Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which todo app do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which todo app do you use?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've used Apple Reminders for a long time, but iOS 13 has totally trashed it...no longer syncs between Mac and Phone and apparently won't until Catalina is out of beta, so I'm done with it.

I used to use Toodledo but when I went back to it today, it was a crashy nightmare, reminders importing didn't work, and it couldn't purge completed tasks without sync confusion. Deleted.

So...what do you use?

My requirements:

• iPhone app with notifications
  • web app
  • folders
  • start date, due date
  • can be driven by Siri ("remind me at 3pm to..."), which means importing from Apple Reminders

Nice to have:

• an API

Comments

• https://www.rememberthemilk.com/

And there is also Microsoft ToDo: https://todo.microsoft.com/en-us

I am on Android so I can't comment on Siri, but all other boxes should be checked for the options above.

Thanked by 1banxix
  • I have been using google Keep for a while for basic todo and reminders.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

TickTick is a new-ish one which seems nice, Apart from this you have Todoist and Any.Do

Could also give Notion a look into, its kinda a note+todo all-in-one thing.

EDIT: Also since you're on a Mac + iOS setup, Things is pretty nice, it's got a neat UI as well, https://culturedcode.com/things/ (no webapp though)

Thanked by 1jaden
  • Apple reminders shot their foot with this update. I've been using Apple reminder app for all my reminders except grocery because it was easier to update grocery list from my non mac computer too using Todoist. However, I'm now slowly moving to Todoist since Apple reminder no longer works on my mac which is unfortunate. Hopefully waiting for the macOS update since it was so easy for me to just ask Siri to add myself a reminder.

• SpeedBus said: Notion

Can recommend Notion too. We are using it at one of the places I work and it has all the features you'd look for.

Things app is really clean looking but hasn't used it since it's kind of expensive for a ToDo list app. Is it any good @SpeedBus

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

sdglhm said: Things app is really clean looking but hasn't used it since it's kind of expensive for a ToDo list app. Is it any good @SpeedBus

Haven't used it a lot, just a few minutes on a friends iOS device, so can't say much, it does look pretty nice though, same with Bear (https://bear.app/) too, pretty slick note keeping app but iOS/Mac only.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

SpeedBus said: same with Bear (https://bear.app/)

I need another annual subscription like I need a hole in the head.

I would vote for a law that banned subscriptions. Ugh.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • As soon as you say iphone app that leaves a lot of us shrugging. Does nextcloud have an iphone app? I'd look into that. Personally I use org mode (org-mode.org) and the fastmail calendar (it sends an email when an appointment is upcoming). I don't care much about mobile.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: org mode (org-mode.org)

You are a beast!

willie said: I don't care much about mobile.

Well, I drive places and have ideas, I am not always in front of a PC but usually have my phone, etc. so the ability to add reminders and be reminded on the go is pretty essential to me.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Wunderlist. Simple, beautiful.

• williewillie Member
    edited September 2019

raindog308 said: ability to add reminders and be reminded on the go is pretty essential to me.

What happens when you actually get a reminder? What does it look like in your app? How many a day do you get? As mentioned I use fastmail calendar which sends me an email, so the mail client puts a little envelope icon on the screen and I check it. My current mobile email client is K-9 Mail if that matters. There is no audio alert (I don't want any) but there might be a way to configure one. I suppose I could also get it to send me an SMS. But, I don't do dozens of reminders a day. More like a few per month.

Added: ah ok, you also want to be able to add reminders from mobile. That's not so easy for me: I just send myself an email and take care of it later. But I bet there is a nextcloud plugin or something. They have those for everything.

• @imok said:
    Wunderlist. Simple, beautiful.

I am using this because cortana use it.

• Bear is one of the cleanest note-taking applications that I've used. It was being used by one of my freelance clients and on her recommendation, I've installed it just to test the waters.

The interface is really clean and you can use the free version as long as you're not planning on using it on multiple devices.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

I like Wekan because it's self hosted and does pretty much everything something like trello can.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member
    edited September 2019

Fwiw I prefer a small paper notebook (this one) or "personal analog assistant" to using a computer, for writing random stuff down that I might want to refer to later (contact info etc). If I actually do contact the person then the number gets transferred to my phone or computer, or otherwise it is "archived" on the paper.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • a. Post - It Notes on Fridge
    b. Simplenote while travelling or when juggling multiple projects. The latter is shared with the Mrs

Thanked by 2ITLabs angstrom
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
  • Microsoft To Do ftw

• Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Google Keep

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • +1 Google Keep

• Iphone calendar and Wife 2.0 - both have their pros and cons.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited September 2019

raindog308 said: Well, I drive places and have ideas, I am not always in front of a PC but usually have my phone, etc. so the ability to add reminders and be reminded on the go is pretty essential to me.

vyas11 said: a. Post - It Notes on Fridge

+1 Post-it notes on steering wheel.

• Real men use a text editor only.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:
    no longer syncs between Mac and Phone and apparently won't until Catalina is out of beta,

Isn’t that going to be quite soon? Perhaps not worth changing what worked well and you were used to, if it’s only a little wait ?

I agree though, they didn’t handle it too well...

Thanked by 2vyas11 raindog308
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@Clouvider said:

@raindog308 said:
    no longer syncs between Mac and Phone and apparently won't until Catalina is out of beta,

Isn’t that going to be quite soon? Perhaps not worth changing what worked well and you were used to, if it’s only a little wait ?

I agree though, they didn’t handle it too well...

I was going to suggest Zoho notes Zoho Notebook - checks most of your requirements (iOs, Mac, Linux, Android) And worked well for me on almost every platform and before Catalina- unfortunately signed up for the Beta now regretting. 4 updates and som things are still broken.
    Conclusion: Nothing to beat Pen and paper.

• Clouvider said: they didn’t handle it too well..

I agree. I didn't realise that they've done this whole fiasco until I missed an important reminder.

Thanked by 1raindog308