Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Static Website - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Static Website

2»

Comments

• @hardgamers said:
    Blogging : publii
    Landing page / simple web : bootstrap studio / mobirise

Publii looks very solid! Thanks!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@vyas11 said:
    Datenstrom Yellow. Have a new project I am working on. Markdown + php mostly. Quite nifty. Planning a mini wiki site for a storytelling podcast for kids, with > 400 pages.

I took a look at Yellow a couple of years ago and it seemed very basic, but I see that it's been continuously developed since then.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@SplitIce said:
    How are people publishing. Generate and SFTP/FTP (e.g Filezilla)?

I recently started using AWS Amplify. Git push to deploy.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • @depricated said:

@cazrz said:
    Hugo
    Gatsby
    WP + Hugo
    WP + Gatsby
    Grav + Hugo

I'm curious what you mean by Grav + Hugo.

Grav cms and hugo using learn theme.

• cazrz said: Grav cms and hugo using learn theme.

I mean how and why do you combine Grav and Hugo?

• If it's about performance, pretty sure WordPress with cache plugin will perform the same as static sites. Because that the plugin exactly do. It generates static html file.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@yokowasis said:
    If it's about performance, pretty sure WordPress with cache plugin will perform the same as static sites. Because that the plugin exactly do. It generates static html file.

No. No matter what and how much funny caching Wordpress will not perform "the same", not even close.

And no again, usually it's not about performance, at least not about performance alone. Another very important factor is not needing any scripting engine/interpreter, and related to that, security is another factor. Yet another factor is that static sites are easily human editable.

• @jsg said:

@yokowasis said:
    If it's about performance, pretty sure WordPress with cache plugin will perform the same as static sites. Because that the plugin exactly do. It generates static html file.

No. No matter what and how much funny caching Wordpress will not perform "the same", not even close.

And no again, usually it's not about performance, at least not about performance alone. Another very important factor is not needing any scripting engine/interpreter, and related to that, security is another factor. Yet another factor is that static sites are easily human editable.

How is html generated by WordPress differ from html generated from let's say Hugo?

WordPress also has static content generator plugin. It does exactly what others do. Generating static file. In term of performance I don't see why it will be different. And pretty sure WordPress makes sites easily editable, much more than static html sites, because that's its purpose (or any other cms for that matter). There is no way editing static html is easier than cms, no matter what kind of fancy editor you use.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2019

@yokowasis said:

That was what I responded to. Your answer to my post is based on an arbitrary definition of "static" and considers the output of Wordpress "static html" - but it is not.
    Static html is in a file, the Html created by Wordpress however is created dynamically.

The fact that there is also a static content generator plugin for Wordpress does not change the fact that Wordpress is usually and largely used as a dynamic engine.

• @depricated said:

cazrz said: Grav cms and hugo using learn theme.

I mean how and why do you combine Grav and Hugo?

How: Part of site is Grav and other part is done in hugo.
    Why: We needed php in some parts so we use grav.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Have used Jekyll a bit; went insane and built my own Luapress after that.

Thanked by 2uptime angstrom
  • @cazrz said:

If you needed php, why not stick with Grav for the whole thing? What does Hugo offer in that scenario that Grav doesn't have? If you want parts static, I believe Grav has static generator plugins.

I'm curious because I've considered both Grav and Hugo, and both seem really nice, depending on the needs of the project.

• @depricated said:

@cazrz said:

If you needed php, why not stick with Grav for the whole thing? What does Hugo offer in that scenario that Grav doesn't have? If you want parts static, I believe Grav has static generator plugins.

I'm curious because I've considered both Grav and Hugo, and both seem really nice, depending on the needs of the project.

We originally developed the site using Grav. Using it for just simple static website. It grew big to hundreds of pages, so we decided to port to just make it html (using hugo and algolia) to lessen the resource usage and maintenance of PHP and other dependencies. Load the html files to CDN and just maintain the parts that needed PHP. There were 3 parts of the site. The two sections are huge static files, and each of the two section are handled by different staffs/editors. We don't want them touching the Grav part.

Thanked by 2depricated vyas11
  • TiddlyWiki is an in-browser wiki engine written in JavaScript which runs entirely in your browser and does not require a server. It has plugin system, there are a lot of saver plugins which allows saving wiki data using only your browser, without re-uploading TiddlyWiki file manually.

If you're not familiar with TiddlyWiki, read interactive introduction to TiddlyWiki or check out the presentation. Also visit its homepage for more information.