Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach is Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach is Down

I can't access my server.
I can't access billing.
I can only access LET.

So, I posted this on LET.

Comments

• Billing works fine for me? Seems like NY10GKVM series are not affected.

How did you take a screenshot of the status page in the billing panel if billing is inaccessible?

• I am able to login to billing just fine.

• how many millions are you losing?

• My vps is working fine here.

• @yokowasis said:

So, I posted this on LET.

No you're not VirMach because you don't have any servers in "New York City" - fess up they're in Jersey!

• rep downgrade to Vircack.

Thanked by 2jsg willK
  • donlidonli Member
    edited September 2019

@spywork said:
    how many millions are you losing?

I'm losing millions of bits.

• omg omg end is nigh

• My vps is working fine! I can also access billing normally.

• Web is up for me

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

@yokowasis maybe this would be a good time to change the (clickbait) title?

you know ... while you're waiting for those nodes in New Jersey to get sorted out

By the way, my billing and my Buffaloe (== best New York, lol) are coming up just fine

~kthxbai :)

Thanked by 2MasonR TimboJones
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited September 2019

@uptime said:
    @yokowasis maybe this would be a good time to change the (clickbait) title?

you know ... while you're waiting for those nodes in New Jersey to get sorted out

By the way, my billing and my Buffaloe (== best New York, lol) are coming up just fine

~kthxbai :)

the title is virmach is down. My server which is in virmach is inaccessible. I believe that is classified as "down". How is that clickbait ? it's just the truth, and the title is nothing but the truth.

@sanvit said:
    Billing works fine for me? Seems like NY10GKVM series are not affected.

How did you take a screenshot of the status page in the billing panel if billing is inaccessible?

Billing is also "sometimes" down for me, it's very slow even cloudflare time out.

How much I lost is irrelevant. This section is called "outage". I can post in this section whenever a provider is having downtime. I don't really care if my idling vps is having downtime here and there. But unfortunately my virmach vps is my remote workstation. So, I give a shit about it.

Thanked by 2uptime Sofia_K
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@yokowasis said:
    my virmach vps is my remote workstation.

THAT is your real problem.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

yokowasis said: the title is virmach is down. My server which is in virmach is inaccessible. I believe that is classified as "down". How is that clickbait ? it's just the truth, and the title is nothing but the truth.

The point is you made the title "Virmach is Down", implying the entirety of VirMach is offline, which is far from the truth. Make the title more specific to the circumstances such as:

• "My VirMach NYC VPS is Down! Losing Millions!"
    • "VirMach NYC/NJ Infrastructure Offline"
    • "VirMach NYC Went Tits Up!"
    • or some other creative derivative you can come up with

yokowasis said: Billing is also "sometimes" down for me, it's very slow even cloudflare time out.

"Can't access billing" implies that their billing portal is completely offline, which also isn't the case. Looks to me like just your server details in the billing panel are unavailable (which makes sense if their NJ/NYC infrastructure is taking a nap).

The thread itself is fine and is probably a good awareness thread for those who also have boxes down in NJ/NYC, just the wording and implications drawn from it are concerning. Semantics is important, especially to us devout VirMachians.

• @MasonR said:

yokowasis said: the title is virmach is down. My server which is in virmach is inaccessible. I believe that is classified as "down". How is that clickbait ? it's just the truth, and the title is nothing but the truth.

The point is you made the title "Virmach is Down", implying the entirety of VirMach is offline, which is far from the truth. Make the title more specific to the circumstances such as:

yokowasis said: Billing is also "sometimes" down for me, it's very slow even cloudflare time out.

"Can't access billing" implies that their billing portal is completely offline, which also isn't the case. Looks to me like just your server details in the billing panel are unavailable (which makes sense if their NJ/NYC infrastructure is taking a nap).

The thread itself is fine and is probably a good awareness thread for those who also have boxes down in NJ/NYC, just the wording and implications drawn from it are concerning. Semantics is important, especially to us devout VirMachians.

Okay. I will take that into consideration next time I put the title. At the time I just lazy to go into details. Also billing is sometimes inaccessible. It throws cloud flare time out. Not just server details.

Thanked by 2uptime MasonR
  • corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited September 2019

Oh no my few SSD4G that i have for free are down

• @yokowasis said:

@MasonR said:

Okay. I will take that into consideration next time I put the title. At the time I just lazy to go into details. Also billing is sometimes inaccessible. It throws cloud flare time out. Not just server details.

