Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneProvider Flash Sales Paris Sep.2019 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneProvider Flash Sales Paris Sep.2019

Comments

• Since they started playing dicks with their price model. "Your 4.99 Special Deal from 2 years ago is now 15.99 because well, hard disks have become more expensive to make"

• @TheLinuxBug said:

@MPG said:
    Thanks for posting. Bought 2 xeons speed is good raid 1 is good for price NW stomps on what I was getting from other provider. This worked out for me. Hope Oneprovider sticks around a bit.

It isn't that they won't stay around, the product is resold from another company in fact, online.net, so really the product going away isn't an issue. The issue is that:
    1. Online.net has demonstrated in the past that their network can become oversold and poor to use
    2. OneProvider providers really really shitty support -- if something in the server fails it will take a while to get it replaced, if at all, and they require visual proof of drive failures, so unless the system is 100% dead of you can actually show proof (they will accept) that things are failing, they won't replace the hardware.
    3. OneProvider has done really borderline scammy stuff to customers in the past when selling their VPS product

Just be careful and know you are going to get exactly what you pay for and nothing more than that. Don't expect some spectacular support experience if things go wrong.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

That's fair, but in all fairness and I think someone mentioned it here as well. Given the low end spectrum. I expect support to suck ass. But HW failure will be interesting to see what happens. For the price I go for 3 months and see what happens. Worst case they suck go bad I go back to hetzner vps. But fingers crossed that doesn't happen :-) For this case it's a couple of mastodon sites so nothing revenue generating. :-)

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @dfroe said:
    If you have the choice, OVH provides of course better quality than Online.net. But it is hard to find a Xeon with 16 GB RAM and 2x 2 TB HDD below 20 EUR at OVH/Kimsufi. So there might be use cases where Online.net offers are acceptable if you are aware of the drawbacks.

Xactly for hobby sites, I'm good :-)

• If anything I can be assured it's a 1000x's better than the beating I took form LEB provider. Couldn't keep anything online longer than a few hours.

• those OP servers are fine for non-critical use, just don't expect fast replacements or data recovery. don't abuse the network and don't use the cripple atoms.

• hucken said: don't abuse the network

Thanks for the information. Anyone who is abusing something should be kicked out anyhow.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2019

@Timtimo13 said:

hucken said: don't abuse the network

Thanks for the information. Anyone who is abusing something should be kicked out anyhow.

I will abuse it for sure with my 5 servers. Welcome to my rack people.

Thanked by 1pike
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@stefeman said: Welcome to my rack people.

Are you connected to "s103-j4.dc2"?
    That would explain the (expected) high jitter and bandwidths between 100 and 900 Mbit/s. :)

Connected switch can be determined with LLDP:
    tcpdump -nvi eno1 -s 1500 ether proto 0x88cc

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2019

dfroe said: Connected switch can be determined with LLDP:

Great tip!

Apparently my 2 dedis at Online are on two different switches, even though same rack.

• @dfroe said:

@stefeman said: Welcome to my rack people.

Are you connected to "s103-j4.dc2"?
    That would explain the (expected) high jitter and bandwidths between 100 and 900 Mbit/s. :)

Connected switch can be determined with LLDP:

I'm on Rack: D38, Block: X with all of my servers.

• There is a online sale at https://console.online.net/en/order/server_kiredechire
    kind of make those deals suck, however i suspect that the OP has lower price than online deals.

Another difference between OneProvider and Online.net Flash Sale might be that chances should be slightly higher for OneProvider not to increase prices.

edited September 2019

dfroe said: Another difference between OneProvider and Online.net Flash Sale might be that chances should be slightly higher for OneProvider not to increase prices.

(edited) Oh I see you were saying the same already. Still, it seems that even if Online would betray their multiple promises they give this time, very unlikely that they would increase the 1.99 price past 5.99, which is what OneProvider asking for the same server.

