Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Servers for VPN Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Servers for VPN Service

EleutheriaEleutheria Member
edited September 2019 in General

Hello,

We're working on launching a VPN service within 3 months. It's almost completed, but we still need to make sure are ducks are in a row. (read: make sure there are no security issues, legal issues, financial issues, etc)

I would love to have 4 VPN servers on launch.

Singapore -> ReadyServer.sg
Netherlands -> WorldStream
Switzerland -> M247
Chicago, IL (USA) -> Tzulo

M247 and Micfo offer servers in a lot of locations for <$150 that fits our specifications. The are problems with this though:

-> We'd prefer to support small businesses.
-> We want diversity regarding ISPs hosting our servers.

If any providers on LET would be interested in hosting a VPN server, here are our minimum specifications:

-> CPU with AES-NI, >2000 Single Thread Score Passmark score (cpubenchmark.net score)
-> 100TB bandwidth on 1Gb/s line that can be upgraded to unmetered later on
-> Decent network
-> Reliability. >99.9% uptime.
-> Less than 150 USD a month
-> Willingness to forward abuse to us. Every notification of abuse or abuse complaint will be responded to within 24 hours. While we do not advocate, support, or participate in piracy, it is bound to happen when you run a VPN service. (read: automated DMCA complaints may get sent)

Other information:

-> We won't immediately buy dedicated servers. We have to do our homework about any ISP making offers in order to make sure it is a good decision. Additionally, we need to
-> We will pay via PayPal.
-> It doesn't matter if it is SSD or HDD. 64GB is the minimum size.
-> Once the service is launched, and is bringing in money, that is when we will start buying more dedicated servers.

TL;DR: This thread is to hopefully get offers from providers, and give us plenty of time to evaluate the ISPs.

Thank you.

Comments

• ReliableSite seems to match the description. Paging @MrRadic

• I have contacted them recently regarding hosting a VPN server. While RS does offer awesome servers at an awesome price, they didn't like the idea of hosting a commercial VPN server.

• Good luck with your budget.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Eleutheria said:

-> CPU with AES-NI, >2000 Single Thread Score Passmark score (cpubenchmark.net score)
    -> Decent network
    -> Willingness to forward abuse to us. Every notification of abuse or abuse complaint will be responded to within 24 hours. While we do not advocate, support, or participate in piracy, it is bound to happen when you run a VPN service. (read: automated DMCA complaints may get sent)

Will you block torrents?

@CyberneticTitan said:
    ReliableSite seems to match the description. Paging @MrRadic

Thanks for the mention. We love high bandwidth customers as long as they don't generate tons of abuse.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We’d love to help. Give us a shout when you know your needs.

• block torrents within the vpn? sounds interesting. can somebody please describe how that works technically.

• @MrRadic said:

@Eleutheria said:

-> Decent network

Will you block torrents?

@CyberneticTitan said:
    ReliableSite seems to match the description. Paging @MrRadic

Thanks for the mention. We love high bandwidth customers as long as they don't generate tons of abuse.

The only port that is filtered is 25 to prevent spam. All other traffic is uncensored. There are legitimate uses for torrenting, and it would be unfair to ban it.

• @hyperblast said:
    block torrents within the vpn? sounds interesting. can somebody please describe how that works technically.

Actually I have a small partially working prototype to re-route torrent traffic over another connection, to another location (jurisdiction). I'm the VPN service owner since 2012, and I'm pretty pissed off dealing with DMCA.

I'll publish it once it's released.

• @ValdikSS said:

@hyperblast said:
    block torrents within the vpn? sounds interesting. can somebody please describe how that works technically.

Actually I have a small partially working prototype to re-route torrent traffic over another connection, to another location (jurisdiction). I'm the VPN service owner since 2012, and I'm pretty pissed off dealing with DMCA.

I'll publish it once it's released.

What VPN?

And I don't think I would use it. I don't like intervening with user traffic.

• Eleutheria said: What VPN?

Does that matter? It's a VPN provider for users from Russia.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Eleutheria said:

The only port that is filtered is 25 to prevent spam. All other traffic is uncensored. There are legitimate uses for torrenting, and it would be unfair to ban it.

100% agreed on legitimate uses, but let's be real. The vast majority of torrent traffic isn't. I'm not here to sensor anyone, we just don't want abuse on our network.

• @MrRadic said:

@Eleutheria said:

100% agreed on legitimate uses, but let's be real. The vast majority of torrent traffic isn't. I'm not here to sensor anyone, we just don't want abuse on our network.

I completely understand.