Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile)

Comments

• Here's the announcement: https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-warp-plus/

They do indeed report your ip to your targets so this is not for hiding ips which means it won't really be abused much(me hopes).

• This means Netflix works as intended while on VPN.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • My download speed in the UK goes from 100Mbps on 4G to 2Mbps using Cloudflare Warp, no Warp+ though.

• @xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:
    Avoiding ISP snooping on you by trusting cf...there is no free lunch

You pay your ISP for data collection but Cloudflare snooping is free so...

Either way, you are paying your ISP. CF gives you a false sense of security, for free. There is no privacy, really. Without net neutrality, the CDN people need to get around ISP traffic shaping. This could be it. In addition, DNS data worths more than most people think.

• @MikeA said:
    transferred my domain there

Hope you never want to change your nameservers ;)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@aaronstuder said:

@MikeA said:
    transferred my domain there

Hope you never want to change your nameservers ;)

I have my nameservers on a separate domain elsewhere.

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited September 2019

@jbuggie said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

Either way, you are paying your ISP.

I'll stop paying once they make warp available on PC as well cause i don't really need to pay the ISP to have internet here, just need the copper line and a local vpn.

• @tester4 said:
    My download speed in the UK goes from 100Mbps on 4G to 2Mbps using Cloudflare Warp, no Warp+ though.

"invite" your friend(some other mobile device) for Warp+ and check diagnostics in the settings to see which PoP you`re using and then submit a bug report with all that info. :D

• @xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

I'll stop paying once they make warp available on PC as well cause i don't really need to pay the ISP to have internet here, just need the copper line and a local vpn.

How do you connect to a VPN in the first place without having internet connection?

@xaoc said:

@tester4 said:
    My download speed in the UK goes from 100Mbps on 4G to 2Mbps using Cloudflare Warp, no Warp+ though.

"invite" your friend(some other mobile device) for Warp+ and check diagnostics in the settings to see which PoP you`re using and then submit a bug report with all that info. :D

You can go to
    1.1.1.1/cdn-cgi/trace (or any domain with CF on) and check the colo= part to see if you're on a local colo or somewhere far away

• @sanvit said:
    How do you connect to a VPN in the first place without having internet connection?

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @ITLabs said:

@sanvit said:

Lol, how's the latency there? :P

• @sanvit said:

@ITLabs said:

@sanvit said:

Lol, how's the latency there? :P

Latency will depend on many factors, especially if the pigeon needs to stop to eat, rest or take a sh*t.

About bandwidth: If you were to load up a carrier pigeon to its maximum capacity of 75 grams with 1 TB microSD cards weighing 250 mg each, the pigeon would be carrying a total of 300 TB of data. Flying at its top sprinting speed, if that pigeon were to make its way from San Francisco to New York (4,130 km), it would achieve a data rate of 12 TB per hour, or 28 Gbps, which is several orders of magnitude faster than most Internet connections.

Ref.: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/networks/pigeonbased-feathernet-still-wingsdown-fastest-way-of-transferring-lots-of-data

Thanked by 2bikegremlin uptime
  • @sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

Local traffic is not blocked by the ISP's auth system and cloudflare has a local PoP. Back in the day you'd just need someone's log'in but now they've limited users to one session. Oh and you do need a modem besides the phone line. xD

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • If everyone has priority, then there is no priority.

• again, no thanks!

• Seems to be working fine, without draining the battery. IOS 12.4

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2019

Don't the Americans have some funny laws that allow gov. agencies to send special letters (sorry, forgot the acronym) with which they can demand pretty much anything (like: we want a mirror port) and the addressee isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, not even with his lawyer?

I'll keep away. Thanks but thanks no, Cloud%§#! but good luck on your way to become Dr. Evil of the internet.

• @jsg said:
    Don't the Americans have some funny laws that allow gov. agencies to send special letters (sorry, forgot the acronym) with which they can demand pretty much anything (like: we want a mirror port) and the addressee isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, no even with his lawyer?

I'll keep away. Thanks but thanks no, Cloud%§#! but good luck on your way to become Dr. Evil of the internet.

subpoena nda

Thanked by 1jsg
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jsg said: Don't the Americans have some funny laws that allow gov. agencies to send special letters (sorry, forgot the acronym) with which they can demand pretty much anything (like: we want a mirror port) and the addressee isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, no even with his lawyer?