@rm_ said:
    Still, it seems that even if Online would betray their multiple promises they give this time, very unlikely that they would increase the 1.99 price past 5.99, which is what OneProvider asking for the same server.

Yes, that might be true for those small Atom boxes.

When looking for a 'real' (non-Atom) server, deals like the 15 EUR Xeon offered by OneProvider might be the cheaper choice as Online.net did not have a Xeon in that price range.

That's at least my theory and what I concluded after these two promos. :)

• xyzxyz Member
    edited September 2019

Anyone managed to get IPv6 working on these OneProvider servers? Online.net has this weird IPv6 DHCP system set up, which usually requires you to assign a subnet to the server, but it doesn't look like the OneProvider panel gives this option.

Edit: okay, I missed it on the page:

IPV6
    You may request this feature by ticket if it isn't available in the cart.

• I got an atom in NL for testing purposes, network is ok for the moment (seems to be 2.5Gbit shared), but SSD Power_On_Hours is 27762, which is 3.1 years.

• @xyz said:
    Anyone managed to get IPv6 working on these OneProvider servers? Online.net has this weird IPv6 DHCP system set up, which usually requires you to assign a subnet to the server, but it doesn't look like the OneProvider panel gives this option.

Edit: okay, I missed it on the page:

IPV6
    You may request this feature by ticket if it isn't available in the cart.

This is their response when i asked it for AMS location :

Hello,

We can provide an IPv6 range, however it is not yet fully supported 
    and thus can only be assigned via "dhclient" a DHCP delegation software.
    Please note that you will not be able to update any rDNS.
    If you can work with that, please let us know and we will assign you a range

edited September 2019

That's the usual procedure.

With Online.net every customer gets a /48 assigned to his account and you can create as many /56 assignments as you have servers with them. Every /56 (as well as the /48) will be associated with a unique DUID. You can now request each of your IPv6 network to be routed to any of your servers by using dhclient. Which in my opinion is a very good implementation as it is a properly routed /56 so you do not have to fiddle arround with proxying ndp or other hacks and you can "announce" each /56 to every of your servers in your own without involving support.

With OneProvider they create a /56 and DUID for you. That's all.

With Debian 10 you need to install wide-dhcpv6-client, edit /etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c.conf:

profile default { script "/etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c-script"; };
    id-assoc pd { prefix-interface eno1 { }; };
    id-assoc na { };
    interface eno1 { send ia-na 0; send ia-pd 0; };

And write your DUID into /var/lib/dhcpv6/dhcp6c_duid:

echo 00:03:XX:XX:... | awk '{ gsub(":"," "); printf "0: 0a 00 %s\n", $0 }' | xxd -r > /var/lib/dhcpv6/dhcp6c_duid

Add the IPv6 address(es) you want to use to your /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eno1 inet6 static
        address 2001:bc8:abc:def::1/128
        accept_ra 2
    iface eno1 inet6 static
        address 2001:bc8:abc:def::2/128
        preferred-lifetime 0

RA are used to determine default gateway.
    Additional IPs can be marked with preferred lifetime 0 so they won't be used as source address for outgoing connections.

Restart service wide-dhcpv6-client and your IPv6 subnet will be routed to your server. Done. ;)

• Or just use the good ol' ISC DHCP client.

edited September 2019

dfroe said: With Online.net every customer gets a /48 assigned to his account

dfroe said: With OneProvider they create a /56 and DUID for you. That's all.

And the worst kept secret here is that most likely you can just use DUIDs from your Online.net account (if you have one) on your OneProvider dedi, even not asking OP for any IPv6, and regaining rDNS control via NS delegation in the Online panel.

Online.net will let you split the /48 into a /56 per each server that you have, but when you cancel the servers, the /56s are not deleted. So as "some of us" have had 10 dedis at Online at some point in the past, we now get to keep 10 DUIDs with the associated /56s to use within their network. :)

Thanked by 2dfroe xyz
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Update:

Yesterday my server (Atom 2750) started to behave weirdly. Today it freezes even before I can login (via IPMI. SSH doesn't work any more).
    I've just created a ticket. Let's see how long their support takes to (a) respond at all, and (b) solve the problem (an old battery it seems).

