Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking for a cheap server for around 5 EUR
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking for a cheap server for around 5 EUR

Hi. I'm looking for a cheap server to be used as a seedbox. Currently I've got 4xARMv7 CPU, 2GB RAM, 100GB SSD, 300Mbit/s running Ubuntu for 4EUR from scaleway.com

Are there any more cheap servers better than mine? I require 100GB disk space and 200Mbit/s internet.

Thanked by 1receivedthanks

Comments

• Check contabo.

• Wait for the next Online Kiredechire

• I got a hostsolutions server a while back to use as a seedbox, primarily because it was cheap. 4.5 euros for 1 tb of storage, unfortunately it wasn't worth it. Uploads are extremely slow hovering around 10-50 mb, downloads are good though around 500 mb.

my seedhost slot costs 6 euros for 1 tb and it's super fast, max's out at 2gb (around 2000 - 2200 mb), if you're looking for a server solely for seeding, get a seedhost slot.

• daerraghdaerragh Member
    edited October 2019

Thanks, zuby2402. Contabo looks good. Is their 5EUR server's connection speed any faster than the advertised 200mbit?

Does anyone know any other good cheap providers?

Thanked by 2Andru receivedthanks
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

You can also grab a slice (according to your memory requirements)
    https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/
    and add a slab to it (as much as you need)
    https://buyvm.net/block-storage-slabs/

Not the cheapest prices you will find, but Fran has a good reputation here on LET and offers good quality at fair prices.

If you are not in a hurry, wait for Black Friday offers.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

daerragh said: cheap server to be used as a seedbox

cheap servers are plentiful - some are much better than others but for around €5/m should be plenty of decent options

but for torrenting ... good choices for that are going to depend on a few things.

if it's a public tracker that might get some notices sent to your provider, then maybe better to steer clear of Germany. (Maybe someone else has different specific experience with Contabo but in general ... I don't know)

a buyVM slice in Luxembourg seems to be a reliable, recommended option

probably a few good deals to be found in other less stringent locations such as France, Netherlands, Romania (etc) ... (And I think Scaleway is indeed a fairly popular choice for the price, but maybe you can do a bit better.)

While it is probably best to confirm your intended usage is okay with a potential provider (especially concerning disk and network utilization) - most here will probably not be thrilled to be put in a position to say yes to outright ignoring copyright. (They won't.)

On the other hand some low-key totally legit "Linux ISO" torrents or whatever might be fine if you know what you're doing.

• uptime: only private trackers so copyright infringement notices shouldn't be a problem

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

daerragh said: only private trackers

aha - then the world is your oyster!

liteserver.nl is pretty nice I think - they'll have good deals on Black Friday but their normal pricing is decent for the quality.

would expect you'll get plenty more good suggestions, and some offers from providers here.

But ... looking at the specs / price you've listed for your current deal with Scaleway - that's going to be hard to beat in terms of raw numbers. You'll find better service / more reliable network / and so forth - but maybe consider increasing your budget a bit if you really need 100 GB SSD etc. (Or wait for Black Friday.)

edited October 2019

100GB minimum but may be HDD. I checked liteserver.nl but contabo looks better. Still, thanks for the suggestion. :)

• @dfroe said:

Not the cheapest prices you will find, but Fran has a good reputation here on LET and offers good quality at fair prices.

Block storage slabs are for Vegas kvm slices only, do they allow torrenting in that location?

• @sjkme said:

@dfroe said:

Block storage slabs are for Vegas kvm slices only, do they allow torrenting in that location?

I wouldn't go with BuyVM if you're torrenting. It's "unmetered" bandwidth, but more like if you used it proportially to the amount you paid. If you do some googling you'll find that using 8-10TB is what they expect as a good spot if you had a 2/4GB VPS. It's more there so you don't have to worry about overusage charges or limits for typical VPS hosting purposes like web.

• @sjkme said:

@dfroe said:

use torrent over vpn/socks5 .

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@CyberneticTitan said:

@sjkme said:

@dfroe said:

I wouldn't go with BuyVM if you're torrenting. It's "unmetered" bandwidth, but more like if you used it proportially to the amount you paid. If you do some googling you'll find that using 8-10TB is what they expect as a good spot if you had a 2/4GB VPS. It's more there so you don't have to worry about overusage charges or limits for typical VPS hosting purposes like web.

We say around 100mbit per 4gb of ram, so a 2gb is 15tb in each direction.

Francisco

• I guess I'd use only around 3TB/mo

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

A slice+slab is a good combo then :)

Francisco

• ezzhost.ro

• @ITLabs said:
    Wait for the next Online Kiredechire

Hello. How ofen Online.net do Kiredechire offer? How do you know when it happed? Thanks.

How ofen Online.net do Kiredechire offer?

Once in a while.

How do you know when it happed?

Follow LET. ;)

• any other suggestions? i checked all and contabo looks the best

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@daerragh contabo looks like some very generous specs for that price (if you're looking at 4 vcores / 8 gb ra / 200 gb ssd for €4.99 ...?) Seems worth a try, maybe it will be more consistent network performance than Scaleway (just speculating - I haven't tried Contabo and it's been a while since I last used Scaleway - they may have improved since then). If I remember correctly @Ympker may have some experience with Contabo, generally pretty good.

