Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oneprovider/online dedi experience & benchmark/review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oneprovider/online dedi experience & benchmark/review

jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
edited September 2019 in Reviews

Today I discovered a nice dedi offer from oneprovider (actually at online): a Avoton C2750 with 8 cores, 8 GB mem., 128 GB SSD for about 12€/mo.

Purchasing felt a bit strange due to their process but it went fine and I already ran a first quick benchmark with OK results.

But I also wanted to install a BSD for benchmarking for which they don't have a template. Speaking of it, their templates are, uhm, "unconventional". So I needed IPMI which according to the sales spec is available. Well, yes it is, but one must request it and provide a reason. It took awhile (1 hour or so) for them to react but the outcome was positive.

The IPMI however is not positive, not at all. That Supermicro IPMI is an insane nightmare! To mount a virtual CD-Rom one must provide a Windows share. Not http, not ftp, not a local ISO, nope, a Windows share! Now probably Supermicro meant well; after all Windows is still the most used OS. But in an IPMI? Sorry, Supermicro, with that insanity you immediately end up in my "Never-ever-Supermicro! They are a bunch of unprofessional insane morons!" list.

More to follow, I'll keep you updated ...

Windows share mount **only** for IPMI Virtual CD-Rom
  1. Insane! What a bunch of moronic derps!36 votes
    1. Great! I use Windows and love to open my PC's ports publicly anyway
      13.89%
    2. $7
      44.44%
    3. Huh? "SuperMicro"? Isn't that an indian take-away? They sell servers? Wow!
      16.67%
    4. Just gimme da benchmark numbers!
      25.00%

Comments

• You're missing 50% of the headline.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TimboJones said:
    You're missing 50% of the headline.

Sorry but right now my priority is getting this thing to properly work. The benchmark numbers will follow, promised.

• I have this one for 8EUR/month.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@jsg have you tried to boot from https://netboot.xyz

• @jsg said:

@TimboJones said:
    You're missing 50% of the headline.

Sorry but right now my priority is getting this thing to properly work. The benchmark numbers will follow, promised.

I see, you were eager to get poll vote results.

I would just move on at this point (you've already said "never-ever"). Ain't nobody got time for hassles with IPMI, requesting IPMI access and bad templates.

@exception0x876 said:
    @jsg have you tried to boot from https://netboot.xyz

No, my experience with netboot.xyz make me avoid it when possible.

@TimboJones said:
    I see, you were eager to get poll vote results.

No.

I would just move on at this point (you've already said "never-ever"). Ain't nobody got time for hassles with IPMI, requesting IPMI access and bad templates.

The "never-ever" was wrt Supermicro, not 1provider. Btw, their IPMI isn't that bad at all once one has it running, modulo some idiocies like their default keys.

As for needing to request IPMI access, I'm not exactly happy of course, but (a) I didn't have to wait long to get access, (b) it seems that I now have it "forever" (rather than needing to ask each time I might want it), and (c) in summary it's still a hell of a lot less troublesome than with other providers.

TL;DR Supermicro is guilty, not 1provider.

Btw, that's why I try to offer more than just a bunch of numbers in my reviews, ecept for the quick ones. It's often "invisible" (at least on the surface) that make a dedi or VPS offer good or bad or even a PITA. Things like supporr responds quickly vs waiting for hald a day or longer, having a well working remote console/VNC or a troublesome one with strange (e.g. IT) keyboard and no option to change it, etc.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ah, you are in for the OneProvider experince, I wish you good luck.

• IIRC, you have to use the Supermicro .Net "applet", where you can mount a local iso.

Also, since you have one of these infamous C2750 on SuperMicro, keep an eye on the CPU speed - it sometimes gets stuck at mid/low speed for no particular reason, needing a reboot to enjoy again the sweet 2/2.4GHz.

Thanked by 1jsg

@Neoon said:

Well, it's not at all bad so far. Support is relatively fast, network is GREAT and box works fine.

But yes, I know that 1provider is basically just a reseller. The thing however is that Online themselves sell that box considerably more expensive.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jsg said:

@Neoon said:

Well, it's not at all bad so far. Support is relatively fast, network is GREAT and box works fine.

But yes, I know that 1provider is basically just a reseller. The thing however is that Online themselves sell that box considerably more expensive.

Well, then you had luck, last time I needed to wait multiple days to get a server fixed.
    I went directly to Online, since I still had an account with them, they reached out to OP directly, which resulted in stuff getting fixed within a few hours instead days.

@Neoon said:
    Well, then you had luck, last time I needed to wait multiple days to get a server fixed.
    I went directly to Online, since I still had an account with them, they reached out to OP directly, which resulted in stuff getting fixed within a few hours instead days.

We'll see. My experience with them is still short. Until now however I'm a happy customer.

• I'm glad people know how to do polls properly still. Bravo.

• Well... you can mount from the Virtual Console.
    But its horribly slow and you will probably loose connection before the windows install have reached 5%.
    Also.. dont go to crazy trying to mount files from local disk via BIOS.
    You might get a fee for 50€.

FWIW: I did an install via IPMI/Virtual media and it worked fine and wasn't particularly slow.

Btw, I've not forgotten the benchmark. The numbers will come very soon. Promised.

