Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Windows VPS / Cloud Provider with instant deployment and startup scripts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Windows VPS / Cloud Provider with instant deployment and startup scripts

Hey guys,

Currently have a project where I will need around 50 Windows Vps with instant deployment and supporting startup scripts (this is very important!)

Scalability is also an important factor so I am looking for a solution that will allow me to deploy my vps's on request from an API .

Need the following specs :

CPU - 1 core is enough
RAM - 2gb
HDD - SSD drive with > 10Gb
Network - 100mbps

Location is not important, I am mostly concerned about cost / reliability relation .

If possible would like to keep the price of each VPS under $6 .

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Tripton said: Currently have a project where I will need around 50 Windows Vps with instant deployment and supporting startup scripts (this is very important!)

You're going to have a hard time with the start up scripts.

There's a version of cloud-init for Windows but I can't think of anyone using it.

Francisco

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited September 2019

You could try something like Lunanode which does instant deployment and startup scripts, however with the Windows side of things I've never touched it so I couldn't offer you advice on that.

I imagine a solution could be to set up a vm with Windows and any scripts client-side, snapshot and deploy that to future vm as you order them. That depends heavily on what these scripts actually are and what their purpose is in relation to provisioning the vm.

The budget may possibly need to increase slightly as your options are narrowed down somewhat by your requirements.

I hope that helps!

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @Francisco said:

Tripton said: Currently have a project where I will need around 50 Windows Vps with instant deployment and supporting startup scripts (this is very important!)

You're going to have a hard time with the start up scripts.

There's a version of cloud-init for Windows but I can't think of anyone using it.

Francisco

Francisco yea I'm aware of that there's very few providers which offer this besides AWS and GC , which I'm trying to stay away from .

Might consider building a custom ROM with the things I need and just forget about the startup scripts , providing that does not add a significant delay to the VPS deployment process .

• @dahartigan said:
    You could try something like Lunanode which does instant deployment and startup scripts, however with the Windows side of things I've never touched it so I couldn't offer you advice on that.

I imagine a solution could be to set up a vm with Windows and any scripts client-side, snapshot and deploy that to future vm as you order them. That depends heavily on what these scripts actually are and what their purpose is in relation to provisioning the vm.

The budget may possibly need to increase slightly as your options are narrowed down somewhat by your requirements.

I hope that helps!

@darhartigan thanks for the suggestion , I think I've used Lunanode in the past but I don't recall it having windows neither can I find that in their website . $7 per vps would be ok in this case !

Might just go with a custom image with the startup routines embedded if it's too hard to come across providers matching all requirements .

• @Tripton said:

@dahartigan said:

I hope that helps!

@darhartigan thanks for the suggestion , I think I've used Lunanode in the past but I don't recall it having windows neither can I find that in their website . $7 per vps would be ok in this case !

Might just go with a custom image with the startup routines embedded if it's too hard to come across providers matching all requirements .

I think it may be possible to provide what you are looking for, especially if you're willing to take the imaging route. At that point you'd be basically looking for a provider that can offer the specs you need, with Windows and immediate setup (if you look outside of the cloud providers, there are many "normal" vps offers that are set up instantly) some offer API.

I imagine there must be someone on here who knows what you're looking for, deal wise.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, best of luck!

• banxixbanxix Member
    edited September 2019

Vultr provide startup scripts for Windows and they also have great API so that you can deploy your server programmatically. However they set a limit to number of instances you could create if your account is new, but you can request them to increase it.

• @banxix said:
    Vultr provide startup scripts for Windows and they also have great API so that you can deploy your server programmatically. However they set a limit to number of instances you could create if your account is new, but you can request them to increase it.

@banxix thanks , was already aware of Vultr but their price is above my budget as they charge $10 per VPS and I'm not even sure that's for a Windows server .

• Tripton said: Currently have a project where I will need around 50 Windows Vps

I dunno about you boys, but that sounds pretty greasy to me.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Tripton said:

@banxix said:

@banxix thanks , was already aware of Vultr but their price is above my budget as they charge $10 per VPS and I'm not even sure that's for a Windows server .

Sorry I did not notice your budget. But it would be really hard to find other options that support all this.

• @shallownorthdakota said:

Tripton said: Currently have a project where I will need around 50 Windows Vps

I dunno about you boys, but that sounds pretty greasy to me.

Make it 100 !

• @banxix said:

@Tripton said:

@banxix said:

Sorry I did not notice your budget. But it would be really hard to find other options that support all this.

@banxix yea well, if nothing comes in the meantime I think I'll just go with the custom image and possibly add each server to my own Remote Administraton Tool where I can have control over all and do any update for mutiple instances in one command , otherwise I would see this becoming a full time job easily ...

Even not supporting start scripts, isn't there any provider besides amazon and GC that would allow me to send the same cmd to multiple windows instances after they're deployed ?

• @Tripton said:

@banxix said:

@Tripton said:

@banxix said:

@banxix yea well, if nothing comes in the meantime I think I'll just go with the custom image and possibly add each server to my own Remote Administraton Tool where I can have control over all and do any update for mutiple instances in one command , otherwise I would see this becoming a full time job easily ...

Even not supporting start scripts, isn't there any provider besides amazon and GC that would allow me to send the same cmd to multiple windows instances after they're deployed ?

The thing is, it's about Windows. Providers with cheap price mostly do not support Windows, or just have partial support. Anything beyond that is out of their work. Not to mention about API requirements. Your budget is low, so it's your job to adapt to provider's system.

• I am ready provide to you with this price 6$ per server

• edited September 2019

@elitarno said:
    I am ready provide to you with this price 6$ per server

Oh so now this is LET's Make a Deal. Can I be Monty Hall or White Wayne Brady?

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • SH_DreamSH_Dream Member, Host Rep

For the Windows side:
    You could create your own ISO/Image were you add your scripts and so on, which you provide your favorite company. And then install it from there, or with an extra Ipxe which you mount to your destination vps.

For the API Part:
    You could use Ipxe with special files for auto deployment. We're currently working on a PVE cloud solution which will maybe expose a client api for auto deployment.

• Cloud at Cost new scripting feature might work for Windows, but out of the running if you want reliable.