Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Students: Get free 1U 1 Year Colocation in London
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Students: Get free 1U 1 Year Colocation in London

FoulFoul Member
edited August 2019 in General

Didn't find the thread for the github student thread that was posted here a a year ago, so posting in general (feel free to move if you think it's not fit)

https://www.netwise.co.uk/students/ -- Requires that you have a verified github education pack

https://education.github.com/pack

Netwise is offering free 1U Colocation if you ship your server to them in london for one year, NSA.

Comments

• Also saw it. Their prices look kinda bad tho. 1TB included and 25£ for extra TB, ROFL.

• FoulFoul Member

luissousa said: Also saw it. Their prices look kinda bad tho. 1TB included and 25£ for extra TB, ROFL.

That's per month, but 1tb is enough for a student per month.

• @luissousa said:
    Also saw it. Their prices look kinda bad tho. 1TB included and 25£ for extra TB, ROFL.

Yeah plus 100 mbps port meh. And only 0.5 amp.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:
    Also saw it. Their prices look kinda bad tho. 1TB included and 25£ for extra TB, ROFL.

FREE.

Francisco

• FoulFoul Member

Some people really expect more for "FREE"!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

New London offers inbound...

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • 0.5 UK amps is like 1 yankee amp.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Run a bloody raspberry pi cluster in that case, profit.

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@marvel said:
    only 0.5 amp.

It's 0.5A @ 240V, so about 120W of usable power. That's a lot of power for a free plan.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Now I forsee more summer hosts that can only last for one year.

Thanked by 3ITLabs Ympker sayem314
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:

FREE.

Francisco

Aye man. 10A pls. No cost. Free pls.

• lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

This is pretty neat! I wish this was around when I was a student.

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:

FREE.

Francisco

10A @ 12V?

Thanked by 1FHR
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Lyphiard said:

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:

FREE.

Francisco

10A @ 12V?

220V!!! And generators. Dual power feeds and Unmetered 100 Gbps pls.

• @Francisco said:

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:

FREE.

Francisco

Free for Students, 49£ a month for everyone else. It's expensive considering the features, and I don't think a student would want to pay overage bandwidth at that pricing after screwing up the security on their server.
    A normal student wouldn't even have a server anyway, so I don't see the relevance of the offer or why it was even listed on Github Student Pack :tongue:

Thanked by 2MikePT marvel
  • @MikePT said:

@Lyphiard said:

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:

FREE.

Francisco

10A @ 12V?

220V!!! And generators. Dual power feeds and Unmetered 100 Gbps pls.

Debian selekter?

• luissousa said: A normal student wouldn't even have a server anyway

One of my friends in high school had a server rack in his bedroom closet. He would have loved a free or cheap colo deal :tongue: I was jealous because he had 1.5 Mb/s ADSL at a time when pretty much everyone else (including myself) had dial-up.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @Francisco said:

@marvel said:

@luissousa said:

FREE.

Francisco

Well yes it's 'FREE' BUT...

It's free for 1 year only and it's colocation so the student needs to bring his own server. Then if he has overusage he still needs to pay up which is highly likely with these specs, either overusage in amperes or bandwidth.

Then after 1 year his server is still there and he has to pay the monthly fee. It's highly unlikely if you still need the colo you're going over the trouble of moving it, so the provider gains a new client.

Further more It's also great advertising for the host provider.

So yes I am aware it's FREE but with some caveats.

I'm not trying to be negative here, it's great marketing, pretty smart. If you still have their business when they stop being a student and get a job, why not. The publicity alone is probably worth more than one full rack :smiley:

• The way you describe it marvel, is the same thinking behind banks offering students interest-free overdrafts - makes a lot of sense for attracting custom.

• Summer hosts from London incoming.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@marvel said:
    I'm not trying to be negative here, it's great marketing, pretty smart. If you still have their business when they stop being a student and get a job, why not. The publicity alone is probably worth more than one full rack :smiley:

I'm sorry? Doesn't matter what their intentions are, the fact is that you're getting a service worth 500 EUR+ for FREE.

Thanked by 3Foul muffin lnx
  • @FHR said:

@marvel said:

I'm sorry? Doesn't matter what their intentions are, the fact is that you're getting a service worth 500 EUR+ for FREE.

Well compare it to most mobile games these days, free to play but with microtransactions. A lot of people complain about those as well, or should they just shut up because it's FREE?

