Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos 8 was released ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos 8 was released !

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ehab said: @raindog308 what you think of alpine os?

Haven't tried it...or arch either...or slackware in the last, oh, 20 years.

Just shooting my mouth off :-)

MGarbis said: Attention At least 2 GB RAM are required to install and use CentOS-8 (1905). At least 4 GB RAM is recommended.

Now I've seen everything.

Windows Server 2019's minimum RAM is 512MB for Express, or 1GB for Standard/Enterprise.

So in 2019, Linux requires more RAM than Windows.

• raindog308 said: Windows Server 2019's minimum RAM is 512MB for Express, or 1GB for Standard/Enterprise.

If I had to guess, the Centos number are probably high enough for a good experience with X and Firefox. Everybody knows Microsoft minimums are laughable.

• @raindog308 said:
    Now I've seen everything.

Windows Server 2019's minimum RAM is 512MB for Express, or 1GB for Standard/Enterprise.

So in 2019, Linux requires more RAM than Windows.

No, Microsoft are just bigger liars. Can you even run a modern, 64-bit web browser with 512MB of RAM? If you want a stripped-down Linux OS, there's plenty, they just aren't RHEL.

That said... GNOME is the devil. It was amazing back in the v0.9 thru v1.2 days... Had the UI that Microsoft copied (poorly) for Win7. Then it went all sideways. It's a massive resource hog, all to display three desktop icons and a menu, and a bunch of UI-crippled accessory apps. It's worse than Win10, and I don't say that lightly.

I've standardized on XFce, with some customizations. It has kept a decent UI for decades, and it's so lightweight that old dirt-cheap systems seem fast. Now if the EPEL folks could just get it in the repos for RHEL8...

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2019

I guess I can learn centos8/systemdOS now, just as easily as any other systemD 'carrier'.

The same 💩plumbing tools work everywhere.

• @skorous said:

raindog308 said: Adult's Table: OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Debian

I always picture the BSD folks as those two Goth kids sitting alone on the porch talking about what losers everybody else is while everybody else just ignores them and has a good time.

Thats totally like, your opinion man

Thanked by 2skorous bugrakoc
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

VZ8.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • @aj_potc said:
    @eva2000:

Excellent info, thanks! You've clearly done far more work that I have! :wink:

I think it's a bit early to be moving to CentOS 8 for production use, but it's good to see that the packages I need are already in EPEL for testing. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to take the plunge, everything will be more clear (or at least documented by others!).

Yeah from CentOS 8 testing /research so far, there's definitely some missing YUM packages which I'd require/need. So we shall see.

• @eva2000 said:

@aj_potc said:
    @eva2000:

Excellent info, thanks! You've clearly done far more work that I have! :wink:

I think it's a bit early to be moving to CentOS 8 for production use, but it's good to see that the packages I need are already in EPEL for testing. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to take the plunge, everything will be more clear (or at least documented by others!).

Yeah from CentOS 8 testing /research so far, there's definitely some missing YUM packages which I'd require/need. So we shall see.

I'm getting this too with php-* packages i.e. tidy, zip and imagick. Their dependencies on libtidy, libMagick and libzip seem to be missing?

• sanmax88 said: I'm getting this too with php-* packages i.e. tidy, zip and imagick. Their dependencies on libtidy, libMagick and libzip seem to be missing?

mentioned in my CentOS 8 Compatibility work log https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-centos-8-compatibility-worklog.18372/ - all -devel packages are now in separate PowerTools repo but some might need to get from REMI EL8 or epel-playground repos, But yeah some are missing

yum -q list *tidy* *libzip*  --enablerepo=PowerTools,epel,epel-testing,epel-playground,remi,remi-safe --showduplicates

