Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a standard VPS handle 10000 visitors per day?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can a standard VPS handle 10000 visitors per day?

Can a standard VPS having 1 vCPU (shared), 512 MB RAM and SSD handle 10000 visitors per day if only one WordPress blog is running?

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited September 2019

@LTniger is your master

Thanked by 1Levi
  • If the blog is optimized and well cached and if the VPS node is not oversold, then yes. But most of the times, no.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

alilet said: 10000 visitors per day

depends if all 10k visitors visit at the same time or just 417 visitors per hour, need to optimise the WordPress and web server.

Thanked by 1miu
  • This is kind of pushing your VPS to limit. It's definitely possible if you have good optimization, but 10k visitors per day is pretty decent and can net you a solid income, and I wouldn't let an under-performing VPS screw up the visitors' experience.

• Anyway, you don't get directly 10k visitor from day one from a blog( or you have a impressive spam list). Start by little and increase when more visitor come.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

If you know how to setup, config and tune everything and if your WP doesn't have a lot of plugins the answer is yes.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WebProject said: depends if all 10k visitors visit at the same time or just 417 visitors per hour,

This. 10000 / 24 hours = 417 per hour, or 7 per minute, or one every 9 seconds.

Of course, they won't all be spaced out perfectly like that.

So the real question - what is the peak concurrent traffic?

edited September 2019

@raindog308 said:

WebProject said: depends if all 10k visitors visit at the same time or just 417 visitors per hour,

This. 10000 / 24 hours = 417 per hour, or 7 per minute, or one every 9 seconds.

Of course, they won't all be spaced out perfectly like that.

So the real question - what is the peak concurrent traffic?

Yes and no. Of course, you and @WebProject are perfectly right but in reality (except in very rare cases) traffic is neither perfectly spread (one req per x sec) nor do all or even just a major part of all requests come in within say 10 sec.

Realistically there will be many minutes without any or with very few requests and some daily peaks, typically twice a day and usually spread over 2 - 5 hours. So besides being slashdotted the question is "can a 1 vCore, 512 MB VPS with Wordpress handle (realistic) peak loads of about 10 to 30 req/s"?

The answer to which largely depends on what I wrote. It's clearly no when a clueless WP admin runs a panel "configured" MySql and PHP and has plenty WP plugins. It is however clearly yes, if an experienced person configures and tunes the installation and fully - and smartly - uses the little memory available.

• The real limitation is the memory but it is very doable. I would not get anything less than 1gb of memory. Cost difference is minimal. Take Hetzner cx11 for example, 2.5 Euro/month with 2GB of memory. Hosthatch recent sale, 2GB, 1 30% dedicate vCore for $30/year ($2.5/month). Unless you like the challenge of tuning a 512MB VPS, there is no reason not to get one of these. Extra memory for caching will do wonder with PHP and friends.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2019

Yes but you may get into issues if you get to many request per second as already said. Monitor the machine, so you see its limits and upgrade or optimize it,

• On top of the well covered 'depends on how many concurrent visitors', it can largely depend on whether you can cache your content or not.

If you only have to generate pages once every day or longer and they can fit into memory, then the answer should be a resounding yes.

Thanked by 2uptime Francisco
  • Today, when there is a ton of free CDN options, even paid ones are cheap enough you can go with 512 MB RAM on a 10k visitor/day journey. It will be tough on the beginning, but you will learn how to not waste by optimizing, deleting unnecessary crap, caching. Those 3 tasks will be constant for you.

P.S. SSD is so yesterday, I strongly recommend you NVMe.

Thanked by 3ehab ITLabs Ole_Juul
  • Yes I think it largely depends on how many of these visitors come simultaneously. To be honest even I feel that 10000 is pushing the limit (in fact it is crossing) and 5000 is a more realistic number.

I think memory might not be the problem but CPU is. I did a small test of sending 5 concurrent users per second on my blog (the blog is just default WP installation with WooCommerce and 4, 5 test products and no traffic) and the CPU immediately shot up to 100% and remained there so I had to kill nginx otherwise I fear my VPS would have been suspended by the host. But memory was within limit although that VPS has 1GB RAM so may be because of that.

• bloodyprincebloodyprince Member
    edited September 2019

Try litespeed or openlitespeed web server. Then use "LiteSpeed Cache" plugin for WordPress. Openlitespeed/litespeed with LiteSpeed Cache plugin should handle significant amount of traffic if you configure properly. You can follow this guide for step by step details http://bit.ly/2mvnPES

Thanked by 1alilet

@alilet said:
    Yes I think it largely depends on how many of these visitors come simultaneously. To be honest even I feel that 10000 is pushing the limit (in fact it is crossing) and 5000 is a more realistic number.

No. On a 512 MB 1vCore VPS and WP it will be hard to handle even 500 req/s and even 100 are not certain to work OK. But that's theory because on a low traffic WP site with avg. 1 req per 9 sec even 10 req/s at some point in time would be a rare case.

• Any WordPress performance question should include what horribly inefficient plugin(s) you intend to use.

