Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail child protection - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail child protection

2»

Comments

• @jar said:

@shallownorthdakota said:
    Buy a Black Friday special VPS. Let your kids setup their own email servers. Then @jar can give them jobs in 15 3 years.

I comply very strictly with the labor laws of China.

This is why Nike enjoys it's hosting services from Digital Ocean.

• @teamacc said:

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:
    Stop grounding your children like this.

In the spirit of derailing this thread: This is how children should be grounded:

This wouldn't have anything to do with the new NO SPANKING YOUR KIDS law in Scotland would it?

• Parenting: a subject where everyone has their own opinion and then some.

Just like whether or not you should self host email.

• lebidule said: Take a break

Good idea. Thanks.

/me gets up.

• @caracal said:
    Parenting: a subject where everyone has their own opinion and then some.

"Don't tell me how to raise my kids ... You're not my dad!"

• edited October 2019

@uptime said:

@caracal said:
    Parenting: a subject where everyone has their own opinion and then some.

"Don't tell me how to raise my kids ... You're not my dad!"

*edit

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @VortexMagnus shall rise again.

• @imok said: I suggest to visit a professional on child care first, if you haven't done it yet.

I don't see what further advice any clinically accredited professional could provide that the professionals on LET couldn't. We are an inclusive, well versed and diverse bunch. But I gave you a thumbs up anyways bud.

uptime said: ... and then there's the stuff you just wrote. I mean, I get it, sort of ... but maybe dial it back just a bit?

I bit. I totally thought this was /s . You get a thumbs up too.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Honeslty if kids are old enough to use the internet then their old enough to figure out how to get pissed off by and find a way around all blocks you implement. Educate them on the internet or dont give them access period as any blocks will just manage to annoy them and give them reason to break them.

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota
  • edited October 2019

Here's some reading that was to be found circa my vintage. I was 9 and unleashed with a phone line, a c64 and a 300 baud modem.

http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/BOXES/

Are you going to moderate your child's learning too or let them explore for themselves. I will not disagree that the internet is a 100x different animal now than 20-30 years ago. Just saying, if your kid is persistent enough they will seek knowledge for themselves.

You could also consider encapsulating your children in a Docker container or FreeBSD Jail for their own safety.

*edit

• edited October 2019

You may also seek answers here. I demand an apology for being accused of being unhelpful.

*edit

• sudo apt install -y buzzkilldad

• edited October 2019

@lebidule I believe we have provided you with several options to achieve your desired goal.

Please consider we are all unpaid volunteers at LET except for @jbiloh who sleeps on mattresses filled with $100 bills, and dines on endangered sea creatures.

Please consider a donation to a worthy cause on behalf of LET.

If you were pleased with the service received, please kindly Rate our Support

Thank you for your continued support of LET and it's membership.

*edit

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2019

Hell, is LET an education advice forum or an opinion polling site? NO.

Either ignore OP or provide some technical advice. That's what he asked for. If you provide sensible technical advice and can't resist to paternalize or virtue signal a bit you can provide some education advice additionally.

@lebidule

Pretty much any mailing solution offers some kind of filtering. The approach I would take is to write a small filter script that looks the sender up in a white list (e.g. is the mail from granny, uncle, ...?) and to allow it into the inbox if yes or to send it to my account if not (for a quick look).
    That said I would definitely allow my child to tell me sender email addresses of his chosing to be white listed (friends, teachers, ...).

Plus, I would of course take quite some time (in slices over some weeks) to talk about and educate my child about the internet and the dangers that lurk there, how to check and verify things, how to protect oneself, etc.

I think it's very important that the child sees the whole "operation" as something like "daddy grabs my hand and we enter the internet together and the smarter I become the more things I can do all by myself" and not as some form of censorship and control.

• @james50a said:
    Honeslty if kids are old enough to use the internet then their old enough to figure out how to get pissed off by and find a way around all blocks you implement.

Yeah, right. I'm going to have RATS in all the devices possible, custom SSL cert authority installed with transparent logging proxy and send everything on an append-only remote database - with configurable triggers for real-time alerts. It's gonna take a looooong time until that baby requires hardening.

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota
  • edited October 2019

@jsg said:
    Hell, is LET an education advice forum or an opinion polling site? NO.

Either ignore OP or provide some technical advice. That's what he asked for. If you provide sensible technical advice and can't resist to paternalize or virtue signal a bit you can provide some education advice additionally.

@lebidule

Pretty much any mailing solution offers some kind of filtering. The approach I would take is to write a small filter script that looks the sender up in a white list (e.g. is the mail from granny, uncle, ...?) and to allow it into the inbox if yes or to send it to my account if not (for a quick look).
    That said I would definitely allow my child to tell me sender email addresses of his chosing to be white listed (friends, teachers, ...).

Plus, I would of course take quite some time (in slices over some weeks) to talk about and educate my child about the internet and the dangers that lurk there, how to check and verify things, how to protect oneself, etc.

I think it's very important that the child sees the whole "operation" as something like "daddy grabs my hand and we enter the internet together and the smarter I become the more things I can do all by myself" and not as some form of censorship and control.

Hi, and welcome to LowEndTalk. Thank you for your contributions in your 18 months on LET. They are many noted and not being derided. Cheers.

*edit

• Just contact the NSA and ask them for a daily log of all your son's internet activity.

• @lebidule said:
    Hi
    I'm using Postfix+Rspamd+Dovecot
    I got two children and I'm interested to implement this kind of solution: https://junior.mailo.com/mailo/en/presentation_junior.php
    In few words I'm looking for a solution which scan all mails sent to my children and required my validation in order to be delivered.
    Any idea please?
    Thank you

Use mailman and setup the e-mail main address as mailing lists and require any submissions to the list to be approved before they are delivered to the users on the list. So you make something like [email protected] as a mailing list and then have them delivered once approved to your end e-mail account, something like [email protected]. This would allow you to moderate the list and control what e-mails end up in the end user (kids) account.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • This seems like it would teach the child that dishonesty is acceptable in a family situation. I think it is not.

• @teamacc said:

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:
    Stop grounding your children like this.

In the spirit of derailing this thread: This is how children should be grounded:

This is by far the best joke I saw this year.