I would just be concerned not to be caught by surprise if you are counting on heavy use of that 200 mbit port, as per: https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s)

I'm guessing it probably won't be a problem if you are planning to use less than 10 tb monthly traffic.

Anyway - more suggestions certainly seem possible but a lot depends on what your priorities are - more ram? / or cpu? / faster network etc.

Maybe just keep an eye out for deals here as they come up - check for reviews and second opinions, and try a few to compare for yourself. (Especially if network performance is important to you, since that can vary a lot over different locations.)

Good luck with your seedbox :)

edited October 2019

@uptime said:

Anyway - more suggestions certainly seem possible but a lot depends on what your priorities are - more ram? / or cpu? / faster network etc.

Fast network is a priority, from the rest I just need 1GB RAM, 1 modern CPU core and 100GB disk.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2019

@uptime said:
    @daerragh contabo looks like some very generous specs for that price (if you're looking at 4 vcores / 8 gb ra / 200 gb ssd for €4.99 ...?) Seems worth a try, maybe it will be more consistent network performance than Scaleway (just speculating - I haven't tried Contabo and it's been a while since I last used Scaleway - they may have improved since then). If I remember correctly @Ympker may have some experience with Contabo, generally pretty good.

I would just be concerned not to be caught by surprise if you are counting on heavy use of that 200 mbit port, as per: https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s)

I'm guessing it probably won't be a problem if you are planning to use less than 10 tb monthly traffic.

Maybe just keep an eye out for deals here as they come up - check for reviews and second opinions, and try a few to compare for yourself. (Especially if network performance is important to you, since that can vary a lot over different locations.)

Good luck with your seedbox :)

Thanks for the mention ;) I've had a good experience with Contabo and so have a few other LET members here (e.g. @jvnadr , @LeonDynamic , @cybertech , iirc) . The network isn't the best I've seen but for what you pay it's more than fair. If you have any issues/questions you could also check with @contabo_m and/or read the review in my signature.

• well ... I guess the extra ram in the Contabo deal could improve filesystem performance - and you're not paying a premium for it, so might be a good deal for you anyway.

But if you really just need 1 GB and 1 vcore (and you are sure that will be sufficient) then for €5/m should be able to find something with a faster port (though usually with limited monthly traffic, seems like 1 to maybe 5 TB is more typical at that price).

And as mentioned previously - "good" network performance is going to depend on a few variables so best if you can try a few to compare how it does for your specific location etc.

That 100 GB HDD requirement might limit your options a bit - so would consider breaking that part out to a cheap storage deal elsewhere - if you can work with a smaller SSD on your main box. This would open up many more possibilities, for example:

Hetzner cloud "cx11" for €2.49/m (or even hourly billing if you prefer) gives you 1 vcore with 2 GB ram and 20 GB SSD but also - maybe most interesting for your priorities -> 20 TB traffic with 1 gbit port speed. I think they have a decent network in Europe. You can also add block storage for €0.04 per GB per month (so adding an extra 100 GB would cost another €4/m - and of course you can look for other options for extra storage elsewhere if that's out of your budget).

While I don't know if the Hetzner setup described above is exactly suitable for your planned use, it might give some idea of what else is out there - and should be relatively easy to try it out and see how it works for you.

Also definitely would suggest to try a BuyVM Luxembourg "slice" (2 GB for $7/m probably would give best results for your bandwidth needs, but the 1 GB for $3.50 might be worth checking out as well). Note that you would need to wrangle whatever extra storage elsewhere for the time being - though at some point (maybe next year) block storage "slabs" should be available there for $1.25 per 256 GB.

Should be at least a few other decent options out there but these are examples of deals from reliable providers with offers somewhat close to your preferred budget - so can recommend at least taking a closer look and evaluate how their networks (etc) might work for you.

edited October 2019

Thank you uptime for suggestions. :) Unfortunately, I'm not good at linux to connect such a "slice" to a "slab". I just wouldn't know how to do it, so I'm looking for a complete VPS or dedi solution where I'd only have to install deluged and configure it.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

You also might want to check with @stockservers they seem quite inactive here lately - but the HDD Germany plan(s) were around what you were looking for.

Or something similar to @HostDoc 's plans. Just to push the idea further - tell the Doc that you love the fonts in the birthday special thread and would appreciate something customized to suit your needs. For a variety of (valid) reasons that post has evoked some strong reactions, but with very few comments on the offers, many of which still are available.

Edit: added later : @daerragh you might want to PM @StockServers I see no harm in checking :-)

edited October 2019

Thanks, vyas11. Stockserver looks good however 5GBP machines are out of stock currently.

Are there any good, slightly more expensive servers for around 7 EUR?

edited October 2019

I require 1 modern CPU core (e.g. i3) or 2 cores if it's Atom, 1GB ram, 100GB disk and min. 300Mbps. Are there any servers meeting criteria for around 7 EUR?

• I require 1 modern CPU core (e.g. i3) or 2 cores if it's Atom, 1GB ram, 100GB disk and min. 300Mbps. The more bandwidth the better. Are there any servers meeting criteria for around 7 EUR?

I doubt you'll get more responses if you open a second thread.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160607/im-looking-for-a-cheap-server-for-around-5-eur

edited October 2019

the price has changed, it's 7 EUR now