Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compare of Virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Compare of Virtualization

I need configure new Virtualization on my server. But don't know what is best.
Could you please tell me what features have or haven't this virtualizations?

VMware, KVM, Proxmox, Xen, Openstack

Comments

• cociucociu Member

+1 proxmox

Thanked by 1alievinfo
  • LeviLevi Member

Proxmox is control panel, not virtualization. De facto standard in current time is KVM. Go and live with it, you will do great.

• @LTniger said:
    Proxmox is control panel, not virtualization. De facto standard in current time is KVM. Go and live with it, you will do great.

Have KVM any APi connection, for integrate to WHMCS?

• infoinfo Member

you said proxmox but didn't say lxc

• beaglebeagle Member

Have a look at XCP-ng. It's an open source fork of XenServer.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@alievinfo said:

Have KVM any APi connection, for integrate to WHMCS?

So you want to sell VPS ?

Thanked by 1ralph
  • vmware

• bountysitebountysite Member
    edited July 2019

+1 for KVM

Use libvirt to manage KVM/Xen for low level ops.
    Proxmox with KVM, with REST API for higher level controls. And yeah, frontend for end user!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

I smell a summerhost.

Edit: Okay, to give a slightly more useful answer: if you plan on selling VPSes to customers, this is the wrong way to go about it. The first thing you should do is understand what different virtualization/containerization technologies do and how they relate to other tools; not naively ask for the "best" option.

Like with any kind of tool, "best" depends on your situation.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Clearly the best option for hosting customers is OpenNebula running in Hyper-V.

• @FHR said:
    Clearly the best option for hosting customers is OpenNebula running in Hyper-V.

Windoze! Forget it. :-|

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@joepie91 said:
    I smell a summerhost.

Edit: Okay, to give a slightly more useful answer: if you plan on selling VPSes to customers, this is the wrong way to go about it. The first thing you should do is understand what different virtualization/containerization technologies do and how they relate to other tools; not naively ask for the "best" option.

Well, if he wants to pull a summerhost, the best option for profit is oviously OVZ/LXC.
    Problem solved.

• +1 for KVM if you're looking for "performance". Specifically?

• @Neoon said:

@joepie91 said:
    I smell a summerhost.

Well, if he wants to pull a summerhost, the best option for profit is oviously OVZ/LXC.
    Problem solved.

If this is gonna be a summerhost, DO NOT give him tips for overselling...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jordynegen11 said:
    If this is gonna be a summerhost, DO NOT give him tips for overselling...

Why NOT? I wanna see more drama here.
    Also, you never know how he will proceed, could be that he setups himself a Proxmox instance and plays around to learn or goes the direct way.

Thanked by 2captainwasabi lazyt
  • I'm using Proxmox for KVM and LXC but looking for a IAAS solution which support LXC for a small enviroment. I've looked at OpenStack but it's heavy and complex. Cloudstack and OpenNebula are a better choice?

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited August 2019

@pizzathehunt said:
    I'm using Proxmox for KVM and LXC but looking for a IAAS solution which support LXC for a small enviroment. I've looked at OpenStack but it's heavy and complex. Cloudstack and OpenNebula are a better choice?

If you need high availability you can do it with Proxmox + Ceph

Maybe a lot of people underestimate Proxmox because it is easy to work with , but you can have pretty complex setup with it ... get 3 nodes with one additional NVME and second network card (10Gbps) cluster them, create as ceph storage with the NVME drives ... create vm or lxc on one of them using ceph storage and enable ha and enjoy and test it ... you need some networking to do but you are ready to sell - just get whmcs modules from modules garden for both vps and cloud...

For small environment (office with virtual desktops for example ) you can do zsync with 2 nodes - syncing VM and containers form the original node to backup one (every 15 minutes for example) i something goes wrong with the original one just boot from backups (worst case scenario you will be 15 minutes or less behind) https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PVE-zsync

What ever you choose (OpenStack / CloudStack / OpenNebula) it will be more resource consuming (time / money / hardware) to run it and more expensive to integrate to billing system, and added additional complexity will create more chances something to go wrong ...

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • edited October 2019

Commented on wrong thread..
    Great first post!

Thanked by 2uptime ralph
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Sir I believe you said that wrong @FHR, I think you meant virtkick :joy: