.

Just in general, game servers tend to favor higher clocks (or better IPC, instructions per clock) wherever they're run. A VPS is a better 'buy' in the sense that you likely get access to a faster core for the same money, but as you mentioned, it's shared.

Depending on the budget it may make sense to get a VPS or a dedicated server, there are tradeoffs to either approach. For high capacity servers I'd prefer the consistency of dedicated, but the budget may make a VPS make more sense.

• Take a look at Netcup rootservers. Dedicated cores and solid performance.

• @MasonR said:
    @MikeA with ExtraVM. Awesome quality, good pricing, fantastic support. Couldn't recommend more.

You can probably find cheaper options out there, but you'll quickly learn why they're so cheap.

Yeah i know, so it will be better to save up more money and get better VPS, thanks

• Nfoservers

• @AlexJones said:
    Nfoservers

facts

• Please reference Tricolor map guys...

• Contabo gives you great performance for the price.

• It does sound like you need a dedicated server depending on which game and player count. I would suggest ExtraVM as well. I used them to host a couple Minecraft servers with the new ryzens and experience was great

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Don't go with vps for games, get a nice cheap dedicated server instead.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Goon said:
    It does sound like you need a dedicated server depending on which game and player count. I would suggest ExtraVM as well. I used them to host a couple Minecraft servers with the new ryzens and experience was great

Yeah, I just want to try it out, how it is when you have your own server, is it profitable? Can I do it myself, or I need to employ more people? I'll see

@CokoMleko said:

@Goon said:
    It does sound like you need a dedicated server depending on which game and player count. I would suggest ExtraVM as well. I used them to host a couple Minecraft servers with the new ryzens and experience was great

Yeah, I just want to try it out, how it is when you have your own server, is it profitable? Can I do it myself, or I need to employ more people? I'll see

Most game servers are never profitable, especially things like CS.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Game servers? Profit?

Those two don't go together. You are luck if you break even. Expect to lose money.

• Game Servers should be on a Dedicated Really, how many users are you planning to have on it at anyone time? think of my performance that vps would need to work! Dedi is always best for game servers , so you start do some good prices