Thanked by 2Falzo ITLabs
  • @donli said:
    performance question should include what horribly inefficient plugin(s) you intend to use.

alilet said: WooCommerce

10k visitors per day does not say anything about the work load as others already pointed out. however, if you care for your visitors and this has a commercial background - don't be a f*cking cheapskate and simply spend a coffees worth money more on that VM ;-)

• aliletalilet Member
    edited September 2019

@Falzo said:

@donli said:
    performance question should include what horribly inefficient plugin(s) you intend to use.

alilet said: WooCommerce

10k visitors per day does not say anything about the work load as others already pointed out. however, if you care for your visitors and this has a commercial background - don't be a f*cking cheapskate and simply spend a coffees worth money more on that VM ;-)

It's very hard to not be a cheapskate :(

Thanked by 2Falzo Ole_Juul
  • @alilet said:

It's very hard to not be a cheapskate :(

full ack! :-D

• Use cloud flare, check cache everything, go on with your day. 10k concurrent visitor is nothing.

Thanked by 1donko
  • I am using CloudFlare although no idea about what is current cache setting. Will check today.

• @alilet said:
    Can a standard VPS having 1 vCPU (shared), 512 MB RAM and SSD handle 10000 visitors per day if only one WordPress blog is running?

Assuming the visitors are normal (not 10000uv in a single minute), then YES.

I managed to host a WP blog having 25k UV/day on a 512MB OVZ vps (ramnode + Vestacp + Cache enabler + Cloudflare is ON). I sold the website last year tho :)

Thanked by 1alilet
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    Use cloud flare, check cache everything, go on with your day. 10k concurrent visitor is nothing.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No Cloudflare.
    Don't pull a Steam and cache everything.

People so lazy these days?
    You can EASY configure caching on nginx or even put another NGINX in FRONT which does most of the cached requests.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited September 2019

yokowasis said: Use cloud flare, check cache everything, go on with your day. 10k concurrent visitor is nothing.

With Wordpress & Woocommerce - Only if the concurrency is less than 40 ( tested a couple of years back on DO 512 Vps running Nginx Php-fpm EDIT - Also your Sql (I ran MyIsam). You need to Optimize your php-fpm. At c50-50+ the system timed out)

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited September 2019

Caching is very important and makes a big difference.
    In my experience and from what I could measure, Litespeed makes a lot of difference. It boils down to whether what one is paying for Litespeed is cheaper, or more expensive than just getting more resources with another caching method and WordPress plugin.

Another thing is website optimization.
    I tested on shared hosting environment, not a VPS, with CloudLinux set limits of 1 GB RAM and 1 vCPU core - 50 simultaneous visitors for 5 minutes didn't cause any problems, or noticeable slowing down when browsing the sites during testing.

Same tests on poor quality shared hosting (with no Litespeed) caused 500 errors as the number of visitors gets to 20.

With a poorly optimized website, however, even the caching doesn't seem to help - it just "eats" any RAM and CPU you provide it, with as little as 1000 daily visitors.

I personally find Cloudflare doing more help than harm, even with their free package.
    Cache everything won't work though, unless you have a paid tier, that gives the option of bypass cache on cookie, otherwise Woocommerce won't work properly.

My posts on optimization:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/category/sites/optimization/

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2019

10000 visitors per day is easy if the content is mostly static, as you can use static file caching to completely avoid hitting your backend code if the cache is warm. PHP in particular makes it hard to scale one server to a lot of concurrent users given its synchronous/blocking nature, so your best bet is to avoid PHP for hot paths.

If you're using Nginx, WP Super Cache works really well, just make sure to configure the correct try_files configuration (so that it directly serves the cached HTML files), enable "preload mode", and preload the cache in the WP Super Cache settings. A super basic way to check that the caching is working properly is just by shutting down PHP-FPM and loading a blog post... The blog pages should still load file, as long as you're not logged in (the cache is bypassed for logged in users)

For LiteSpeed/OpenLiteSpeed, their caching plugin does similar things, it's just a bit easier to configure.

• it should work as long as there are NO bot attacks but in reality sites get attacked by bots all the time so your vps will not stand a change with 10000 visits a day + attacks. Other issue is if you get visitor spikes (like 5000 visited your site within 1 hour and remaining 5000 within the remaining 23 hours your site can go down)

To be safe I would say go with 1GB RAM - 1 Core - NVMe drives or any provider that does not overload IO.

Make sure to use OpenLiteSpeed which is free.

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited September 2019

@alilet said:
    Yes I think it largely depends on how many of these visitors come simultaneously. To be honest even I feel that 10000 is pushing the limit (in fact it is crossing) and 5000 is a more realistic number.

I think memory might not be the problem but CPU is. I did a small test of sending 5 concurrent users per second on my blog (the blog is just default WP installation with WooCommerce and 4, 5 test products and no traffic) and the CPU immediately shot up to 100% and remained there so I had to kill nginx otherwise I fear my VPS would have been suspended by the host. But memory was within limit although that VPS has 1GB RAM so may be because of that.

Even if you can run WP on 256mb vps it is recommended to use "at least" 4GB with "at least" 2 cores if you are going to do WP + Woocommerce. If WP alone without Woocommerce then 1 core should be fine.

MySQL alone will suck up your RAM if you don't optimize it.

I suggest file caching then use CDN. Offload everything that are possible (eg. images).

It would also help us suggest more things if you can tell us what is your plan and why you want to use 512mb vps for WP + Woocommerce? If you plan to resell wp hosting with 512mb vps then I suggest offloading the MySQL to another huge server. Then offer it as addon (free or paid). So you offer your clients 512mb vps (web server) and shared MySQL.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • I think most of vps can handle this task...