Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudAtCost?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudAtCost?

Hi guys,

Hoping to avoid a flame war by asking all of you if anyone has used - or has been using as of late - this service, available at www.cloudatcost.com.

They have been changing their business model as of late, and although the pricing can no longer be considered low end I am wondering how sustainable the new structure can be. Discuss. :)

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited August 2019

there is a saying "a stone deteriorates but a bitch never"

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • I doubt anything has improved there, terrible customer service culture doesn't change by itself

• ruggieroav said: Hoping to avoid a flame war

really now

:smiley:

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • thev3 packages bring the performance to a low cost host.
    but be aware don't expect much from it.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@ruggieroav said:
    I am wondering how sustainable the new structure can be. Discuss. :)

CloudAtCost (of your basic knowledge of fixed costs vs operational costs)

• @ruggieroav said:

They have been changing their business model as of late, and although the pricing can no longer be considered low end I am wondering how sustainable the new structure can be. Discuss. :)

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Fool+me+once,+shame+on+you;+fool+me+twice,+shame+on+me

• i think last i heard from these guys people who had bought "for life" services found out that it didnt include additional mandatory fee's at their discression xD. seriously avoid like the plague

• hzrhzr Member

Wow, their practices have gotten even worse than before , this is some scummy advertising

Thanked by 2Ouji ITLabs
  • one time payment*

• one-time payment needs to be made 12 times
    Thanked by 4Ouji MasonR ITLabs hjlow
  • Yeah, about the one (12) times payment:

It IS interesting that they now play on the OTP language; based on their past history there's no guarantee that the one-year payment schedule won't be reinstated, so you're essentially paying multiple times for resources you bought "for life." I never really trusted a for-life arrangement with ANY company BUT the offers continue to be made, both in the low-end and not so low-end arena.

I read about the $9 fee and the uproar it caused, so maybe this is there meager attempt at transparency? I note that they've supposedly been through 2 previous iterations of product, and now on "version 3" Be interested to see where they are in a few more years, or if they deadpool; what's anyone's estimate on the latter?

• hzrhzr Member

ruggieroav said: I read about the $9 fee and the uproar it caused, so maybe this is there meager attempt at transparency? I note that they've supposedly been through 2 previous iterations of product, and now on "version 3" Be interested to see where they are in a few more years, or if they deadpool; what's anyone's estimate on the latter?

The annual fee is in addition to the multiple one time payments

• @hzr said:

No, pretty sure the the new setup does away with the $9 fee. (Why charge a $9 annual maintenance fee when you can have people paying off their one-time fees each month?) I just realized that this is more like a lease payment or "rent with option to buy"

• @ruggieroav said:

@hzr said:

No, pretty sure the the new setup does away with the $9 fee. (Why charge a $9 annual maintenance fee when you can have people paying off their one-time fees each month?) I just realized that this is more like a lease payment or "rent with option to buy"

Still in their TOS:

9.18 Customers with a Developer CloudPRO v1 onetime payment service is subject to an annual maintenance fee of $9 which will be invoiced 12 months after using our service. This does not apply to users that have a monthly paid service or a Developer v2 Package. This Maintenance fee will ensure proper hardware upgrades and maintenance to reduce degradation of onetime payment services.

The current iteration is apparently cloudpro v3, so that's not even being mentioned in the TOS.

In any case, DO NOT USE CLOUDATCOST, it's a shitshow and you should KNOW so. If the business model didnt give it away, the "one time fee needs to be paid 12 times" thing should, or the part where they added a recurring fee to their "one-time payment lifetime accounts" without informing users.

If the above has not convinced you to NOT go with cloudatcost, look up some benchmarks and see just how oversold their stuff is.

Thanked by 3ITLabs Ouji default
  • cloudatwhatcost?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I don't do anything new anymore and have a bunch of V1 resources unused. There's 3 windows VM's that are terribly slow but I've had them for like 4 years. Like click start button and menu appears 22 seconds later. Or right click something and 8 seconds go by. They mention V3 has higher limits but don't list them. You are limited to at most 30MB/s disk and a few times, transfers would be a very solid flat transfer of around 40MB/s that seemed like intentional bandwidth limiting. In Linux, you see very slow logins before getting command line prompt. Poor and variable internet speeds, etc.

In terms of improving, it used to be that when servers went down, they'd never come back on their own. You either had to manually reboot or ticket. Now, when I see servers go unreachable, they come back on their own hours or next day.

I have a fundamental problem with their pricing. You should price the higher packages better to encourage idle unused resources. But with the pool style, you get MORE resources buying multiples of the smaller packages. So they get paid same for higher resources used. It's ridiculous how poorly they're operated.

That being said, they are better than Host Solutions. One might use CaC for stuff like Linux iso's on bit torrent, but anyone running business stuff on it should be fired.

Thanked by 2pxhaxor NerdUno
  • stay away from CAC

• then there is $9 maintenance per year I believe

Sunk a decent amount of money there :neutral:

• stubborn hosting ever. I thought they were gonna deadpool, but they are still fucking alive.

Unbelieveable.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Ouji