Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What LET providers offer OpenStack or similar services in the UK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rchurchrchurch Member
edited October 2019 in General

Do any of the providers here offer an OpenStack cloud in the UK, or something close enough?

By LET I mean the smaller providers, not the big ones like OVH, Digital Ocean and Vultr. I am not even sure whether Digital Ocean and Vultr use OpenStack.

And it isn't just an OpenStack web based UI, but those who offer an API for creating and managing VMs, like Lunanode.

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@intovps has a London location

https://intovps.com/plans.html

VPS hosting powered by KVM, OpenStack and Fleio.

(And I think they also provide free DirectAdmin with some all plans)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160274/cloud-block-storage-available-cluj-promo-continues-3-2gb-ram-20gb-nvme-free-directadmin/p1

Thanked by 3ITLabs rchurch intovps
  • uptime said:

Do they offer a scripting interface (requires an API key and uses CLI) in addition to the GUI?

• @rchurch said:

uptime said:

Do they offer a scripting interface (requires an API key and uses CLI) in addition to the GUI?

That's a great question - from just a quick search, I don't see any mention of API functions ...

maybe @intovps can shed some light?

• @uptime
    You are evolving ...
    Practically a directory of service providers to personalised recommendation service to FAQ compiler extraordinaire. That’s just in form posts.

Then there are the PM’s.

If only others were as motivated to check out the service providers before asking questions!

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • @vyas11 - thanks, I'm definitely not the first (and hopefully won't be the last) to have found some quality time to study the info available here. (And so could you be too!) Standing on the shoulders of @bersy and many other connuisseurs of the occasional "quality post" ... (Something to be said for the "step up then step back" dynamic too, whether that's by accident or design.)

Anyway ... with regard to the openstack - I'd love to see Lunanode in more locations - and sometimes wonder if @perennate might find a way to make that happen by (somehow) coordinating ("leveraging teh synergy!") with other small providers (such as @freerangecloud for instance) - given that they've already made some good platform-ish stuff open source, such as:

https://github.com/lunanode/lobster

Just a thought.

• vyas11 said: If only others were as motivated to check out the service providers before asking questions!

The reason I ask is because the reality doesn't always match the promises, so I am asking not just for those who know about the promises, but those who have actually tried them and will recommend them.

Even some of the better financed providers have had problems with Openstack in the early stages. I prefer to support smaller providers rather than go with the bigger ones, but reliability is a must.

Thanked by 2uptime vyas11
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@uptime said:
    @vyas11 - thanks, I'm definitely not the first (and hopefully won't be the last) to have found some quality time to study the info available here. (And so could you be too!) Standing on the shoulders of @bersy and many other connuisseurs of the occasional "quality post" ... (Something to be said for the "step up then step back" dynamic too, whether that's by accident or design.)

Anyway ... with regard to the openstack - I'd love to see Lunanode in more locations - and sometimes wonder if @perennate might find a way to make that happen by (somehow) coordinating ("leveraging teh synergy!") with other small providers (such as @freerangecloud for instance) - given that they've already made some good platform-ish stuff open source, such as:

https://github.com/lunanode/lobster

Just a thought.

If there's sufficient demand for it this is something I'd consider deploying

Thanked by 1uptime
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider runs onApp cloud, it's super solid in my 2-years experience with it. Not sure about API, though.

Thanked by 2Clouvider uptime
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

Other than an API, what features/aspects of OpenStack or similar are you looking for?

@AlexBarakov said:
    @Clouvider runs onApp cloud, it's super solid in my 2-years experience with it. Not sure about API, though.

We have an API for various elements.

Thanked by 2uptime rchurch
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

vyas11 said: If only others were as motivated to check out the service providers before asking questions!

The reason I ask is because the reality doesn't always match the promises, so I am asking not just for those who know about the promises, but those who have actually tried them and will recommend them.

Even some of the better financed providers have had problems with Openstack in the early stages. I prefer to support smaller providers rather than go with the bigger ones, but reliability is a must.

@rchurch said:

vyas11 said: If only others were as motivated to check out the service providers before asking questions!

Super. Thought praise of one does not necessarily or automatically mean criticism of another. Thanks for responding and not reacting!

Cheers

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • The problem with UK location, as always, is the 'bend over the desk routine" when it comes to $$$$$$ - often minus the vaseline.....

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@rchurch said:

uptime said:

Hey @rchurch,

Yes, we offer access to the OpenStack API and CLI as well.

You create and manage your own OpenStack API users from the Fleio panel and use those users via CLI/API.

Thanked by 2uptime rchurch