Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OS Stuck on while booting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OS Stuck on while booting

One of my server stuck while booting however i check the /etc/fstab exists and is valid. But the folder /usr/bin is missing can anyone help me to recover suggestions needed backup done with winscp now i have question if i down /usr/bin from other server nd upload it here should it work or should i have to reinstall the OS again and restore the backups ?

Comments

• @TheLinuxBug hope u have a solution like before

• Yikes, that sounds like a mess. Fyi /usr/bin is a path, not a directory.

If you are legitimately missing bin there are problems deep within your system.

I am glad you have backups, that's a real advantage.

• already done that via resuesytem however its missing in server i dont know whts happen however server was live from 4 years without any issue suddenly its goes down

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

How did it get deleted? Hacked? Better off reinstalling if you aren't sure, because many other things could be messed up.

• not hacked i thinik everything was normal just backup was running so load was a little bit high according to normal

• A vote for reinstall.
    And check your hardware.

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited October 2019

@jokymic said:
    i dont know whts happen however server was live from 4 years without any issue suddenly its goes down

Perhaps some file system corruption? Does fsck say everything is fine? Do you have some files/folders under "lost+found"?

If restoring /usr/bin works, great, but after that I would systematically check for anything else that got deleted or corrupted.

Export your latest known-good backup somewhere else, and generate a sha1sum file:
    find / -type f -print0 |xargs -0 sha1sum >> sha1sums

Then copy the sha1sum file to the server, and check it against all the current files:
    sha1sum -c sha1sums

That will give you a list of every file on your system that has changed since your last backup, and you can decide whether the changes are expected and okay, or undesirable.

It's not out of the question that a hard drive or other piece of hardware has started quietly corrupting your data, and this will just reoccur and get progressively worse. Nothing worse than not knowing, as it continues, until it's too late.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @rcxb reinstalled already i dont check that and however can u please let me know how to restore db backups tried few of them restored but few of them dont how to convert frm to mysql ?

• it was the permission issue fixed it by updataing 0640

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @jokymic said:
    already done that via resuesytem however its missing in server i dont know whts happen however server was live from 4 years without any issue suddenly its goes down

Sounds like the above says it all. Have you been updating regularly?

• @jokymic said:
    One of my server stuck while booting

Synthetic grease works. Apply liberally to your hard disks. If you're using SSDs, open then up and apply bellow the black chips. You can remove them easily using a small screwdriver. Just insert it and pull up.

@bountysite said:

@jokymic said:
    already done that via resuesytem however its missing in server i dont know whts happen however server was live from 4 years without any issue suddenly its goes down

Sounds like the above says it all. Have you been updating regularly?

I highly doubt he has been waiting 15 days with the server in that condition waiting for people to ask questions...

• Did you solve your issue?

If you have server with the same os and software you can copy the files from there

But if you have Full system backup recover from there better

• yes i was fixed it by reinstalling everything now its live again and working fine however i was failed to investigate the issue
    yes backup was done with winscp and restored again with same permissions in same directories however i was tried to copy nd restore file but it doesn't works