Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Thinking about starting a webhosting company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UPDATE: Thinking about starting a webhosting company

brenthopkinsbrenthopkins Member
edited August 2019 in General

I've decided on what audience to target and mapped everything out. To keep this from being a shill post, the names are redacted and I don't plan on sharing the name on LET.

Anyways, here's some pre-launch stuff:

---I didn't fully redact everything in this image, just saw it after posted!---

Comments

• james50ajames50a Member
    edited August 2019

really dont get the point of this post tbh. Is the point of this advertising that you got a single server and are now somehow capable of being a reliable webhost or....

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • dedotatedwamdedotatedwam Member
    edited August 2019

You uploaded a picture of your screen instead of taking a screenshot like a normal person. That tells me everything about the future success of your company.

• muffinmuffin Member
    edited August 2019

Another ovh reseller :0

• The end is nigh.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@muffin said:
    Another ovh reseller :0

Hello,

I am here to serve with premium web hosting.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Good to see LET getting back to its roots.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

Shane? Is that you?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I believe most of us know how to install a OS and run 2 benchmark scripts

FAT32 said: I believe most of us know how to install a OS and run 2 benchmark scripts

Then you are in the target audience!

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

Also, dd is not a good benchmark technique, as caches will affect the time, and sequential writes are rarely an indication of real life performance (random reads happen far more often). You should use fio instead. See https://support.binarylane.com.au/support/solutions/articles/1000055889-how-to-benchmark-disk-i-o for a good writeup on it.

Thanked by 3cybertech vpsGOD uptime

To be serious @brenthopkins, you are focusing a lot on the technical side.

That is the easy part.

The hard part is marketing, getting customers, retaining customers, and managing a business. In your other thread, you say you are targeting shared hosting - one of the most competitive markets on Earth. Virtually zero customer loyalty, tons of competition, low barrier to entry, high customer acquisition cost, costly support requirements, and razor thin margins.

Your questions in the other thread were all about tech...what about finding, attracting, and retaining customers? If your marketing plan consists of LET and WHT, you're doomed.

BTW, 70 websites maximum per server is ridiculously low...some shared hosts have thousands per server. What matters is not how many sites are configured but rather what the peak load is.

• @raindog308 said:
    To be serious @brenthopkins, you are focusing a lot on the technical side.

That is the easy part.

The hard part is marketing, getting customers, retaining customers, and managing a business. In your other thread, you say you are targeting shared hosting - one of the most competitive markets on Earth. Virtually zero customer loyalty, tons of competition, low barrier to entry, high customer acquisition cost, costly support requirements, and razor thin margins.

Your questions in the other thread were all about tech...what about finding, attracting, and retaining customers? If your marketing plan consists of LET and WHT, you're doomed.

BTW, 70 websites maximum per server is ridiculously low...some shared hosts have thousands per server. What matters is not how many sites are configured but rather what the peak load is.

70 websites/server is because of no overselling.

@FAT32 said:
    I believe most of us know how to install a OS and run 2 benchmark scripts

Okay? Not everybody has my values or beliefs. If you can do better than me, then do it. Nobody is stopping you.

@dedotatedwam said:
    You uploaded a picture of your screen instead of taking a screenshot like a normal person. That tells me everything about the future success of your company.

I've ran a business before... And yeah, I uploaded a picture instead of a screenshot because I had to go to work. Uploaded the picture and created thread when I was on break.> @james50a said:

really dont get the point of this post tbh. Is the point of this advertising that you got a single server and are now somehow capable of being a reliable webhost or....

As mentioned in the OP, I'm not going to mention the name on LET... Ever. So how is this advertising? I was just posting because... Why not?

And who said this is a single server set up?

• Don't think. Just start and rake in big monies

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • brenthopkinsbrenthopkins Member
    edited August 2019

@cybertech said:
    Don't think. Just start and rake in big monies

I've given up on the idea... I developed the website, domain name, got DirectAdmin working, and just needed Blesta working...