Available                                   Packages                  
    libtidy.x86_64                              5.6.0-4.el8.remi          remi
    libtidy.x86_64                              5.6.0-5.epel8.playground  epel-playground
    libtidy-devel.x86_64                        5.6.0-4.el8.remi          remi
    libtidy-devel.x86_64                        5.6.0-5.epel8.playground  epel-playground
    perltidy.noarch                             20180220-1.el8            PowerTools
    php-horde-Horde-Text-Filter-Csstidy.noarch  2.0.1-1.el8.remi          remi
    php56-php-tidy.x86_64                       5.6.40-12.el8.remi        remi-safe
    php56-php-tidy.x86_64                       5.6.40-12.el8.remi        remi
    php56-php-tidy.x86_64                       5.6.40-13.el8.remi        remi-safe
    php56-php-tidy.x86_64                       5.6.40-13.el8.remi        remi
    php70-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.0.33-12.el8.remi        remi-safe
    php70-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.0.33-12.el8.remi        remi
    php70-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.0.33-13.el8.remi        remi-safe
    php70-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.0.33-13.el8.remi        remi
    php71-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.1.31-1.el8.remi         remi-safe
    php71-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.1.31-1.el8.remi         remi
    php71-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.1.32-1.el8.remi         remi-safe
    php71-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.1.32-1.el8.remi         remi
    php72-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.2.22-1.el8.remi         remi-safe
    php72-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.2.22-1.el8.remi         remi
    php72-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.2.23-1.el8.remi         remi-safe
    php72-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.2.23-1.el8.remi         remi
    php73-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.3.9-1.el8.remi          remi-safe
    php73-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.3.9-1.el8.remi          remi
    php73-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.3.10-1.el8.remi         remi-safe
    php73-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.3.10-1.el8.remi         remi
    php74-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.4.0~rc2-21.el8.remi     remi-safe
    php74-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.4.0~rc2-21.el8.remi     remi
    php74-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.4.0~rc2-22.el8.remi     remi-safe
    php74-php-tidy.x86_64                       7.4.0~rc2-22.el8.remi     remi
    tidy.x86_64                                 5.6.0-4.el8.remi          remi
    tidy.x86_64                                 5.6.0-5.epel8.playground  epel-playground

For my PHP 7.3+ builds libzip I usually compile from source anyway for newer versions on CentOS 7 so probably be doing same for CentOS 8.

Thanked by 2sanmax88 raynor
  • @raindog308 said:

TimboJones said: For what purpose? It's like you're thinking a server or appliance should be a workstation or something. It doesn't match reality or real world at all.

In terms of maturity. OpenBSD, for example, is extremely well documented, routinely audits their code, has consistency across its entire codebase, etc.

Debian is less well-documented but more stable release-to-release than most other distros.

RedHat is a wild mix of code quality, documentation formats (if documentation even exists), extreme changes between versions for arbitrary reasons, etc.

Yep, fine for servers, almost useless for day to day desktop work.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited September 2019

@raindog308 said:

Looking forward to seeing what changes for the sake of changing something RedHat has introduced with this version.

You spelled Canonical wrong

Eh...systemd, firewalld, the list goes on.

But really it's a Linux problem. Those halfwits can't even keep their man pages straight. Or even use man pages.

In my opinion:

Adult's Table: OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Debian

Kid's Table: RHEL, Ubuntu

Special Needs Drool Table: Windows

Everything Else: Not invited to the party because people forgot that branch of the family

systemd isn't a ding on RHEL specifically, it's not nearly unique enough. So many distributions and their offspring have adopted it. Red Hat definitely played a part in it being big, but /shrug

An argument could be made for firewalld, but it's really not uncommon either. I applaud Red Hat for embracing new things and sticking with them, at least with a better track record than the folks at Canonical have. Sure they've had some flubs (looking at you, up2date), but generally they try out new things, have a rough patch, and it works out pretty well.

An example of this is NetworkManager and firewalld - the are extremely odd compared to traditional tools, and they were honestly junk at the beginning. Now they work great together, automating against them is a dream. I manage extremely convoluted proxies on many networks at work, and this made it far easier than say raw iptables/network-scripts. Netplan for this is terrible

Thanked by 1vimalware

jlay said: systemd isn't a ding on RHEL specifically, it's not nearly unique enough. So many distributions and their offspring have adopted it. Red Hat definitely played a part in it being big, but /shrug

Lennart Poettering works for RedHat :-)

And regardless of systemd's technical merits or lack thereof, it should be fully documented on the OS and not direct me to freedesktop.org. WTF.

To me, RHEL is now like Solaris or HP-UX or AIX...one of those OSes you buy because you have some piece of software that requires it or you're a big shop that standardizes on it. I really only see it in "enterprise" shops...most of the smaller web shops, etc. seem to be using Debian or Ubuntu.

But whatever...I'm very used to my technical opinions and preferences not being mainstream. I mean, Microsoft.

• @raindog308 said:

jlay said: systemd isn't a ding on RHEL specifically, it's not nearly unique enough. So many distributions and their offspring have adopted it. Red Hat definitely played a part in it being big, but /shrug

Lennart Poettering works for RedHat :-)

And regardless of systemd's technical merits or lack thereof, it should be fully documented on the OS and not direct me to freedesktop.org. WTF.