You can be lazy on replies, but not when starting a new thread. Don't make your laziness everyone else's problem.

• Was down for: 7 hr 24 min

• @donli said:

Was down for: 7 hr 24 min

Why?

• Yes Virmach had a network outage. But, IMHO they handled it very professionally and their website provided details so users would know that they were aware of the problem and that they were attempting to repair it. This is how it should be done! Kudo’s to Virmach. Stuff happens, but they did the right thing by notifying users.

The servers themselves are actually fine, think of it as having a nice mountain cabin that you can’t get to because there is a rockslide on the road. The cabins fine and you’re fine. It’s that pesky packet data highway that had the issue. What makes me furious is when providers don’t give out any information. In this case the information was posted for everyone to see. Yes the billing page was slow to load, I care much more about the data on my server than the billing page. I have many instances with Virmach and only one server was affected. But the server itself wasn’t affected, just the downstream networking that had a failure. All cloud infrastructure still relies on physical hardware, and when you’re dealing with physical hardware sooner or later there will be a failure. This little bump in the road IMHO is a nonissue. We plan for events like this and our failover took hold. When the network issue was fixed, things went back to normal. But Virmach kept me informed, and that is what a good provider does when they care about customer satisfaction. Good job, Virmach!

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited September 2019

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@MasonR said:

You can be lazy on replies, but not when starting a new thread. Don't make your laziness everyone else's problem.

Did my thread create a problem for you or anyone else in this case?

It's not like because I Word the title poorly suddenly your server are down or something.

• @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@MasonR said:

It's not like because I Word the title poorly suddenly your server are down or something.

Yes. I really don't give two shits whether your server is down, but I care if Virmach as a whole, does. If you can't tell the serious difference between blanket "$company is down" and "$company has an outage on east coast", that's on you.

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@MasonR said:

Yes. I really don't give two shits whether your server is down, but I care if Virmach as a whole, does. If you can't tell the serious difference between blanket "$company is down" and "$company has an outage on east coast", that's on you.

I can tell difference. I just too lazy to put it on my title. If you draw conclusion based on the title without actually reading the content, and somehow you have a problem with it. That's on you.

• In a nutshell: OP starts a thread with a misleading title (only part of Virmach is down, not the whole of it but the title says otherwise), and people keeps pointing out that the title is wrong and should be changed, but OP says I know, but fuck you I'm lazy and will click-bait further users!

If you know you're too lazy to create a proper thread, then don't do create one. I'm sure other people will post it properly anyway.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

lulz ...

EDIT2:

(sorry, I hit the "post" button by mistake!)

Welp, this sure is some lame low-end drama.

But I'm over it now ... I think. :smiley:

• @gazmull said:
    In a nutshell: OP starts a thread with a misleading title (only part of Virmach is down, not the whole of it but the title says otherwise), and people keeps pointing out that the title is wrong and should be changed, but OP says I know, but fuck you I'm lazy and will click-bait further users!

If you know you're too lazy to create a proper thread, then don't do create one. I'm sure other people will post it properly anyway.

Yet nobody post it, before me. It's not like I instant post the moment it down.

• Admittedly, indeed no one posted it. However you are surely persistent with the misleading title. I'm out of here, nothing to argue anymore. :lol:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

@gazmull said:
    I'm out of here, nothing to argue anymore. :lol:

No. You are wrong. Come back and argue some more! :smiley:

• Think is you posted four time including the post you said that you are lazy. How lazy you need to be to have time to argue but not edit post ? And now time to edit is probably over ... I'm under impression that this is a dick move only to bash Virmach because your super cheap Black Friday deal is offline. Don't comply with the 100 % uptime SLA policy you will got some credit for your idle vps...

• @ben47955 said:
    Think is you posted four time including the post you said that you are lazy. How lazy you need to be to have time to argue but not edit post ? And now time to edit is probably over ... I'm under impression that this is a dick move only to bash Virmach because your super cheap Black Friday deal is offline. Don't comply with the 100 % uptime SLA policy you will got some credit for your idle vps...

1. I am lazy to update title / post. Doesn't mean I lazy to argue.
    2. Quote me, one sentence that implies me bashing virmach.
    3. If you read the thread you will know that it's not an idle vps. But if you don't, we'll that's on you.
    Thanked by 1uptime