These are called warrants, and there is a way to make the public aware:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_canary
    https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-transparency-update-joining-cloudflares-flock-of-warrant-canaries-2/

Basically they have a page which states "We have not received one" and then they can remove that statement if they do. The law can forbid them to publish that they received it, but cannot forbid them to stop stating that they haven't, yes, funnily enough.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@rm_
    ... IF they are on the side of their users or care about them at all ...

Quite some companies were happy with their cozy relationship with e.g. NSA.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Tried WARP and it is very slow.

• America has abominations like 'secret letters'.
    Just setup wireguard + dnsmasq+blocklist/pihole on an EU kvm.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited September 2019

Late to the party. My warp waiting list number (low 400,000s) disappeared on my iphone app this morning.

Update: my iOS setting was the culprit. Now WARP ing.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited September 2019

@dosai said:
    Tried WARP and it is very slow.

WARP+ is faster, but it comes at a cost (about 5 USD per month). It's possible to get 1 free GB per month installing via a referral code (both get 1 GB free). When premium traffic is over it automatically switches to regular free warp routing

If already installed, it's enough to remove the app from the mobile phone and then re-install it from this special link to get the 1GB free traffic bonus.

WARP+ is about 30% faster than the regular WARP To try w/ 1 GB free allowance an invite code (with referral) is needed. Feel free to use mine: https://warp.plus/c9cX

• @marrco said:

@dosai said:
    Tried WARP and it is very slow.

WARP+ is faster, but it comes at a cost (about 5 USD per month). It's possible to get 1 free GB per month installing via a referral code (both get 1 GB free). When premium traffic is over it automatically switches to regular free warp routing

If already installed, it's enough to remove the app from the mobile phone and then re-install it from this special link to get the 1GB free traffic bonus.

WARP+ is about 30% faster than the regular WARP To try w/ 1 GB free allowance an invite code (with referral) is needed. Feel free to use mine: https://warp.plus/c9cX

Not just now, I was using their beta app when there was no such restrictions. Even then it was slow :neutral:

• It does NOT mask your IP. So this is a VPN that might boost speeds, but is very far from being a privacy oriented VPN. Just a warning to people thinking they found a good deal on a VPN :-)

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited September 2019

@t0ny0 said:
    It does NOT mask your IP. So this is a VPN that might boost speeds, but is very far from being a privacy oriented VPN. Just a warning to people thinking they found a good deal on a VPN :-)

I'm using it now. And it does mask your ip. Mine is in the 8.40/16 range (cloudflare) atm.

at least using WARP+ but don't trust my words, you can test it yourself. Just remove the app from your phone and re-install it from a special invite link to get the 1GB free traffic bonus.

WARP+ is about 30% faster than the regular WARP To try with 1 GB free traffic per month an invite code (with referral) is needed. Feel free to use mine: https://warp.plus/c9cX
    (no registration and no credit card needed. When the free 1 GB is over it just routes traffic using the standard WARP routes)

It maybe adds some "relayed for" or "proxied for" headers, but for sure the IP connecting to the website when using WARP+ is not mine but one in the Cloudflare range.

• @marrco tsk tsk.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @marrco said:

@t0ny0 said:

It maybe adds some "relayed for" or "proxied for" headers, but for sure the IP connecting to the website when using WARP+ is not mine but one in the Cloudflare range.

It seems to add True-Client-IP header, which is already in use by websites using CF. Which means, if the site orginally use CF, it can still get your real IP while using WARP without changing a single code on the backend

• @marrco said:

@t0ny0 said:
    It does NOT mask your IP. So this is a VPN that might boost speeds, but is very far from being a privacy oriented VPN. Just a warning to people thinking they found a good deal on a VPN :-)

I'm using it now. And it does mask your ip. Mine is in the 8.40/16 range (cloudflare) atm.

at least using WARP+ but don't trust my words, you can test it yourself. Just remove the app from your phone and re-install it from a special invite link to get the 1GB free traffic bonus.

WARP+ is about 30% faster than the regular WARP To try with 1 GB free traffic per month an invite code (with referral) is needed. Feel free to use mine: https://warp.plus/c9cX
    (no registration and no credit card needed. When the free 1 GB is over it just routes traffic using the standard WARP routes)

Alright, connect to WARP+ and go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

Voila - your IP is very much visible.