Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you try Hourly VPS or cloud would you share your experience?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Those types of servers that you use it and only pay for the time it was up or can be closed and used some other time.

Comments

• What is your question? Hourly works fine but tends to cost a little bit more than comparable monthly services.

• @Go4Mart said:

Those types of servers that you use it and only pay for the time it was up or can be closed and used some other time.

You still pay hourly even if you shutdown your server. The billing stops if you destroy the server. The advantage is when you only need it for a couple of hours or days, so you don't need to pay for the whole month.

If you are reselling then the advantage is that in case your client discontinue the service then you don't have to worry about the billing cut-off which is applied by most providers (eg. every 15th or 10 days before due date).

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Actually, I was hoping for more experience and which company you used.

Yes, if you doing a test or development and you just doing the test, and will destroy the server after the test complete then no need for monthly costs if you only use it for the hours of test right.

Share your experience and what you did use the server for? and which is good and fast to deploy...

• Best for me so far is hetzner. Deploys in seconds and (actual) charges lowest for hourly billing

• I've never had any real probs with any of them. hetzner is the cheapest per hour for a given size vm in most cases. DO is nice because minimum billing increment is 1 second instead of 1 hour. DO, Vultr, and maybe a few others have signup codes where you get some free credit. i'm sure lots of us here will be happy to give you codes (we get affiliate credit if you become a paying customer). DO and Scaleway have auto installers for many apps while Hetzner doesn't have much of one. Vultr has high frequency instances that are very fast. Lunanode has a free $20 credit offer. There's lots of choices.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @cybertech said:
    Best for me so far is hetzner. Deploys in seconds and (actual) charges lowest for hourly billing

Sorry for my stupid question butg I still do not understand how hetzner works so you pay monthly and hourly ? If you buy a vps and let's say you use it for 10 hours in a month and turn the vps off you pay the fixed monthly fee + 10 hours ?

• hzrhzr Member

Oldmanasking said: Sorry for my stupid question butg I still do not understand how hetzner works so you pay monthly and hourly ? If you buy a vps and let's say you use it for 10 hours in a month and turn the vps off you pay the fixed monthly fee + 10 hours ?

you pay hourly up until you hit the monthly price cap

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • No, if you have the vps for 10 hours (after that you have to destroy it completely, not just turn it off), you pay for 10 hours. So if you have a CX11 which is something like 0.6 cents an hour, you pay 6 cents. So they are nice if you just want to quickly try something, or alternatively if you need a large expensive machine for a few hours.

The larger instances are expensive enough that if you need one for more than a few days though, you should consider whether you can use a cheap dedi for a month instead.

Thanked by 2uptime Hetzner_OL
  • @Oldmanasking said:

@cybertech said:
    Best for me so far is hetzner. Deploys in seconds and (actual) charges lowest for hourly billing

Sorry for my stupid question butg I still do not understand how hetzner works so you pay monthly and hourly ? If you buy a vps and let's say you use it for 10 hours in a month and turn the vps off you pay the fixed monthly fee + 10 hours ?

Chargeable as long as it isn't killed/destroyed

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Oldmanasking said:

@cybertech said:

You're billed at the hourly rate, if you use it for more than a set percentage of the month (~85%), the rest of the month is practically free.

• @Oldmanasking said:

@cybertech said:

No you would pay for the whole month, unless you destroy the vps.

They treat a turned off vps as an idling one since the resources are still reserved for you.

For instance you spin up a vps that costs 5 dollars for whole month. You turn it off, but not destroy it. They charged you the 5 bucks. If you use for lets say 15 days, they charge you 2.50.

Let's say pricing puts it at $0.007 an hour. If you use 10 hours of it and then destroy it you would pay $0.07 for the month.

It is all based off the hour/second and not a fixed price scale. So if you use less you pay less.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited August 2019

Edit : wrong thread

• kasslekassle Member
    edited August 2019

just trying ramnode, pretty good so far. and it seem the billing only calculate when the vm is running. Dunno what will happen after a month without destroying the vm.

maybe @Nick_A can clarify

update:
    well they also calculcate stopped instance

Instances count toward usage as long as they exist. This includes stopped instances

https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase/4172/How-does-hourly-billing-work-for-cloud-hosting.html

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I recently grabbed free credit from LunaNode and tried their services. Very satisfying. Panel is easy and understandable. Everything worked like a charm. Great for testing things out, learning, self developing. However, never used any of them for a production environment.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • yes tried free credit from lunanode as well service is fast and connection is stable iwas testing wp setup for client so only needed server for few hours satisfied with deploying and hourly billing model

Thanked by 1grep
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

kassle said: well they also calculcate stopped instance

Yep

Thanked by 1kassle
  • Here is my comparison between 3 providers:

Aruba Cloud @ArubaCloud :

Their hourly plan is pretty cheap for the quality of CPU, HDD, RAM and UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH that you get. If you need to spun a machine fast for demanding tasks, I very much recommend this.
    Everything is much faster compared to other monthly cheap plan such as Host Solutions.
    What I like about Aruba is their unlimited bandwidth and very good CPU performance for the price. So if I need a VM to do heavy CPU and bandwidth task, I end up paying much cheaper by using the hourly plan.
    I also end up finishing the tasks faster due to the much better quality of CPU than monthly plan from other providers.

Host Solutions:

Host solutions provides cheap monthly/yearly plan. However the CPU, Bandwidth, RAM, HDD speed and quality is much lower compared to hourly plan from other server provider. But it is useful when you need cheap server that needs to be idle for 24/7 without using much of server resource.

Luna Node:

Luna Node hourly plan seems very complicated in billing calculation compared to other providers.
    While they provide good enough speed and quality of CPU/RAM/Bandwidth, there are many traps that could get you billed more unsuspectingly.
    Once I got billed/overcharged so much because the way my VM burst used the bandwidth and sit idle for couple days because of their complicated bandwidth billing algorithm.
    https://wiki.lunanode.com/index.php/Burstable_Resources
    https://wiki.lunanode.com/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions#Is_additional_bandwidth_usage_billed_hourly.3F
    Take a look at that links for example. It is so complicated, and many traps designed so that you can get overcharged for using any server resources above "baseline usage" at any given hour.
    So it is ridiculous and unnecessary. You can not plot your server resource usage to have a linear line graph. No, sometimes you uses a lot os CPU and bandwidth etc, and the rest of hours it will not, or even sit idle.

So that is the main difference between @ArubaCloud hourly plan and Luna Node plan.
    The result is that the customer feels safer (mentally) knowing if they use hourly plan like Aruba Cloud because they know they won't get over billed for using CPU resources slightly above VM predefined soft limit.

• It depends on what you want todo. Vultr has excellent CPU/disk/network on their HF VPS. Lunanode is a bit slow for me, especially their disk speed and I/O limits. Linode is so so. Upcloud - not very flexible. My fav in Europe has always been Hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Please try Vultr, it supports paying hourly. Once your destoryed the instance, you don't cost any penny. I host my blog on Vultr and its support team is very responsive.

• Vultr also take/store free snapshots, which is very handy in development. You can spin up something to test, snapshot it, destroy it, and recreate it from snapshot later when you need to run your test again without paying for anything in between