Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneProvider Flash Sales Paris Sep.2019
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneProvider Flash Sales Paris Sep.2019

dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

For those who didn't notice yet, OneProvider has some Flash Sales this week in Paris (Online.net).

https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france?c=eur

Probably not the best provider promoted here on LET but for certain use cases it might work and there are a couple of cheap dedicated servers on sale without setup fees.

Atom C2350
1.7 GHz 2 cores
4 GB DDR3
1× 128 GB (SSD) or 1× 1 TB (HDD)
€6.99 (€13.99)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/49

Xeon X3450
2.6 GHz 4 cores
8 GB DDR3
2× 1 TB (HDD)
€13.00 (€21.00)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/43

Xeon L3426
1.8 GHz 4 cores
16 GB DDR3
2× 2 TB (HDD)
€15.00 (€22.00)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/44

Xeon E3-1240
3.3 GHz 4 cores
24 GB DDR3
2× 2 TB (HDD)
€29.99 (€42.99)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/59

Xeon E3-1220
3.1 GHz 4 cores
8 GB DDR3
2× 1 TB (HDD)
€17.00 (€20.00)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/2708

Xeon E3-1220 v2
3.1 GHz 4 cores
16 GB DDR3
2× 1 TB (HDD)
€21.00 (€36.00)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/2710

Xeon E3-1220
3.1 GHz 4 cores
32 GB DDR3
2× 4 TB (HDD)
€32.50 (€39.50)
https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/2938

Comments

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited September 2019

IMHO i would discourage people to accept the Atom C2350 or maybe even all offers because:

• "Slow" CPUs without most common instructions for encoding/decoding (AES,H264,H265 [...])
    • Low Ram
    • Its Online.net
    • Throtteling of Bandwidth
    • Peerings are horrible beyond measure (well not as bad as ServDiscount/Webtropia but still)
    • Go with a decent VPS-Provider and have dedicated resources and fast discs.

/rantmode

• Looks good.

But not going for online.net even if that is free.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2019

"Flash Sales"

The only thing that looked good, is the 4TB Xeon machine for 15.
    But if you look at the cpu bench, you will cringe.

Additional to that, they often ship half dead drives, means smartctl says ITS ALIVE but internal its dead and slow, and the support will not replace it because smartctl says its good.

If you want a decent Xeon, you pick Hetzner over Online.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

fLoo said: IMHO i would discourage people to accept the Atom C2350 or maybe even all offers because:

"Slow" CPUs without most common instructions for encoding/decoding (AES,H264,H265 [...])

It does support AES, and regarding H264 & H265, there are no such instructions in the CPU, the CPU-based encoding relies on variants of SSE (such as SSSE3 and SSE4), many of which it also supports. The worst part about it is only 2 cores, which means it's not great for video encoding even with those instructions. Still, 7 EUR is a good price and puts it around the KS1 territory, except here you get a Gbit link (which you have to go out of your way to get throttled on), twice the disk or an SSD, and a faster and even a virtualization capable CPU.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said: The only thing that looked good, is the 4TB Xeon machine for 15.

Yep, that's actually the one I picked to replace my i3-540 (4 GB RAM, 2x 1 TB HDD) from another 10 EUR flash deal. The additional 5 EUR/month seem fine to me for this upgrade.

Nevertheless network is hit or mess and often suffers from packet loss and bad peerings. However in the price range up to 15 EUR/month it is still a decent offer for a dedi I'd say.
    Of course there are far better VPS offers out there. But sometimes you just want a dedi. ;)

• I can only think of torrent stuff when having any online/kimsufi servers.

For the records, here is a GeekBench of the L3426 (15 EUR). Compared to an i3-540, single core performance is significantly weaker due to low clock frequency.

The server has been deployed in DC3 whereas the i3 was located in DC2. Network performance right now is 500-750 Mbit/s. It came with 2x WD RE4 and 8k hours, so quite fresh drives.

I hoped the CPU would have been able to at least compete with the i3-540 in all disciplines. Now I have three days left to decide whether I drop the 10 EUR i3 or not...

