Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Thinking about starting a webhosting company - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UPDATE: Thinking about starting a webhosting company

2»

Comments

• @brenthopkins said:

@cybertech said:
    Don't think. Just start and rake in big monies

I've given up on the idea... I developed the website, domain name, got DirectAdmin working, and just needed Blesta working...

All this negativity really has got be me thinking it's not worth it, especially with everything going on with my life at the moment.

That's the right decision. This level of comments is 1/100 of dealing with low end customers. You simply don't have the motivation and drive to run such a business. That's not an insult (I'm same way) just reality.

Better to figure that out now than months from now, stressed out and broke AF.

• hzrhzr Member

TimboJones said: That's the right decision. This level of comments is 1/100 of dealing with low end customers. You simply don't have the motivation and drive to run such a business. That's not an insult (I'm same way) just reality.

Better to figure that out now and not be out $500 in chargeback fees and drowning in disputes

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did someone mention Hetzner?

Thanked by 2Ouji MrPsycho
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2019

Hetznar.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Summer ends, you are too late to create hosting company.

• @brenthopkins said:
    I've given up on the idea...

Well that was fast.

• LeviLevi Member

brenthopkins said: especially with everything going on with my life at the moment.

School or steam sale on faved game?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @brenthopkins said:
    I've given up on the idea...

I always start my day with some (inspirational) cow thoughts. Today this came out:

P.S.: I uploaded a picture instead of a screenshot because I'm late to work...

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2019

Well, I was starting shared hosting business 2 years ago. I don't give a shit about managing server, I just buy reseller for $20 a year and let others managed it for me. Server is expensive as hell. You need to buy a lot of license and others shenanigans for it to work decently. I recommend Karen to do all the dirty work. She knows her stuff around server.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

If you need a summer job, remember : You'll make more money as a pizza Courrier.

• If you were doing this for fun, honestly, good riddance. We already have enough summer, winter, fall, spring-hosts, and the year long deadpool hosts from CC.

If you were doing this seriously, well, buying a generic OVH server, and then not having basic shared hosting knowledge isn't exactly the best way to go about this. Even if you don't have enough capital for a decent colo, you can probably do better than that for a rented dedi.

But who knows? Maybe you were about to make millions and we fools ruined your perfectly good plans.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@brenthopkins if you have enough money for all monthly expenses x 12, if you don't want to have any free time, if you don't like social life, if you like threads like this then start your Hosting business and don't listen to anyone here. You will most likely be successful as that is what it takes to have healthy start. How it will end it just depends on you.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited August 2019

I should have done this 12 years ago when I had a 2Gb dedicated server and did some messing around with Xen. If you are serious about this then should have deep pockets and good support staff and endless patience, and work out some tax reduction schemes with a creative accountant.

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited August 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    Also, dd is not a good benchmark technique, as caches will affect the time, and sequential writes are rarely an indication of real life performance (random reads happen far more often). You should use fio instead. See https://support.binarylane.com.au/support/solutions/articles/1000055889-how-to-benchmark-disk-i-o for a good writeup on it.

OP most likely dont understand what you're telling. But hey, he succeeded in renting a server atleast :D Now lets serve the target audience (dumb spoiled kids) some "kick ass super gud webhosting" .. and probably some minecraft servers aswell ... because ... OP got NVMe :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I thought about starting a hosting company about 5-6 years ago, mainly because I was already running a hosting company called "all my friends and family call the guy they know who's in IT".

Got it spun up and moved all my friends/family over...advertised a little...then recovered my senses and moved it to a reseller.

• @raindog308
    Same career here. Nerve-wrecking. And those were just friends & family. Moved them all over to Knownhost, finally undisturbed holidays & weekends...

Amitz said: Same career here. Nerve-wrecking. And those were just friends & family. Moved them all over to Knownhost, finally undisturbed holidays & weekends...

Sheesh, you treat your friends/family pretty well...I just put mine a BuyShared LOL

Thanked by 2Amitz kkrajk
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2019

That's savage! But my friends & family are a spoiled bunch of snobs, admittedly.

Amitz said: That's savage! But my friends & family are a spoiled bunch of snobs, admittedly.

Been thinking about moving them to 2gbhosting...the testimonials really moved me.

Thanked by 2ITLabs Amitz