To me, RHEL is now like Solaris or HP-UX or AIX...one of those OSes you buy because you have some piece of software that requires it or you're a big shop that standardizes on it. I really only see it in "enterprise" shops...most of the smaller web shops, etc. seem to be using Debian or Ubuntu.

But whatever...I'm very used to my technical opinions and preferences not being mainstream. I mean, Microsoft.

Yep lol. There's a whole story with that nonsense

I haven't really had any trouble finding local documentation for things like systemd units or the seemingly random binaries it requires familiarity with... I never have to go anywhere like that to find information, but maybe that's because I've run into enough walls already

Yea, that's fair - you're paying for a certain flavor. It's not reasonable to buy unless you absolutely need vendor support for a mission critical thing. I mostly use CentOS or Fedora on my own stuff, but work is a fleet of Debian/Ubuntu.

I'm eagerly pushing us towards RHEL, but we'll have to fix our pipelines, package building specs, etc. On the back burner for now, but I mean we did just buy them - it would be crazy to not use their stuff

• @MGarbis said:
    Have to get kvm with more ram.
    Attention At least 2 GB RAM are required to install and use CentOS-8 (1905). At least 4 GB RAM is recommended.
    https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS8.1905

Just tried it out with iso installation, and this is fresh minimum install with qemu agent

[root@something ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core)
    [root@something ~]# free -mh
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          1.8Gi       156Mi       1.4Gi       8.0Mi       194Mi       1.5Gi
    Swap:         1.5Gi          0B       1.5Gi

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Did anyone try Cockpit yet ? Seems pretty neat

• @akhfa said:

@MGarbis said:
    Have to get kvm with more ram.
    Attention At least 2 GB RAM are required to install and use CentOS-8 (1905). At least 4 GB RAM is recommended.
    https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS8.1905

Just tried it out with iso installation, and this is fresh minimum install with qemu agent

> [root@something ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
    > CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core)
    > [root@something ~]# free -mh
    >               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    > Mem:          1.8Gi       156Mi       1.4Gi       8.0Mi       194Mi       1.5Gi
    > Swap:         1.5Gi          0B       1.5Gi
    > 

Similar numbers here, yum minimum installation with fail2ban.

root@TEST-FET1-Chiya ~ # free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            981         165         403          55         412         619
    Swap:          1023           0        1023
    root@TEST-FET1-Chiya ~ # cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core)

This test bench has 1GB memory assigned, and it runs just fine even without swap.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@SpeedBus said:
    Did anyone try Cockpit yet ? Seems pretty neat

Yeah I've played with the cock on fedora previously. It is pretty cool. Lots of plugins.

Thanked by 1RadWebHosting
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

SpryServers_Tab said: I've played with the cock

That's one way to make the templates work...

Francisco

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    VZ8.

Ha. Hahahaha. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Oh yeah, they working great..

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

🍆

• @raindog308 said:

Looking forward to seeing what changes for the sake of changing something RedHat has introduced with this version.

But really it's a Linux problem. Those halfwits can't even keep their man pages straight. Or even use man pages.

In my opinion:

Everything Else: Not invited to the party because people forgot that branch of the family

You spelled Opensuse wrong on the adults table. Debian...pff.

• Couldn't agree more. Centos the undisputed king of changing shit for no reason.

@raindog308 said:

In my opinion:

• Also with the RAM requirements it sounds like Centos 6 was the last outpost for VPS environments. The RAM needed keeps escalating.

• Yep, it's cool.
    I am going to deploy CentOS 8 immediately.

• centos 8 :smile:

• @sidewinder said:
    Also with the RAM requirements it sounds like Centos 6 was the last outpost for VPS environments. The RAM needed keeps escalating.

yeah though redhat/centos might be overly cautious for minimum 2GB memory as here it lists 1.5GB https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/system-requirements-reference_installing-rhel#check-disk-and-memory-requirements_system-requirements-reference

and

It is possible to complete the installation with less memory than the recommended minimum requirements. The exact requirements depend on your environment and installation path. It is recommended that you test various configurations to determine the minimum required RAM for your environment. Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux using a Kickstart file has the same recommended minimum RAM requirements as a standard installation. However, additional RAM may be required if your Kickstart file includes commands that require additional memory, or write data to the RAM disk.

• possible to upgrade from Centos 7 to 8?

• @cybertech said:
    possible to upgrade from Centos 7 to 8?

Thanked by 1cybertech