• @jsg said:
    Update:

Yesterday my server (Atom 2750) started to behave weirdly. Today it freezes even before I can login (via IPMI. SSH doesn't work any more).
    I've just created a ticket. Let's see how long their support takes to (a) respond at all, and (b) solve the problem (an old battery it seems).

Please do let us know as I am interested in the response times based on this thread. Thanks for posting!

Thanked by 1ITLabs
    edited September 2019

@MPG

Here is the timeline and story so far:

Sept. 28, ca 4:30 pm -> Ticket opened, told them what seems to be the problem according to IPMI Health.

Sept. 29, ca 5:30 am -> Response from western Europe support saying that DC has been asked to look into it.

Sept. 29, afternoon -> I tell them that I've powered down the server so that they can work on it. (Just to be sure that we don't lose time over that).

Sept. 30. ca 9:30 am -> Support north America tells me it's a hardware issue (Gosh, who would have thought that ?!) and that I should back up my data - which is utterly ridiculous considering that the server is dead.

Some minutes ago my response -> How about putting my current disk into the replacement server?

Short version: Shifting the ticked around and canned partly nonsensical responses so far. I'm not delighted and I'd expect support even during weekends from a large international provider. Actually I myself probably contributed more sensibly to solving the problem than they did.

Sad story so far, but hey, it's a very cheap server, so let's see how the saga continues ...

Thanked by 1AMXRT
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jsg If you have an Online acc, drop them a ticket.
    They will reply with "bla bla bla Reseller bla bla bla cannot do anything" but behind the scenes they punched OneProvider.

Result: Fixed + Salty response = Profit.

Thanked by 2ITLabs jsg

@Neoon said:
    @jsg If you have an Online acc, drop them a ticket.
    They will reply with "bla bla bla Reseller bla bla bla cannot do anything" but behind the scenes they punched OneProvider.

Result: Fixed + Salty response = Profit.

I do not have an Online account.

Plus I should also say that

• that server wasn't in full deployment yet (from my side). Based on experience I left myself some weeks to first get a feeling for that server and Oneprovider before seriously using it.
    • It was weekend. Yes, I do expect weekend service from a large provider but I'm perfectly willing to concede that weekend support is reduced.
    • What really p_ssed me off was the last response because it clearly indicates that they don't really care; they seem to not even really read tickets.

Again, let's see. If I have a server up and running by sometimes tomorrow I won't complain.

• @jsg do share us if they replaced your hw. I couldn't cope with 1 provider's generic answers which could be worse than online directly from time to time.

@mrclown said:
    @jsg do share us if they replaced your hw. I couldn't cope with 1 provider's generic answers which could be worse than online directly from time to time.

Don't worry, I'll keep you updated. As of right now I haven't got an answer yet.

Based on my current experience I would hesitate to recommend oneprovider, mainly based on their confused (jumping all over the globe), sometimes ignorant, and anyway seriously slow support.

edited October 2019

Update:

This morning at about 9:30, something like NYC time it seems, I got a response from the north american support (the same person).

I'll quote a particularly sad part of the response:

oneprovider support said:
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to reach this configuration physically as it's in a rack.

Hmmm. A provider who can't get at the servers he provides because they are in racks? Astonishing.

Anyway, I told them to please provide me a replacement server asap.

FOUR days have passed. Let's see what day 5 brings ...

Thanked by 1AMXRT
  • MPGMPG Member

Oh my too bad I went 3 months I was lured into the cheap server with raid. I mean the price was sooo good. Oh boy!

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited October 2019

I also took a server from the flash server ... Pretty bad experience until now ... Support is slow (at best)