Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDOC Kansas HDD Array failure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDOC Kansas HDD Array failure

HardwareRAID Failure (HDD Array)
An intervention has been scheduled for Wednesday 11th September to carry out a powered down hot swap of our HDD array.

Should really backup my data frequently.

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

I wonder what a powered down hot swap is.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@jackb said:

This happens if you have no cooling and the disks are so hot that you need to shut them down in order to replace them...

Thanked by 2dz_paji brueggus
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Defeats the purpose of being hot swappable

Thanked by 2dz_paji jaypeesmith
  • Back in the day, our NCR Galaxy box had hot-swap RAID5 but the drives were encased. When the panel was removed to replace a drive, a microswitch triggered a power down! Good plan.:-/

Thanked by 1dz_paji
  • @jackb said:

The announcement was made after contact with our DC.
    They advised to have the server powered down to change the faulty disk/s and prevent damage to the SSD array.

@dz_paji said:

HardwareRAID Failure (HDD Array)
    An intervention has been scheduled for Wednesday 11th September to carry out a powered down hot swap of our HDD array.

Should really backup my data frequently.

If the whole array fails, we have backups. But yes, you really should.

Thanked by 2dz_paji skorous
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

@HostDoc said:

@jackb said:

The announcement was made after contact with our DC.
    They advised to have the server powered down to change the faulty disk/s and prevent damage to the SSD array.

The only reason I can think they'd say that for a server with hotswap drives is if the drive labels are face down and they're not externally labeled (i.e. difficult to identify drives with certainty).

Might be worthwhile having them label the tray (or top of the drives) with serial numbers while they're at it if that is the case.

• This was my introduction to HostDoc. Got my services moveed over and hot damn wasn't more than a few hours before it went tits up. ROTFLMAO The IT Godz weren't smiling on us. It's unfortunate that the timing of this was so bad. But HW is HW you are at it's mercy. Have seen enough good stuff about The Doctor I don't blame them...crap just happens.

• @SSDBlaze said:
    Defeats the purpose of being hot swappable

Cold swap

Thanked by 3SSDBlaze dz_paji uptime
  • none of this makes any sense

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

HostDoc said: They advised to have the server powered down to change the faulty disk/s and prevent damage to the SSD array.

But... then how is it a hot swap?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • It's a Luke warm swap

Thanked by 3uptime skorous dz_paji
  • better a cold swap than a hot mess, ammirite?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Depending on the situation I would say.

Thanked by 3uptime dz_paji ITLabs