Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a Shared Hosting Provider that supports Laravel, or an app similar to Koel without Laravel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a Shared Hosting Provider that supports Laravel, or an app similar to Koel without Laravel?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2019 in General

Looking to setup private music streaming to save some space of my phone but looking to do this on shared hosting to save some extra buck. I can't imagine one device streaming an mp3 file at a time being super resource heavy so I guess it would be fine on shared hosting? Problem is most awesome-selfhosted Music Libraries like koel require some extras like Laravel, hence the question if anyone knows a shared hosts that supports this, or another awesome-selfhosted music library app that does more or less the same like Koel so I can look into it ;)

Kind regards,
Ympker

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

We support Laravel... :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Laravel is a PHP Framework, so every PHP hosting that meets Laravel requirements will support it. Laravel requirements are very common to be met.

Thanked by 2Ympker bugrakoc
  • Just saw nodejs is in the mix, too :smile:
    This will probably make it harder^^

https://koel.phanan.net/docs/#/

• @Ympker said:
    Just saw nodejs is in the mix, too :smile:

Nodejs is used only for clientside. So any PHP hosting will be fine

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2019

@Cappuccino said:

@Ympker said:
    Just saw nodejs is in the mix, too :smile:

Nodejs is used only for clientside. So any PHP hosting will be fine

It does say server side, or am I missing smth?

Server:
    All requirements by Laravel – PHP, OpenSSL, composer and such. Consider setting PHP's memory_limit to a good value (512M or better) if you have a big library.
    MySQL or MariaDB. Actually, any DBMS supported by Laravel should work.
    NodeJS latest stable with yarn

• Apparently the @HostDoc shared hosting supports NodeJS, not sure about the Laravel side though unfortunately.

Thanked by 2Ympker HostDoc
  • All PHP shared hosting support Laravel. Did you mean for setup Laravel by Shell command?

• @laoban said:
    All PHP shared hosting support Laravel. Did you mean for setup Laravel by Shell command?

I'll need to look into that, I guess. I just looked at the required specs and since in such case often shell access/vps are superior I just wanted to line out what I need from the get go so it's covered.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

the nodejs in Koel is for installing and managing javascript files needed by Koel Frontend. I've checked it package.json nothing seems to require nodejs backend stuff.

so technically you can install Koel using laravel commands on shared server that have SSH with nodejs yarn package manager . or you can install it on your local PC and then just upload it like you upload any other script . (however future upgrades will be pain using this method)

its just another php script with mysql database .

Thanked by 2Ympker uptime
  • @XSLTel said:
    the nodejs in Koel is for installing and managing javascript files needed by Koel Frontend. I've checked it package.json nothing seems to require nodejs backend stuff.

so technically you can install Koel using laravel commands on shared server that have SSH with nodejs yarn package manager . or you can install it on your local PC and then just upload it like you upload any other script . (however future upgrades will be pain using this method)

Ah, thanks! In that case I'll give one of my existing Reseller plans a go first, to see if everything's working ;)

• @Ympker said:

@XSLTel said:

Ah, thanks! In that case I'll give one of my existing Reseller plans a go first, to see if everything's working ;)

Would be interested in knowing what you came up with.

Thanked by 2Ympker kkrajk
  • @Ympker said:

@XSLTel said:

I tried with a BuyShared reseller (DA) and it was missing yarn and composer. Ticketed to install yarn

Thanked by 2Ympker kkrajk
  • @Ympker

Let me help you with any queries related to Laravel on shared hosting

Issue no 1

No shell access

Laravel can be installed no doubt without having shell access but in future when you want to run composer update
    You are in lots of trouble

Issue no 2.

Shitty development on Webhosting

If you are using Laravel on shared hosting .You have to change your DB scheme or create a new seeder class. And you don't have time to download the whole source code youe are f**ked

Couple of times I had to install laravel installation on shared hosting and client didn't give me cPanel access so I had to upload 12-13K small files using FTP as shared generaly speaking doesn't come with SSH and you cannot unzip using simple FTP

3.Artisan and Tinker NPM NodeJS

The beauty of laravel lies in tinker and artisan.
    NPM is required to build dependencies for front end like AdminLTE theme or so...
    and using these on shared hosting is simply if not impossible extremely complex

1. Laravel Queue Worker

You cannot run Queue workers like you could do easily on a VPS

There are more ..... I just can't remember more

Thanked by 2Ympker seenu
  • @noaman said:
    @Ympker

Let me help you with any queries related to Laravel on shared hosting

Issue no 1

No shell access

Laravel can be installed no doubt without having shell access but in future when you want to run composer update
    You are in lots of trouble

Issue no 2.

