Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to know I have raid or hardware raid?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to know I have raid or hardware raid?

Without asking the provider is there any way I can ssh and get information if I have Raid set up and if it is a hardware raid ?

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Who's the server with? It will normally tell you on the pricing. If it doesn't say Hardware raid it normally means it's just software.

You can run this cat /proc/mdstat and see what it says.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • rcxbrcxb Member
    edited September 2019

smartctl -a /dev/sda is a good one. It won't return drive details through a hardware RAID controller until you add a -d +arg to it.

Also, lspci will show you what controller cards are in the system, which can be matched up to lsscsi drives.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Jord said: You can run this cat /proc/mdstat and see what it says.

That's definitive...in fact, I don't think mdadm even has a list command - they just tell you to look at mdstat.

@Oldmanasking, if you see something like this, it's software raid:

Personalities : [raid1] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10] 
    md0 : active raid1 sdc1[1] sdd1[0]
          233899840 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
          bitmap: 1/2 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk

If you don't see any mdXX devices, it's not.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • As above if you don't see any in mdstat..

Request for IPMI and dig details what kind of HW Raid you have configured. You should understand the arrays configured.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • GuyPGuyP Member
    edited September 2019

Depending on the controller there's likely a command line utility. For example, lspci tells me the following:

boxn:~# lspci | grep -i storage
    01:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064ET PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
    boxn:~#

There's a utility called lsiutil for LSI raid cards:

boxn:~/lsiutil/Linux# ./lsiutil.x86_64

LSI Logic MPT Configuration Utility, Version 1.62, January 14, 2009

1 MPT Port found

Port Name         Chip Vendor/Type/Rev    MPT Rev  Firmware Rev  IOC
     1.  /proc/mpt/ioc0    LSI Logic SAS1064E B3     105      011e0000     0

Select a device:  [1-1 or 0 to quit]

Also, why don't code tags work properly? The ticks don't work either. What's the correct way to post code on this forum? Got it. Use pre tags, not code.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • @Jord said:
    Who's the server with? It will normally tell you on the pricing. If it doesn't say Hardware raid it normally means it's just software.

www.internetbrothers.co.kr and they tell me they have assigned a hardware raid I just want to know by myself

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@Oldmanasking said:

@Jord said:

www.internetbrothers.co.kr and they tell me they have assigned a hardware raid I just want to know by myself

What service are you using? VPS or Dedicated Server?

If it's a VPS, you can't know whether they're using RAID or not.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

dmidecode

Thanked by 2skorous uptime
  • @Oldmanasking said:

@Jord said:

This is about my dedicated server .

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Oldmanasking said:

@Oldmanasking said:

@Jord said:

This is about my dedicated server .

So follow the several valid options others have provided above.