Here is the promised benchmark and short review:

System:

Machine: amd64, Arch.: amd64, Model: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2750  @ 2.40GHz
    OS, version: FreeBSD 12.0, Mem.: 7.972 GB
    CPU - Cores: 8, Family/Model/Stepping: 6/77/8
    Cache: 24K/32K L1d/L1i, 1024K L2, ? L3
    Std. Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
              pse36 cflsh ds acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pbe sse3 pclmulqdq
              dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2
              movbe popcnt tsc_deadline aes rdrnd
    Ext. Flags: tsc_adjust smep erms fpcsds syscall nx rdtscp lm lahf_lm

Processor/memory:

Avg       Min         Max       Dmin   Dmax Span
    single core:  133,68   133,68   133,69   0,00   0,01   0,01
    multi core:    282,11  280,43   285,23   0,60   1,11   1,70

Note that the result over all 8 cores is just a bit over double of a single core. So either Oneprovider grossly f_cks their customers or the Avoton is a very, very strange processor indeed.
    I would expect that kind of result from a dual vCore VDS - not from an 8 core dedi.

Disk now in replacement dedi:

Seq Wr: 25,91    25,87   25,94    0,14    0,13     0,27
    Rnd Wr: 13,17    12,73   13,70    3,36    4,00     7,36
    Seq Rd: 145,99  81,28   316,86  44,32  117,04  161,37
    Rnd Rd: 1.100    94,39   1.444    91,42  31,23    122,65

Disk in first dedi (just the average values): 401, 115, 1250, 1398 MB/s

Now, that is a very significant difference! The reason is that I got lucky with the first dedi because it had a SSD while the replacement dedi has a spindle.

Network:

GR_UNK:   93,23   87,60   98,20   6,03   5,34   11,37
    US_SJC:    33,53   32,60   34,60   2,76   3,21   5,97
    OK_LON:   180,05   169,40   186,60   5,92   3,64   9,55
    DE_FRA:   169,80   103,30   307,10   39,16   80,86   120,02
    BR_SAO:   26,60   25,30   27,30   4,89   2,63   7,52
    FR_PAR:   235,68   229,10   252,60   2,79   7,18   9,97
    US_WDC:   48,38   32,20   63,60 33,44   31,47   64,91
    RO_BUC:   143,00   135,10   147,70   5,52   3,29   8,81
    AU_MEL:   19,28   18,80   19,70   2,46   2,20   4,67
    IT_MIL:    129,13   126,50   132,70   2,03   2,77   4,80
    SG_SGP:   23,60   23,50   23,70   0,42   0,42   0,85
    US_DAL:   43,70   43,30   44,20   0,92   1,14   2,06
    RU_MOS:   117,58   102,90   129,20   12,48   9,89   22,37
    JP_TOK:    14,38   11,40   18,60   20,70   29,39   50,09
    NO_OSL:   146,95   141,90   155,80   3,44   6,02   9,46
    IN_CHN:    29,45   21,10   33,20   28,35   12,73   41,09

The network is OK. It could in fact be very nice but unfortunately it's quite flaky.. But I won't complain as we are talking about a very cheap dedi.

TL;DR - Stay away from Oneprovider/Online! I know that I can trust my benchmark and the numbers clearly show that the machine is either not a dedi but a VDS or that the processor is more dead than alive with just 2 or 3 cores left working.

Add the slooooooow, bureaucratic, and ignorant support to that and the result can only be: Stay away from Oneprovider and Online!

Thanked by 1default
  • I have to admit that OneProviders support is very poor. There is only 1-2 hours in the day that they reply.

With my box I had multiple issues from Raid multiple issues IPMI and issues with the drives. Which yeah I agree with the price you get what you pay for.

Regarding "Online" I don't mind them so much, support is fairly responsive and gets what I am asking straight away. I prefer to be in there AMS Data Center than there FR ones. As I got rid of my FR ones cos they were a bit crap.

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited October 2019

servers in paris are complete trash
    support is unwillig to help and do their job
    they acting without permission
    they give a shit about you

recently ordered 3 servers and everyone had several issues
    opened up a case on paypal and they wiped my account

not a legit company, just scam

got my money back from paypal mostly, but was not worth the 2 week hassle

• @kalipus said:

I know English isn't your first language, so just friendly heads up, you meant "they don't give a shit about you". Bizarrely, saying "they give a shit about you" is a good thing.

• @TimboJones said:

@kalipus said:

I know English isn't your first language, so just friendly heads up, you meant "they don't give a shit about you". Bizarrely, saying "they give a shit about you" is a good thing.

i just mean they shit on you

• @kalipus said:

@TimboJones said:

@kalipus said:

Some people pay extra for that.

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited October 2019

@TimboJones said:

@kalipus said:

@TimboJones said:

@kalipus said:

yes i know, but i don't have that kind of fetish, just use paypal for payment is my recommendation and screenshot every site and conversation before you open the case.

after that you can create a new account and get the server which mostly worked.

@jsg: what bench did you used?

• @kalipus said:

@TimboJones said:

@kalipus said:

@TimboJones said:

@kalipus said:

yes i know, but i don't have that kind of fetish, just use paypal for payment is my recommendation and screenshot every site and conversation before you open the case.

after that you can create a new account and get the server which mostly worked.

@jsg: what bench did you used?

See his signature.