Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying vps from hetzner please help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying vps from hetzner please help

I am sorry if my question seems to be stupid . I am not good with all of this. If I want to run a community forum about 1000 visitors a day and a wordpress which of this plan should I choose? Is this vps?

https://prnt.sc/ox0mhq

Thanks for help

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

It depends how good is your Linux admin skills and how good optimised your wordpress, for 1000 users should be ok.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • I would go for a 2+ core considering that is wordpress

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • @TerensM said:
    I would go for a 2+ core considering that is wordpress

You mean I click on Dedicated vCPU (NVMe SSD) and choose 2 core?

• @Oldmanasking said:

@TerensM said:

Do you actually need dedicated cores? I doubt it.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • @Skander said:

@Oldmanasking said:

@TerensM said:

Do you actually need dedicated cores? I doubt it.

If it is not dedicated is it some thing like openvz?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2019

CX21 should be enough. You do not need dedicated cores for a forum with 1000 users.

Technically even CX11 should work for a small forum, but you would need to buy disk space for additional cost if the forum ever expands.

• @stefeman said:
    CX21 should be enough. You do not need dedicated cores for a forum with 1000 users.

Technically even CX11 should work for a small forum, but you would need to buy disk for additional cost if the forum ever expands.

I can see CX21 says 4.90 Month
    what what does that /h mean bellow it says 0.008 euro per hour?
    I am confused. Also should I use localstorage or network storage ?
    I do not understand the difference

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

It means per hour, so you will be billed hourly. So you can cancel the server part through the month and will be only charged for what you've used.

What is the difference between local and ceph disks for servers on the CX models?
    Servers with local disks keep all data on a local RAID mirror on the host system. They are optimized for high I/O performance and low latency and are especially suited for applications which require fast access to disks with low latency, such as databases.

Servers with ceph disks store their data on a remote filesystem. Each block is stored on three different servers. They are especially suited for higher availability needs: If the local host hardware fails, we will boot the server on a different machine.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

You should probably use shared hosting since it doesn't sound like you want to deal with the hassles of administering a VPS. Just select your forum software from an auto installer. If you want to use a vps, get one from a host that supplies a free control panel and softactulous and install from that, configure automatic backups, etc. That will cost a little more than Hetzner since nobody beats Hetzner in hardware resources per dollar, but with Hetzner you will have to install everything yourself and get it running, instead of clicking a few icons to have it done for you.

VPS are great value but they are not really beginner products. They are like buying raw lumber so you can make your own furniture. If you just want furniture and are not into carpentry, you are better off with ready made furniture.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Depending on the forum software of course. Not all of them can be installed on shared hosting easily. @Oldmanasking there are plenty of how-to guides on how to setup a VPS and get it working. Digital Ocean has some pretty awesome guides.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • gonaifgonaif Member
    edited August 2019

@willie said:
    You should probably use shared hosting since it doesn't sound like you want to deal with the hassles of administering a VPS. Just select your forum software from an auto installer. If you want to use a vps, get one from a host that supplies a free control panel and softactulous and install from that, configure automatic backups, etc. That will cost a little more than Hetzner since nobody beats Hetzner in hardware resources per dollar, but with Hetzner you will have to install everything yourself and get it running, instead of clicking a few icons to have it done for you.

VPS are great value but they are not really beginner products. They are like buying raw lumber so you can make your own furniture. If you just want furniture and are not into carpentry, you are better off with ready made furniture.

+1 You should measure the security + configuration + monitor for VPS “ Dedicated server another story “

Try hosting your static website at home to measure it more deeply if it suits you or not

You will find at the end that’s you have to add per hour expenses of managed the server

for example
    2$ Hosting + 25$ Managed service “at least”

Summary
    Start with shared host or reseller account maximum than upgrade later whenever you need

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited August 2019

CX21 should suffice and handle it well.

Depending on panel used and forum platform , it may also run ok out of the box on CX11 + maybe 1gb swap just in case

Good to have the caching applied (redis etc) and optimize webserver caching maybe. Do believe there is couple of caching for WordPress as well.

Hetzner CPUs are Xeon gold with decent 3000+ geekbench score.

Thanked by 1Oldmanasking