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-09-24 16:12:28 UTC

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L3426  @ 1.87GHz
    CPU cores:    8
    Frequency:    1861.843 MHz
    RAM:          15G
    Swap:         1.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 4.9.0-11-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda    1.8T  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        5.738 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        10.059 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        4.474 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 102.7 us / 2.04 ms / 27.8 ms / 3.02 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 3.24 k requests in 5.00 s, 810.8 MiB, 648 iops, 162.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    119.21 MiB/s
        2nd run:    118.26 MiB/s
        3rd run:    121.12 MiB/s
        average:    119.53 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    195.154.225.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         92.94 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        70.00 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   8.69 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      92.50 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         20.13 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2019

dfroe said: single core performance is significantly weaker due to low clock frequency.

The Intel website says it's got Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz. Did you check if you have that working, or any way to enable it?

E.g. https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cpu-freq/boost.txt

--------------------
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost
    controls the boost setting for the whole system. You can read and write
    that file with either "0" (boosting disabled) or "1" (boosting allowed).
    Reading or writing 1 does not mean that the system is boosting at this
    very moment, but only that the CPU _may_ raise the frequency at it's
    discretion.
    --------------------

Also install cpufrequtils and check what cpufreq-info says.

Or this: https://github.com/cyring/CoreFreq

Thanked by 1dfroe
  • Online.net is yucky poopoopeepee

• Neoon said: Additional to that, they often ship half dead drives, means smartctl says ITS ALIVE but internal its dead and slow, and the support will not replace it because smartctl says its good.

I would be entirely unsurprised if some of their pissed off customers have benchamrked a disk until it needs replacement

@dfroe said:

Atom C2350
    1.7 GHz 2 cores
    4 GB DDR3
    €5.99€6.99 (€13.99)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I'm a bit surprised by the negative comments. Of course, my experience with online via oneprovider is quite short but until now my dedi works really fine and the network is really good. But of course my statements are cognizant of the fact that we are talking about LOW END products/prices.

Fun fact: My dedi came with HDD but actually has a slowed down SSD (even a nice one), so speed is (good) HDD like.

I've not yet found anything (incl. relatively good support) to complain about.

@Neoon said:

@dfroe said:

Atom C2350
    1.7 GHz 2 cores
    4 GB DDR3
    €5.99€6.99 (€13.99)

Also now available in NL:
    https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/2833

Thanked by 2ITLabs rm_

@rm_ said:
    The Intel website says it's got Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz. Did you check if you have that working, or any way to enable it?

Thanks a lot for pointing me in this direction.
    Indeed when I compared facts and benchmarks before I purchased the server, I assumed single core performance could be comparable because of Turbo Boost. I actually saw single core benchmarks posted from users varying quite much. Looks like some were performed with or without Turbo Boost.

I investigated a bit and indeed Turbo Boost was not kicking in on my server. CPU frequency always remained at 1.8 GHz and it stepped down to 1.3 GHz on idle. I never managed to push one core beyond 1.8 GHz when running an endless loop etc. on a single core.

In BIOS setup Turbo Boost was enabled properly and power management was configured to OS controlled. Well, and that's actually my problem. I upgraded to latest Debian 10 to have a recent kernel, but Turbo Boost was not properly activated by the OS. CPU frequency still does not exceed 1.8 GHz.
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost does not exist at all, which is also a bit weired.

Finally my solution now was to change the power management in BIOS from OS controlled to Maximum Performance. I can verify that when on idle the CPU still steps down to 1.3 GHz and enters C6 state, i.e. power saving modes are still active and the server should not draw more power on idle. However when I now put load on a single core, frequency peaks up to 3.2 GHz! For me it looks like Turbo Boost is now controlled by BIOS/CPU and not by OS anymore (which didn't work with Debian).

Obviously single core benchmarks now report a completely different story. :)

Old GeekBench: Xeon L3426 without Turbo Boost

New GeekBench: Xeon L3426 with Turbo Boost working

Thanked by 2rm_ coreflux
  • dfroe said: The server has been deployed in DC3 whereas the i3 was located in DC2. Network performance right now is 500-750 Mbit/s.

Careful, I can already sense the incoming ticket on how to install Wondershaper to limit your machine to whatever they feel is appropriate.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • Thanks for posting. Bought 2 xeons speed is good raid 1 is good for price NW stomps on what I was getting from other provider. This worked out for me. Hope Oneprovider sticks around a bit.

• @MPG said:
    Thanks for posting. Bought 2 xeons speed is good raid 1 is good for price NW stomps on what I was getting from other provider. This worked out for me. Hope Oneprovider sticks around a bit.

