Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• email delivery services are available ATM only in 2 us regions

Thanked by 1receivedthanks
  • Fully Provisioned. Hooray!

Thanks for info.
    At least 150 replies expected of which 70% discussing cards..

• Self-service sign up for your country is currently unavailable; please contact Oracle Sales to assist you with your request.

mmmm. ok.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Anybody managed to (easily) install Debian?

There does not seem to be any support for custom ISO, virtual media, iPXE or even KVM console to manually install OS from scratch.

I guess dd'ing a raw disk image over the virtual hard disk won't work due to UEFI and some oracle cloud magic required to properly boot the VM.

Installing Debian via debootstrap from Ubuntu looks a bit reckless and might also brick the bootloader.

Building an image with bootstrap-vz only supports aged Debian jessie.
    https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/OracleComputeImage

Any other promising ideas howto get a Debian for free - or success stories? :)

• @dfroe said:
    Anybody managed to (easily) install Debian?

There does not seem to be any support for custom ISO, virtual media, iPXE or even KVM console to manually install OS from scratch.

I guess dd'ing a raw disk image over the virtual hard disk won't work due to UEFI and some oracle cloud magic required to properly boot the VM.

Installing Debian via debootstrap from Ubuntu looks a bit reckless and might also brick the bootloader.

Building an image with bootstrap-vz only supports aged Debian jessie.

Any other promising ideas howto get a Debian for free - or success stories? :)

Maybe run it inside a docker container...?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2019

If you all up these resources you get from Google, Amazon.... should be enough to run a summer host for 2-3 months and then make a run.
    Sounds like a good concept.

Thanked by 2receivedthanks WSWD
  • I'm now keep getting Out of host capacity error when spinning up an instance in their Seoul region, anyone else?

• I guess they offered too much for free.

• @GreenVine said:
    I'm now keep getting Out of host capacity error when spinning up an instance in their Seoul region, anyone else?

LET strikes again, poor Oracle.

• Got one in DE, 'apt-get update' skyrocketed STEAL time to 60+... It immediately went to 60 during the update and immediately returned to 0.3 when update finished.

Will check further to see if it's similar to Google's free micro VM.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2019

dfroe said: Building an image with bootstrap-vz only supports aged Debian jessie.

This seems to be the most promising way so far, no problem it's jessie, if this works, can just dist-upgrade it to stretch or buster later within the running VM.

Except there's no way to load a tar.gz in their panel. Perhaps the instruction is for an older version of it, or for a different product altogether.

tdelenikas said: Got one in DE, 'apt-get update' skyrocketed STEAL time to 60+... It immediately went to 60 during the update and immediately returned to 0.3 when update finished.

Because you have 1/8th of a CPU core by the plan specs. Yes the CPU usage is capped, my dd+md5 test only gets about 90-100 MB/sec, whereas on a full core of this CPU it would show 500-600 MB/sec or more.

• Will they charge If I accidentally exceed resources allocation (like Google does) or they won't charge for free tier under any circumstances ?

edited September 2019

rm_ said: no problem it's jessie

In fact reading the "manifest" file, there's nothing to suggest we can't simply copy this to "stretch.yml" and change jessie to stretch inside it.

• @gooliver said:
    Will they charge If I accidentally exceed resources allocation (like Google does) or they won't charge for free tier under any circumstances ?

When providing the credit card info, it says you will not be charged unless you upgrade your account.

Thanked by 2receivedthanks tux
  • Control panel seems like a nightmare. How do you create an encryption key for a volume? I just get "not authorized" all the time.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

@rm_ said:
    Except there's no way to load a tar.gz in their panel. Perhaps the instruction is for an older version of it, or for a different product altogether.

You gave up to early - or didn't read the Oracle Cloud manual. ;)

You need to go to "Object Storage" and create a "Bucket". There you can upload files. When you open the details of an uploaded file, you can retrieve the url of that file. With that url in your clipboard you can create a "Custom Image". The options qcow2 and paravirtualized seem to make the most sense to me. After the Image has been created, you must edit the properties and make this image compatible with Micro instances. If you have come so far, you will be able to deploy a new always free micro instance using your custom image. You will be happy as it might properly boot, you can check from another instance that the assigned private IP responds to ARP, but you won't be able to ping or ssh your new Debian instance, neither via public nor private IP. You will notice that it's the same, no matter if you do it all the way with Debian stretch or jessie and buster will already fail to build.

These are my findings of the day. :)

I think it was easier to get Debian running on a Amiga than in this weird Oracle Cloud. :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dfroe said: I think it was easier to get Debian running on a Amiga than in this weird Oracle Cloud.

Oracle isn't interested in people running Debian. Their market is enterprises running big Java stacks, Oracle databases, Weblogic, Peoplesoft, and other grody enterprise apps. Probably 99% of their clients run either RHEL or OEL.

• @raindog308 said:

dfroe said: I think it was easier to get Debian running on a Amiga than in this weird Oracle Cloud.

Oracle isn't interested in people running Debian. Their market is enterprises running big Java stacks, Oracle databases, Weblogic, Peoplesoft, and other grody enterprise apps. Probably 99% of their clients run either RHEL or OEL.

Just be happy you're not limited to running Solaris.

Thanked by 2receivedthanks Baldr
  • I don't know about u oracle linux 7.7 distro is ok by me im up and running no complaints heck man its free, fsa all around :p

• Slow AF. Time to wait for everyone to start idling these boxes but the performance currently (cpu, disk, network) is very bad.

• all of mines on idle i dont know why i signed up heck free is free

• @hacktek said:
    Slow AF. Time to wait for everyone to start idling these boxes but the performance currently (cpu, disk, network) is very bad.

I think it's capped, rather than impacted by others on the same node.

• Can't create a VM, I get "Authorization failed or requested resource not found." Anyone else see this?

• @tetech said:
    Control panel seems like a nightmare. How do you create an encryption key for a volume? I just get "not authorized" all the time.

Answer: "The Key Management service is not available to promo customers."

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

donli said: Just be happy you're not limited to running Solaris.

It's dead, Jim. Oracle killed further SPARC development (only Fujitsu is still carrying the SPARC flag) and while they're still maintaining Solaris, it's in maintenance-only mode.

They're just doing Linux these days.

• Meh, it'll work great for a shared dev database system. Have it replicate out to some other free resources. I'll take it.

dfroe said: You gave up to early - or didn't read the Oracle Cloud manual.

You need to go to "Object Storage" and create a "Bucket". There you can upload files. When you open the details of an uploaded file, you can retrieve the url of that file. With that url in your clipboard you can create a "Custom Image". The options qcow2 and paravirtualized seem to make the most sense to me.

I'm not so sure. QCOW2 is QEMU's own disk format, it's a full image of a filesystem, like the one you make with "dd" (except here the internal format is more complex, to support Copy-on-write and such). On the other hand what you create in the bootstrap-vz document, is a "tar.gz", and that one sounded to me like it will be just all files from the root filesystem packed into an archive. Not an FS image, but rather just all files from it. Maybe it was a wrong impression. Let us know if you get any further success.

As for IP responding to ARP, that might be the UEFI's netboot support, or something.

edited September 2019

raindog308 said: Oracle isn't interested in people running Debian. Their market is enterprises running big Java stacks, Oracle databases, Weblogic, Peoplesoft, and other grody enterprise apps. Probably 99% of their clients run either RHEL or OEL.

Still they do offer Ubuntu on these, and even a recent version (18.04). Would not be surprised if they add Debian down the line, after getting enough requests (from someone actually paying :)

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited September 2019

ifconfig and route command return only internal IPs (10.0.x.x) is there a firewall panel somewhere?