Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very good experience from Contabo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very good experience from Contabo

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited June 2019 in Reviews

Hi all.

I am a customer of Contabo for over 3 years and I already have a still working vps with them for over 2 1/2 years (a VPS-M with 500GB HDD, 2 cores and 4GB RAM).

I am throwing this review here because I purchased today a new vps with them on top of the existing one, a SSD-S.
I would say that, for the price, I am really impressed with them. My older vps is costing more (7€/m) and has a really good performance for the price. I have installed Proxmox in it (no nested virt, but with good ol' LXC that is working like a charm) and in a NAT environment, I run there a lot of containers (a backup vps, two openvpn ones, an icecast streaming server, a nginx rtmp streaming server, a nimble server and a couple of vps for websites, not very crowded ones). All of them are working more than fine and the speeds are good, also.
It had an uptime of over 450 days before I rebooted it on some upgrades I did there and never had a real issue with. In fact, I have never opened a support ticket with Contabo till today, for my new vps.

A new vps that, in the first hours I have it, I am really excited watching the performance compared to the cost of it.
4 cores, 8GB memory and 200GB SSD for 5 euros. I already installed proxmox and created a couple of containers there. IPv6 is working like a charm, on top of the NAT environment I setup.
There was an issue about the SSD speeds when delivered, I could only achieve speed of ~125MB/s. That's why I raised a ticket and, in an hour, I got a respond where informed me that they did some tweaks on my VPS and fixed the write speed to the disk.
So, now, without a reboot, I get speeds almost 600MB/s, something more than good when talking for 200 whole gigabytes of SSD space and a lot of memory for just 5 euros per month.
I was also impressed that in less than an hour on Sunday, they did that fix without asking anything else.
The speeds are exactly what they advertise (200Mbits with this plan) and it is an unmetered unthrottled for the 100mbits, if the usage of 200mbits is exceeding full usage of the port for more than 8 days. More than fair!

To sum up, this is a quick bench with specs, disk speeds and cachefly speeds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
Number of cores      : 4
CPU frequency        : 2199.998 MHz
Total size of Disk   : 195.9 GB (12.1 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem  : 7976 MB (797 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
System uptime        : 0 days, 1 hour 37 min
Load average         : 0.07, 0.02, 0.00
OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 9
Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel               : 4.15.18-16-pve
I/O speed(1st run)   : 573 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 568 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 569 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 570.0 MB/s
Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         23.9MB/s
Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          8.69MB/s
Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            7.99MB/s
Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           23.0MB/s
Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           23.9MB/s
Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             12.3MB/s
Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           13.9MB/s
Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          11.5MB/s
Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            23.6MB/s
Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           10.9MB/s
Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          10.1MB/s

Comments

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Download speed is less but you seems satisfied thats great, thanks for the review though.

• Nice, run a nench.sh test and monitor your steal time on these multi-vCPU plans...it may surprise you. Do they allow custom ISO and subtract VAT for US-based customers?

• TerensMTerensM Member
    edited September 2019

The network is the only flaw, as I remember also the ping is crappy

• jvnadr said: It had an uptime of over 450 days before I rebooted it on some upgrades

I remember 6 years ago when I left them, the uptime could hardly reach 10 days or above. So glad that they have improved their products during these years and I'll probably
    try to get on board with them again.

• With so many security patches these days I wonder if a long uptime is a sign of a neglected server.

Thanked by 2fLoo Ouji
  • @TerensM said:
    The network is the only flaw, as I remember also the ping is crappy

True. A lot of http connections just hang or take ages to connect (more than 10sec) from here.

• Great review! Thanks :)

• geekypixalgeekypixal Member
    edited September 2019

I'm also using Contabo over 4 Years and pretty good VPS services they have. When I buy their 1st VPS it was HDD and they upgraded my HDD VPS to SSD VPS with free of charge

Support is also good. Replies come within 1 hour for email. If we need very urgent help. We can call them and there call support also very friendly :smile:

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@geekypixal said:
    Support is also good. Replies come within 1 hour for email. If we need very urgent help. We can call them and there call support also very friendly :smile:

Well i don't know much about support but there sales team sucks , i had some queries regarding there VPS plan and mailed them regarding the same but didn't got any reply from them.
    May be they were not interested to provide me service or there mail system didn't got my email.

Thanked by 1moyashi
  • Isn't Contabo also a hosting provider which hosts several Warez sites?

• @Vlado said:
    Isn't Contabo also a hosting provider which hosts several Warez sites?

Probably not willingly.