Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Options
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Options

jptechjptech Member
edited July 2013 in Requests

Hey everyone,

I currently have a VPS with 512mb RAM/30GB storage running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and a whole slew of services (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Postfix, Courier, FTP), and I was considering switching to another provider if I can get a good deal and additional RAM (if I switch, I'd go for 1GB+ of RAM). I've looked at Digital Ocean, but I am unsure of their reputation and support.

I'd like to keep it under $15/mo. The server should be located in the US, and it should preferably (not a must) be Texas or east of Texas. I can SSH & whatnot on a Linux server, but I don't know all the options available as far as providers.

Thanks for any help,
jptech

Comments

• awsonawson Member

I've looked at Digital Ocean, but I am unsure of their reputation and support.

What's wrong with them? Their support and service is great (replies usually in minutes), they have an IRC channel, and are growing healthily.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

ShardHost is in Dallas

• jptechjptech Member

@awson No, no. That's not what I am saying. I mean I don't know much about them. On the surface, they look great. Although, I am afraid I may be taking a step down as far as CPU. My current VPS's UnixBench is ~1400 while it was running all the services listed, and I've only heard ~1000 for the 1GB Digital Ocean plan. Is that something be concerned about?

@netomx Would you recommend OpenVZ or KVM from ShardHost? I believe I'm on Xen right now. The OpenVZ plan falls perfectly in budget, and the KVM is just over budget.

• 764664764664 Member

@jptech said:
    awson No, no. That's not what I am saying. I mean I don't know much about them. On the surface, they look great. Although, I am afraid I may be taking a step down as far as CPU. My current VPS's UnixBench is ~1400 while it was running all the services listed, and I've only heard ~1000 for the 1GB Digital Ocean plan. Is that something be concerned about?

netomx Would you recommend OpenVZ or KVM from ShardHost? I believe I'm on Xen right now. The OpenVZ plan falls perfectly in budget, and the KVM is just over budget.

1. only 1 core for DO's 1GB plan, it could be a problem.

2. You should take a look at ShardHost's LEB/LET offer, not those on their website.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

We (Catalyst Host) offer service out of Corexchange in Dallas, both OpenVZ and KVM. We're quite proud of our services and we aim to operate with the attitude of a small business and the professionalism that one would expect of a large one. We've got some offers here and on other forums, but feel free to visit our website (catalysthost.com) and open a pre-sales ticket if you'd like to check out our services. We try to be as accommodating as we can.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • upfreakupfreak Member
    edited July 2013

Your budget is reasonable to find a good provider. You are just few dollars short of linode, so all leb offers will fit in nicely. You still can try digitalocean for free by using free credit from my Sig link to check suitability to your app setup.

• edited July 2013

@jptech said:
    awson No, no. That's not what I am saying. I mean I don't know much about them. On the surface, they look great. Although, I am afraid I may be taking a step down as far as CPU. My current VPS's UnixBench is ~1400 while it was running all the services listed, and I've only heard ~1000 for the 1GB Digital Ocean plan. Is that something be concerned about?

netomx Would you recommend OpenVZ or KVM from ShardHost? I believe I'm on Xen right now. The OpenVZ plan falls perfectly in budget, and the KVM is just over budget.

Hello jptech,

We'll be revising our prices on our website shortly. In the interim the best value would be found in our Lowendbox deal:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/shardhost-30year-1024mb-kvm-in-dallas-texas/

Prices start from $10/year for KVM. I think you'd most likely be interested in our $5 1GB monthly plan which offers 100GB of storage space also (again listed in the Lowendbox post). Please feel free to have a scan through the comments on the offer/s on Lowendbox to get a feel for our service, we also have some reviews on lowendtalk.com

If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to open a pre-sales ticket on our website or PM here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@peppr said:
    Your budget is reasonable to find a good provider. You are just few dollars short of linode, so all leb offers will fit in nicely. You still can try digitalocean for free by using free credit from my Sig link to check suitability to your app setup.

That reminds me, I forgot to say that I do love Digital Ocean. I know they've had some issues but everyone has, they just got more press. Linode has also stepped up their game lately, and equally suffered from high press over recent issues that have probably quietly occurred at more hosts than any of us know. Good service and great support though.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@jptech pmed

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jptech I have with then the Xen (I believe haha) and it is good so far.

• jptechjptech Member

@peppr said:

Would you recommend upping the budget to $20 in order to go with Linode?

Also, what is everyone's opinion of OpenVZ vs KVM vs Xen?

• jptechjptech Member

Also, I might add... a server in New York or Atlanta (or Texas) would work well for my business. I just would rather stay away from West Coast data centers at the moment.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited July 2013

Rocketvps is my recommendation then. They offer discounted cpanel and wht has coupons which make them even cheaper.

• RamNode is in Atlanta . . . they are fantastic.

Thanked by 2Nick_A jar
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    RamNode is in Atlanta . . . they are fantastic.

Thanks! Yeah @jptech - we have some solid services in Atlanta available.

• If you do care about fantastic quality and stability, go for Linode. Expensive but highly performed and reliable.

• jptechjptech Member

@Nick_A Are there any deal/coupons for RamNode on LET?

• @jptech said:
    Nick_A Are there any deal/coupons for RamNode on LET?

Their most recent LEB promo is here: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/ramnode-15-60year-128mb-ssd-openvz-vps-in-atlanta-seattle-2/

Thanked by 1jptech
  • ATHKATHK Member

@764664 regarding DO's CPUs they are between 2-3GHZ on every droplet I've created which is around 10 lowest was 1.999GHZ their TOS states that each droplet will have a CPU between that rate.

Although that may of change in the last month?

• jptechjptech Member

@ATHK Is that core dedicated to the specific droplet, or do you know?

@ShardHost Thanks, is ShardHost and RamNode connected somehow?

• @jptech said:
    ATHK Is that core dedicated to the specific droplet, or do you know?

ShardHost Thanks, is ShardHost and RamNode connected somehow?

No, not in any way whatsoever.

Thanked by 1jptech
  • jptechjptech Member

@ShardHost I just did a double take when you posted a link for RamNode, so I wondering if they had the same parent company. Anyway, thanks for the help.

• @jptech said:
    ShardHost I just did a double take when you posted a link for RamNode, so I wondering if they had the same parent company. Anyway, thanks for the help.

No problem. Just wanted to ensure you were looking at their best deals available.

Thanked by 1jptech
  • ATHKATHK Member

@jptech they are KVM's so I guess you could say all resources given to you are yours.

• ATHKATHK Member

@jptech I've heard good things about @shardhost too, if you can get the location you want with shard I would probably choose them!

Offtopix @shardhost so you still allow torrents? Was thinking about buying a Vps.