Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Converts your OpenVZ VPS to Alpine Linux - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Converts your OpenVZ VPS to Alpine Linux

2»

Comments

• @jii said:
    It works well on my openvz vps. Can you write script for kvm vps?

No.

Thanked by 1psb777
  • jixunjixun Member
    edited August 2019

TL; DR: add apk add bash before reboot

I installed openvz 7 locally to test it, and found out that the container need to have bash installed to boot.

Otherwise the container will not start.

Initial try:

[root@ovz7 ~]# prlctl start vm1
    Starting the CT...
    Failed to start the CT: PRL_ERR_VZCTL_OPERATION_FAILED (Details: bash: applet not found
    Failed to start the Container
    )
    [root@ovz7 ~]# prlctl reinstall vm1
    The CT has been successfully reinstalled.

Add bash before restart:

CT-2e3bf9a3 /# apk add bash
    (1/2) Installing readline (8.0.0-r0)
    (2/2) Installing bash (5.0.0-r0)
    Executing bash-5.0.0-r0.post-install
    Executing busybox-1.31.0-r0.trigger
    OK: 23 MiB in 32 packages
    CT-2e3bf9a3 /# reboot -f
    CT-2e3bf9a3 /# Got signal 9
                               [root@ovz7 ~]# 
    [root@ovz7 ~]# prlctl list -a
    UUID                                    STATUS       IP_ADDR         T  NAME
    {2e3bf9a3-edff-4e15-8a90-b4184cfeabad}  running      111.222.333.444 CT vm1
    [root@ovz7 ~]# prlctl enter vm1
    entered into CT
    LXC_NAME:/# uname -r

My modified script (among other modifications): https://gist.github.com/JixunMoe/6d195b2b2369c2cba80425213d3dc2cc

Thanked by 1ehab
  • psb777psb777 Member
    edited August 2019

jixun said: I installed openvz 7 locally to test it, and found out that the container need to have bash installed to boot.

Otherwise the container will not start.

Yeah, I also discovered that a few days ago, but didn't have time to run tests. Seems that OpenVZ 7 introduced some startup scripts for setting up IP addresses in containers that specifically requires bash. Adding bash is the easy workaround.

For the original script, just change line 51 from apk add openssh to apk add openssh bash.

Thanked by 1jixun
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2019

Translation: the OpenVZ people don't give a damn about their users, probably because they are not engineers but hobbyists.

• 'sh' (which on debian is 'dash') is about 10 times smaller than bash
    • 'dash' had 1 vulnerability (severity 6.9, in 2009) while bash has a full page of vulnerabilities up to this year with a couple of severity 10 ones.

If some linux "hackzor" thinks he's cool with his bash script that's one (utterly insignificant) thing, but if someone offers a tool for OS virtualization, even if it's just containers, and uses bash then they should be nailed to a cross and left to bleed shamed.

OpenBSD and some others prove that even all the scripting for an OS can be done with a small and reasonably secure shell.

• I used the original script last year on a couple of OVZ6 boxes. I didn't see any reason for it to delete /home, /media and /mnt. So I just modified it. Worked out OK.

• jsg said: Translation: the OpenVZ people don't give a damn about their users, probably because they are not engineers but hobbyists.

In all fairness, the scripts in question were designed for CentOS, on which the presence of bash is expected. Although the system has been replaced with Alpine, OpenVZ continues to assume CentOS and runs respective startup scripts.

OpenVZ 7 ships with startup scripts designed for a range of popular distributions. Maybe some put sh instead of bash after shebang, but I didn't have time to test.

mountyPython said: I used the original script last year on a couple of OVZ6 boxes. I didn't see any reason for it to delete /home, /media and /mnt. So I just modified it. Worked out OK.

You're right, no reason to delete those directories.

@psb777 said:
    In all fairness, the scripts in question were designed for CentOS, on which the presence of bash is expected. Although the system has been replaced with Alpine, OpenVZ continues to assume CentOS and runs respective startup scripts.

It's even worse. It seems that /bin/sh is just a link to /bin/bash on CentOS which is a particularly poor (and not necessary) decision. For me that's a reason to avoid CentOS.

Alpine Linux' 'sh' is 'ash' which is much more reasonable. For the sake of fairness it should be noted that that shell is part of busybox, which has just a slightly better vulnerabilities track record than bash but all its vulnerabilites are related to diverse pieces of code they picked up who knows where and not to its 'ash'.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jsg said: It seems that /bin/sh is just a link to /bin/bash on CentOS which is a particularly poor (and not necessary) decision. For me that's a reason to avoid CentOS.

If bash is invoked as sh or with the flag --posix, then bash behaves in a POSIX-compliant way. (See https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-POSIX-Mode.html )

Also, it's good practice not to use bash-specific mechanisms in any script headed by #!/bin/sh.

This said, I also would prefer not to link sh to bash, so we're in agreement about this.

@angstrom said:
    If bash is invoked as sh or with the flag --posix, then bash behaves in a POSIX-compliant way.

Well, kind of. It (supposedly) behaves in a POSIX-compliant way. But - important caveat! - it still is bash and just "emulating" Posix compliance.

We should keep in mind that a basic shell ("/bin/sh") is a vital part of an OS and should hence be very well behaved, small, fast, and of course safe - which bash is not, and that doesn't somehow magically change by calling it with some option.

Well noted, I'm not per se against bash, zsh, and a whole lot of other shells - what I'm strongly opposed to is to misuse them as /bin/sh and/or for critical scripting (like in the init mechanism).