Shitty development on Webhosting

If you are using Laravel on shared hosting .You have to change your DB scheme or create a new seeder class. And you don't have time to download the whole source code youe are f**ked

Couple of times I had to install laravel installation on shared hosting and client didn't give me cPanel access so I had to upload 12-13K small files using FTP as shared generaly speaking doesn't come with SSH and you cannot unzip using simple FTP

3.Artisan and Tinker NPM NodeJS

The beauty of laravel lies in tinker and artisan.
    NPM is required to build dependencies for front end like AdminLTE theme or so...
    and using these on shared hosting is simply if not impossible extremely complex

1. Laravel Queue Worker

You cannot run Queue workers like you could do easily on a VPS

There are more ..... I just can't remember more

That's why I was wondering whether shared hosting would actually be sufficient. Thanks! I'll give it a try on shared, otherwhise it's gonna be a vps I guess^^

• I have a bunch of custom client websites/apps written with Laravel backends, running on shared cpanel hosting. We have ssh access though, it would be more painfull to manage without. The workflow is pretty standard - develope on a local machine, push to GitHub. Ssh into server, git pull, php artisan migrate, done.

Without ssh, it's more work - Dev on local machine, dump database, FTP files, import database via phpmyadmin on server.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • One thing most of the people are missing out is

Laravel queue worker....

Let me know how you run that in a shared hosting

And no its not optional

It is used when sending activation email and confirming email address in most simplest of the cases

• @noaman said:
    One thing most of the people are missing out is

Laravel queue worker....

And no its not optional

It is used when sending activation email and confirming email address in most simplest of the cases

https://github.com/orobogenius/sansdaemon

• noaman said: Let me know how you run that in a shared hosting

Cronjob.

• @solaire said:

noaman said: Let me know how you run that in a shared hosting

Cronjob.

Wrong

Cron job fires Laravel scheduler and then it simply does the job that was queued at that specific date time etc

Laravel queue workers are basically running and listening for any job that was queued and generally do it almost immediately

A hackish way to run the queue worker to make a scheduler event for every minute which calls php artisan queue:listen and then exits after doing the job ... But really haven't tried it

@ITLabs said:

@noaman said:

Laravel queue worker....

And no its not optional

https://github.com/orobogenius/sansdaemon

I don't think this package would help in this regard

• solairesolaire Member
    edited August 2019

noaman said: Laravel queue workers are basically running and listening for any job that was queued and generally do it almost immediately

And how exactly is that not possible with crontabs again?

noaman said: A hackish way to run the queue worker to make a scheduler event for every minute which calls php artisan queue:listen and then exits after doing the job ... But really haven't tried it

There you go, you've answered your own question. If you spawn a process every minute and keep it alive for a minute, you have instant queue workers.

noaman said: I don't think this package would help in this regard

https://medium.com/@orobogenius/laravel-queue-processing-on-shared-hosting-dedd82d0267a

Thanked by 2ITLabs gonaif
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@noaman said:

I don't think this package would help in this regard

It's a workaround that extends queue:work allowing the worker to process all jobs in the queue when called by cron.

Ofc it's not the best solution and I recommend against running your multimillion-dollar-laravel-app-with-1k-jobs on a shared hosting. :wink:

• edited August 2019

@noaman said:

Laravel queue worker....

And no its not optional

If your shared hosting provider gives SSH access, wouldn't nohup work? Something like:

nohup /usr/bin/php /path/to/artisan queue:work --tries=3 &

• @definitelyliam said:

@noaman said:

Laravel queue worker....

And no its not optional

If your shared hosting provider gives SSH access, wouldn't nohup work? Something like:

nohup /usr/bin/php /path/to/artisan queue:work --tries=3 &

Well the ssh provided with shared hosting is quite limited

So I doubt nohup would work....

• @solaire said:

noaman said: Laravel queue workers are basically running and listening for any job that was queued and generally do it almost immediately

And how exactly is that not possible with crontabs again?

noaman said: A hackish way to run the queue worker to make a scheduler event for every minute which calls php artisan queue:listen and then exits after doing the job ... But really haven't tried it

There you go, you've answered your own question. If you spawn a process every minute and keep it alive for a minute, you have instant queue workers.

noaman said: I don't think this package would help in this regard

https://medium.com/@orobogenius/laravel-queue-processing-on-shared-hosting-dedd82d0267a

Okay I just read the article

Not the best way of implementing this but this should work on shared hosting