Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail child protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail child protection

Hi
I'm using Postfix+Rspamd+Dovecot
I got two children and I'm interested to implement this kind of solution: https://junior.mailo.com/mailo/en/presentation_junior.php
In few words I'm looking for a solution which scan all mails sent to my children and required my validation in order to be delivered.
Any idea please?
Thank you

Comments

• Any half decent parent wants to protect their child. But my question is, at what age do you let them go to the bathroom themselves?

• @ineeefewfiw128992 said:
    /r/insaneparents

Congrats on your first comment

• @angstrom said:

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:
    /r/insaneparents

Congrats on your first comment

Congrats on your your 2764th thanks.

Thanked by 2angstrom dahartigan
  • angstrom said: Congrats on your first comment

Thanks a lot. Gotta get that provider tag as soon as possible.

• I might have some suggestions but they're pretty basic - if you're going to be reading their mail anyway to approve it and send it along?

angstrom said: Congrats on your first comment

Thanks a lot. Gotta get that provider tag as soon as possible.

I can speak for everyone here that we eagerly await your offers.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Have you followed the link before sending a message?!
    The goal is not to read all mails, but validate sender adresses.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edited October 2019

@lebidule said:
    Have you followed the link before sending a message?!
    The goal is not to read all mails, but validate sender adresses.

How is it any different? It's still a tool to monitor or "validate" all incoming mail to your children's email. Don't get me wrong, what I said you were doing is noble as a parent. It's my way of saying that there will come a time when your children will say enough Dad, and you have to accept that. I speak from experience.

Thanked by 2uptime Ole_Juul
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

Sorry, no I didn't check the link. But if that's a system that does what you need, why not use that? I guess you're looking to re-create that functionality in your own setup?

If I can make a general suggestion about asking for advice here - spend a little time to explain. I'm generally not inclined to follow links (usually suspicious of spammy marketing - nothing personal, just my instinctive wariness of links on a forum. Also I'm lazy.) A link may be most useful to supplement your own explanation. Just my opinion, please take it for what it's worth.

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota
  • lebidule said: The goal is not to read all mails

How many of them do you want to read then? Why do you want to spy on your children? Are you seriously this insane?

Have you installed cameras in their rooms already? Did you vaccinate your children?

• uptime said: I'm generally not inclined to follow links

This.

uptime said: I'm lazy.

More so, this.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edited October 2019

Buy a Black Friday special VPS. Let your kids setup their own email servers. Then @jar can give them jobs in 15 3 years.

Thanked by 3imok uptime jar
  • imokimok Member
    edited October 2019

Oh, this will not end well.

I suggest to visit a professional on child care first, if you haven't done it yet.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@ineeefewfiw128992 - c'mon man ... there's lulz, there's trolling, there's kind of sort of being a dick ... and then there's the stuff you just wrote. I mean, I get it, sort of ... but maybe dial it back just a bit?

Maybe these are very young children, maybe there's some other context.

I would just say to @lebidule - if you really seriously need to protect their mail, then maybe should plan to read it carefully - automated systems can block good stuff and miss bad stuff. That's what I was hinting at in a previous post. Something to keep in mind.

Hopefully you'll get more helpful suggestions - even from various points of view, lol ...

• edited October 2019

In the spirit of fairness and because he is a stand up member of this community. @MikePT would also possibly have some input for you and consider hiring your children in the future.

Thanked by 2uptime MikePT
  • Forget about email... why would a child use email when they have YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat?

• I found you answers very strange...
    It seems I will shock many of you but yes, I want to protect my 8yo child from internet (mail & surf). Right now the mail address I set for him (for instance in order to activate his iPad) redirect all mails to my personnel mail address. But in the following months he will have "internet lessons" at school and he may want to exchange by mail.
    I don't want him receiving mails from all internet but I'm ok from parents, grandparents, familly, etc.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @ITLabs said:
    Forget about email... why would a child use email when they have YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat?

Youtube Kids :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@shallownorthdakota said:
    Buy a Black Friday special VPS. Let your kids setup their own email servers. Then @jar can give them jobs in 15 3 years.

I comply very strictly with the labor laws of China.

• lebidule said: Right now the mail address I set for him (for instance in order to activate his iPad) redirect all mails to my personnel mail address.

Total violation of privacy. It's his iPad, not yours.

lebidule said: But in the following months he will have "internet lessons" at school and he may want to exchange by mail.

Are you afraid that others will know that you're an insane parent? I will take this as a proof.

lebidule said: I don't want him receiving mails from all internet but I'm ok from parents, grandparents, familly, etc.

Stop grounding your children like this.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@lebidule - cool ... that makes sense

So, now I have a link for you: https://www.vultr.com/docs/simple-mailserver-with-postfix-dovecot-and-sieve-on-debian-9

The relevant part of that being the very capable "sieve" mail filter which can easily do all that you need (and more)

I'm familiar with it from the excellent Fastmail service, which also may (or may not) be a useful system to know about for your "family email" needs as they grow

EDIT2:

And ... I'm not sure if it will shock you to hear the inevitable anecdotes about how some children even your son's age can rapidly learn to hack the gibson and circumvent many "net nanny" restrictions, for better or for worse. So most important thing may be that they know they can count on you to understand and consult if they need to. :)

• I would probably be inclined to pursue a less intrusive solution:

• If the kids are very young, then no email accounts
    • If the kids are old enough for email accounts, then an open discussion about the risks: in other words, some education
    • You can then set up their email accounts on a server that you control (or, for example, on a mxroute account), and you can glance at the headers in their mailboxes from time to time just to make sure that everything seems okay, but I would let the kids know that you do this from time to time

I'm not saying that one should never do more than this, but if kids feel that their privacy is being invaded, then they may be inclined to find workarounds (e.g., a secret Gmail account that you don't know about).

Admittedly, it's not so easy to find the right balance.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2019

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:

lebidule said: Right now the mail address I set for him (for instance in order to activate his iPad) redirect all mails to my personnel mail address.

Total violation of privacy. It's his iPad, not yours.

lebidule said: But in the following months he will have "internet lessons" at school and he may want to exchange by mail.

Are you afraid that others will know that you're an insane parent? I will take this as a proof.

lebidule said: I don't want him receiving mails from all internet but I'm ok from parents, grandparents, familly, etc.

https://media.giphy.com/media/srTYyZ1BjBtGU/giphy.gif

• @ineeefewfiw128992 @shallownorthdakota Take a break
    @uptime @angstrom Thank you for your advices. I didn't think about sieve and that's a good solution

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@shallownorthdakota said:
    In the spirit of fairness and because he is a stand up member of this community. @MikePT would also possibly have some answers for you and consider hiring your children in the future.

This is hilarious. Restricting is the worse a father can do. One needs to gain trust and thats how it should work IMO.

In the spirit of derailing this thread: This is how children should be grounded:

• edited October 2019

@ITLabs said:
    Forget about email... why would a child use email when they have YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat?

You need an email to sign up for "most" of these services. Maybe that's what he wants to keep an eye on validate. Wait until his kids find out about GuerillaMail.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • edited October 2019

*** lebidule has quit LET (Read error to lebidule[lowendtalk.com]: EOL from client)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • edited October 2019

lebidule said: 8yo child

Follow my advice and teach them early. Then in only 2 years your child can have a Member Rep Tag here on LET, and in 2 more a full Providers tag or Moderators position. Please teach them ipv6 now so it can be implemented before 2025.

I had shitty parents and a Commodore 64 when I was 9. I turned out fine.

Good luck with your budget.

Type your comment

*edit

Thanked by 1ITLabs