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:
    If bash is invoked as sh or with the flag --posix, then bash behaves in a POSIX-compliant way.

Well, kind of. It (supposedly) behaves in a POSIX-compliant way. But - important caveat! - it still is bash and just "emulating" Posix compliance.

We should keep in mind that a basic shell ("/bin/sh") is a vital part of an OS and should hence be very well behaved, small, fast, and of course safe - which bash is not, and that doesn't somehow magically change by calling it with some option.

Well noted, I'm not per se against bash, zsh, and a whole lot of other shells - what I'm strongly opposed to is to misuse them as /bin/sh and/or for critical scripting (like in the init mechanism).

Well, if bash isn't POSIX-compliant when invoked as sh or with the posix flag, then this would be a bug in bash.

But, yes, it would be safer to use (real) sh to begin with.

I suspect that the startup scripts in CentOS use /bin/sh and so don't use bash-specific features (but I would have to check to be sure).

• hello,the great script donot support Ipv6? I just have a ipv6 only little openvz7 vps .
    how can I change the script to converts my ipv6 only openvz vps to Alpine ?

• cochoncochon Member
    edited February 2021

@liuyinltemp said:
    hello,the great script donot support Ipv6? I just have a ipv6 only little openvz7 vps .

The script creates a stub IPv4 network configuration from the existing state, but I've always used Debian as the donor system, it has the same format interfaces file as Alpine, and relied on the interfaces file being recreated (including IPv6) by the host scripts at boot. Never had to configure IPv6 manually after the final reboot to log back in over v6.

Sounds like your network configuration may not be recreated automatically. You could try editing this upgrade script to copy your existing interfaces file instead of building the stub.

I've also not tried it on a system without NAT as a fallback, so it's possible the linuxcontainers.org template doesn't work without an IPv4 address, you could try the above adding a dummy IPv4 address to the interfaces file.

As you've probably discovered, the script also needs a bit of a tweak to pick up later versions of Alpine >3.9 due to the way the linuxcontainers.org list is sorted.

Edit: Forget the last comment, I see they've dropped the older versions < 3.10, though looks like this script will always pick 'edge' now for the same reason.

• @cochon said:

@liuyinltemp said:
    hello,the great script donot support Ipv6? I just have a ipv6 only little openvz7 vps .

The script creates a stub IPv4 network configuration from the existing state, but I've always used Debian as the donor system, it has the same format interfaces file as Alpine, and relied on the interfaces file being recreated (including IPv6) by the host scripts at boot. Never had to configure IPv6 manually after the final reboot to log back in over v6.

Sounds like your network configuration may not be recreated automatically. You could try editing this upgrade script to copy your existing interfaces file instead of building the stub.

I've also not tried it on a system without NAT as a fallback, so it's possible the linuxcontainers.org template doesn't work without an IPv4 address, you could try the above adding a dummy IPv4 address to the interfaces file.

As you've probably discovered, the script also needs a bit of a tweak to pick up later versions of Alpine >3.9 due to the way the linuxcontainers.org list is sorted.

Edit: Forget the last comment, I see they've dropped the older versions < 3.10, though looks like this script will always pick 'edge' now for the same reason.

Thanks ,I just found this script can run on debian 6 but no on centos 5

• @cochon said: though looks like this script will always pick 'edge' now for the same reason.

It won't. 'edge' is filtered out with grep.

Thanked by 1cochon
  • @psb777 said:

@cochon said: though looks like this script will always pick 'edge' now for the same reason.

It won't. 'edge' is filtered out with grep.

Ah yes, thanks, need to get my eyesight tested :)

Previously I always had to edit the script to cherry pick > 3.9 so never assimilated that.

• hanoihanoi Member

@psb777 said:
    For some reasons, I still have to manage a handful of OpenVZ VPS. But I don't like the popular OSes that most providers offer, because they could be messy, heavy and outdated. I used to use vps2arch, which wipes out the original OS, and installs Arch Linux. But now that Arch Linux no longer supports the old VZ kernels, Alpine Linux seems to be a sensible choice.

So I made a script to install the latest Alpine Linux on OpenVZ VPS.

https://gist.github.com/trimsj/c1fefd650b5f49ceb8f3efc1b6a1404d

NOTE: The script will wipe all your data in the VPS! It only supports OpenVZ, because there usually are better ways to install your favourite OS on KVM. IPv6 is not supported, and should be manually configured. Vanilla Alpine Linux uses about 8MB RAM and 36MB disk, and it is systemd-free.

I tested it on vanilla 64-bit CentOS 7, Debian 8, and Ubuntu 16.04 images on an NAT OpenVZ VPS provided by @Cam (thanks!). It may or may not work on your OpenVZ however, so be prepared to reinstall OS and improvise.

Sorry for bumping old story but could you please share some thoughts the way to convert KVM VPS.
    Thanks in advance

• @hanoi said: Sorry for bumping old story but could you please share some thoughts the way to convert KVM VPS.

If you have VNC access and can mount Alpine ISO, you can use the standard installation method.

If you have VNC access but cannot mount Alpine ISO, you can use netboot.xyz, either with netboot.xyz.iso or boot it from grub (i.e., netboot.xyz.lkrn), and boot Alpine from the menu.

If you do not have VNC access, you can make a prebuilt disk image (e.g., from another VPS or from a VM on your own PC) and have it dd'd into your VPS.

Thanked by 1hanoi