So yes it does matter what their intentions are, and I'm not saying they have bad intentions or anything, I'm saying this is just marketing. No company will give something for free without any conditions so you should always be careful if you take such an offer.

• FoulFoul Member

marvel said: So yes it does matter what their intentions are, and I'm not saying they have bad intentions or anything, I'm saying this is just marketing. No company will give something for free without any conditions so you should always be careful if you take such an offer.

You seem to have a big hatred towards them.

There is no gimmicks attached, sure if you go over it, you'll have to pay.

Normal students these days in college etc wont use that much bandwidth. I suggest you go read their fineprint before making such accusations about netwise.

If you don't keep it after a year, you either pay for label to ship back to you, or revert to the colo cost per month.

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited August 2019

Imagine complaining that a FREE, I repeat 'FREE' service is bad because it doesn't offer 10Gbps of bandwidth unmetered, 60A @ 240V and unlimited free remote hands. Netwise are doing something that I've never seen another DC before so stop complaining.

Nobody is forcing anyone to take it if they believe they will go over the provided limits, some people likely won't go over the limits and those will be the people who will sign up for it.

Thanked by 3lnx Foul FHR
  • @tester4 said:
    Imagine complaining that a FREE, I repeat 'FREE' service is bad because it doesn't offer 10Gbps of bandwidth unmetered, 60A @ 240V and unlimited free remote hands. Netwise are doing something that I've never seen another DC before so stop complaining.

Nobody is forcing anyone to take it if they believe they will go over the provided limits, some people likely won't go over the limits and those will be the people who will sign up for it.

“my freeeeeeeeeee pizza only has two toppings included. i want 100 toppings for free instead of paying $0.25/topping extra!!!!”

Thanked by 2tester4 Foul
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited August 2019

@Foul said:

marvel said: So yes it does matter what their intentions are, and I'm not saying they have bad intentions or anything, I'm saying this is just marketing. No company will give something for free without any conditions so you should always be careful if you take such an offer.

Normal students these days in college etc wont use that much bandwidth. I suggest you go read their fineprint before making such accusations about netwise.

If you don't keep it after a year, you either pay for label to ship back to you, or revert to the colo cost per month.

No hate I don't even know them, never heard of them.

Where do I make accusations? I even said it's brilliant marketing. I'm just saying nothing comes free in this world, there's always a catch so look for it before you take the offer. If there's none ok awesome.

Am I not allowed to say that? Should I immediatley start sucking their dicks bc they offer free colo?

• @doghouch said:

@tester4 said:

“my freeeeeeeeeee pizza only has two toppings included. i want 100 toppings for free instead of paying $0.25/topping extra!!!!”

Bad example, pizza toppings are generally overpriced anyway, here you pay like 2.50 € for extra mushrooms. I never saw any place offering free toppings and if they did it was already calculated into the base price of the pizza ;)

• @marvel said:

@Foul said:

No hate I don't even know them, never heard of them.

Where do I make accusations? I even said it's brilliant marketing. I'm just saying nothing comes free in this world, there's always a catch so look for it before you take the offer. If there's none ok awesome.

Am I not allowed to say that? Should I immediatley start sucking their dicks bc they offer free colo?

Yes, you should start sucking their dick, carry on.

edited August 2019

@tester4 said:
    Imagine complaining that a FREE, I repeat 'FREE' service is bad because it doesn't offer ... unlimited free remote hands.

Actually ... they pretty much do offer unlimited free remote hands. 99% of the actions you'll need them to do (ie. RAM swap, screen readouts, PCIe card install, drive swaps, deracking) are done 100% for free. Basically they won't charge you unless the remote hands request takes a significant amount of time to complete, such as OS reinstalls or advanced troubleshooting.

This was per their live chat support, which was pretty amazing :smiley:

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @Lyphiard said:

@tester4 said:
    Imagine complaining that a FREE, I repeat 'FREE' service is bad because it doesn't offer ... unlimited free remote hands.

Actually ... they pretty much do offer unlimited free remote hands. 99% of the actions you'll need them to do (ie. RAM swap, screen readouts, PCIe card install, drive swaps, deracking) are done 100% for free. Basically they won't charge you unless the remote hands request takes a significant amount of time to complete, such as OS reinstalls or advanced troubleshooting.

This was per their live chat support, which was pretty amazing :smiley:

Wow, I guess they should be offering 10G unlimited as well then! angry face.