All this negativity really has got be me thinking it's not worth it, especially with everything going on with my life at the moment.

• don't mind me asking then what server is that, more importantly what's CPU

• @cybertech said:
    don't mind me asking then what server is that, more importantly what's CPU

Intel E-2136

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@brenthopkins said:
    Okay? Not everybody has my values or beliefs. If you can do better than me, then do it. Nobody is stopping you.

Frankly speaking, I just dont understand this thread at all, what is the purpose of this thread? Maybe to get post count for you to apply for provider tag? Why not reuse the previous thread?

• Well sir, I'd say slap a overpriced cPanel license on it (or DirectAdmin if you were smart, but you can't even make a screenshot on your own computer so I highly doubt you can even Google how DirectAdmin works) and Deadpool after 4 months :)

• MrHMrH Member

how is your health?

brenthopkins said: 70 websites/server is because of no overselling.

LOL...what?

So if I sign up, add 70 domains, and each of them gets 2 hits a week, you're going to devote an entire server to me?

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2019

@brenthopkins said:
    70 websites/server is because of no overselling.

Overselling is when you sell more than you have. In hosting that means that (tight definition) your servers load is frequently and for more than a couple of seconds over 100%. A more generous definition, that would be in line with what you seem to strive for, would be that the peak load (except for some occasional short spikes) is over 100%.

As you might have noticed that, the load, depends on the users to a very large degree. Good normal users have occasional peaks while bad users have them frequently and there is no reasonable capacity planning (the way you do it) that prevents that.
    The proper way to deal with that problem is less a technical one than a human one and one of experience.

Only x users/sites per server is, pardon me, simply idiotic. Don't get me wrong and don't take this personal but I'm under the impression that you lack very major ingredients for becoming a provider. I'd advise you to drop that plan and to think of something in a field where you have know-how and experience.

• Nice fast hexacore. Plenty of RAM?

Magento audience maybe?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@raindog308 said:

brenthopkins said: 70 websites/server is because of no overselling.

LOL...what?

So if I sign up, add 70 domains, and each of them gets 2 hits a week, you're going to devote an entire server to me?

At least he's trying not to err on the side of overselling too much!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@angstrom said:

Yes that's positive - but also highly likely deadly businesswise. Keep in mind what kind of market we are talking about. Unless you are a quite siginificant and large provider, for which either need lots of reputation, knowledge, and experience or loads of money, the game in this field is about having good sources for good 2nd hand hardware and cheap, saving on IP costs, etc. and all that in a market in which only very few really make a halfway decent living. Just think about how many customers you must find and keep who pay $50/years to pay for your rent, food, car, etc.

Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware

@brenthopkins said: I was just posting because... Why not?

This is LET. If someone starts a thread because "Why not?", they will generally be called out.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I mean a lot go good points made already so I don't need to say but but one thing really is that if LET has made you forget about hosting and give up already then this certainly isn't the market for you, the hosting industry is brutal, you will age about 20 year in the first 6 months, you will have days were you sit in a dark room and wonder why you even bother because honestly the Internet and the shit you get from some people really can get to you, then after a while you become like most of us on LET where we just talk utter nonsense and take the piss out of people.... So if you can't handle the banta I would suggest this isn't the industry for you.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Is @brenthopkins still in time for a summer host? :wink:

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:

Yes that's positive - but also highly likely deadly businesswise. Keep in mind what kind of market we are talking about. Unless you are a quite siginificant and large provider, for which either need lots of reputation, knowledge, and experience or loads of money, the game in this field is about having good sources for good 2nd hand hardware and cheap, saving on IP costs, etc. and all that in a market in which only very few really make a halfway decent living. Just think about how many customers you must find and keep who pay $50/years to pay for your rent, food, car, etc.

I intended my remark to be slightly (but not wholly) ironic, but yes. :smile:

@brenthopkins: LET can appear/be brutal. I'm afraid that this is one of the first things you should learn if you want to post here.