It isn't that they won't stay around, the product is resold from another company in fact, online.net, so really the product going away isn't an issue. The issue is that:
    1. Online.net has demonstrated in the past that their network can become oversold and poor to use
    2. OneProvider providers really really shitty support -- if something in the server fails it will take a while to get it replaced, if at all, and they require visual proof of drive failures, so unless the system is 100% dead of you can actually show proof (they will accept) that things are failing, they won't replace the hardware.
    3. OneProvider has done really borderline scammy stuff to customers in the past when selling their VPS product

Just be careful and know you are going to get exactly what you pay for and nothing more than that. Don't expect some spectacular support experience if things go wrong.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2019

Mmm yeah, gimme some more of those dead disks (I’m not bitter I swear lol)

• @hzr said:

Neoon said: Additional to that, they often ship half dead drives, means smartctl says ITS ALIVE but internal its dead and slow, and the support will not replace it because smartctl says its good.

I would be entirely unsurprised if some of their pissed off customers have benchamrked a disk until it needs replacement

Benchharming

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Yesterday, the 14 euro one (C2750 with 256G SSD) showed as 2.5Gbps unmetered.
    And I consult sales department. they tell me it’s only 1Gbps. The “2.5Gbps” is only a display error.
    🤔

edited September 2019

@RecD said:
    Yesterday, the 14 euro one (C2750 with 256G SSD) showed as 2.5Gbps unmetered.
    And I consult sales department. they tell me it’s only 1Gbps. The “2.5Gbps” is only a display error.
    🤔

Yea, usual clickbait.
    They may have a physical 2.5Gbit uplink but even then, you likely have only a 1Gbit uplink to the next switch, which is also shared, to speeds can vary a lot.

• @Neoon said:

@RecD said:
    Yesterday, the 14 euro one (C2750 with 256G SSD) showed as 2.5Gbps unmetered.
    🤔

Yea, usual clickbait.
    They may have a physical 2.5Gbit uplink but even then, you likely have only a 1Gbit uplink to the next switch, which is also shared, to speeds can vary a lot.

Yeah, they tell me it’s “1Gbps port on a shared 2.5Gbps link” and only “1Gbps Up/Down network“.
    I will not expect 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps dedicated network with only 14€.

And now it seems that they have “fix” the error.
    It now shows as 1Gbps fair usage.

• @RecD said:
    Yeah, they tell me it’s “1Gbps port on a shared 2.5Gbps link” and only “1Gbps Up/Down network“.
    I will not expect 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps dedicated network with only 14€.

And now it seems that they have “fix” the error.
    It now shows as 1Gbps fair usage.

Still showing 2.5Gbps in NL. They should've fixed all.

• @mrclown said:
    Still showing 2.5Gbps in NL. They should've fixed all.

For Paris dedicated server, 1Gbps.
    For NL server, don’t know if it’s shared 2.5Gbps or 1Gbps...

• @Neoon said:

@dfroe said:

Atom C2350
    1.7 GHz 2 cores
    4 GB DDR3
    €5.99€6.99 (€13.99)

And 5.3€ /m if you pay annualy

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited September 2019

In NL you are on a 2.5Gbps shared port, so you can occasionally observe short 250MB/s peaks. Not that it's very useful for anything, the SSDs/HDDs/CPUs are overwhelmed and can hardly cope with so much data, me not want trop beaucoup.

Also, some of these Avotons have had their outgoing speed throttled in the past following abuse, which means you might end up with some crippled server, sending gigabit for a few seconds then quickly dropping to 100mbit. Contact OneProvider who will contact Online who will hopefully unblock the stuff.

Well, in the end, it does not matter, if it says 2.5 or 1, if you use that long enough, you get throttled to 100Mbit

View it as 1Gbit peak but "guaranteed" 100Mbit.
    Even if you get on a 2.5Gbit uplink, it may be congested as fuck.

• Should be honest and do simple biz like kimsufi to keep 100Mbps. Nothing more to complain. Anyway, Online.net support = totally no. Not too sure about how oneprovider managed those indirectly.

If you have the choice, OVH provides of course better quality than Online.net. But it is hard to find a Xeon with 16 GB RAM and 2x 2 TB HDD below 20 EUR at OVH/Kimsufi. So there might be use cases where Online.net offers are acceptable if you are aware of the drawbacks.

• Online.net's rep on LET has really gone down the drain in recent years..