Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Static Website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Static Website

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
edited August 2019 in General

Opinion time -
What static website software (i.e the Ghost) do you use?
Whats your experience publishing content in this way (pain points? why do you do it this way?)?

Your opinion is valuable and will be exploited for $7 worth of gain.

Comments

• I use Jekyll

It's pretty much fire and forget, only needing to run a script to regenerate the page occasionally. I don't have to keep CMS software updated against vulnerabilities.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • Hugo

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Honestly, for static websites I've been doing it the old fashioned way of simply having certain HTML files coded manually.

I did try Jekyll and its amazing but for a 5 page website I thought to go the manual way of 5 html files.

• Mobirise

• org-mode.org

• carrd.co or HTML5UP and Pixelarity are all pretty great for single-paged static websites (iirc all 3 are run by the same guy)

Thanked by 1DreamCaster
  • In truth I'd like to figure out how to extract the style sheet for Firefox reader-mode, so I can make all my pages look like they are already in that mode. Anyone know how to do that? Earlier I wanted to make them all look like Firefox's RSS rendering, but they disabled that.

• @willie said:
    In truth I'd like to figure out how to extract the style sheet for Firefox reader-mode, so I can make all my pages look like they are already in that mode. Anyone know how to do that? Earlier I wanted to make them all look like Firefox's RSS rendering, but they disabled that.

https://github.com/mozilla/readability

This might be a good start :)

Thanked by 3willie uptime vyas11
  • dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

VuePress

• Thanks, but that is a JS library that de-crapifies the DOM of an existing page. I'm looking to simulate the visual style of how Firerox presents the pages after de-crapification. I don't have to de-crapify my pages since I write them without crap to begin with ;).

Thanked by 2sanvit bugrakoc
  • +1 Jekyll

• @sanvit said:
    carrd.co or HTML5UP and Pixelarity are all pretty great for single-paged static websites (iirc all 3 are run by the same guy)

Love carrd.co. Renewing for another year on BF is an annual ritual now. Ten website plan, three in use ... seven idling

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @vyas11 said:

@sanvit said:
    carrd.co or HTML5UP and Pixelarity are all pretty great for single-paged static websites (iirc all 3 are run by the same guy)

Love carrd.co. Renewing for another year on BF is an annual ritual now. Ten website plan, three in use ... seven idling

Support is awesome too. Last time I did a feature request, it took like a week for the new feature go live :)

Thanked by 3vyas11 uptime maverickp
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

We're using Jekyll for our websites.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Jekyll & Coda 2

• Geany cross platform IDE.

• rcxbrcxb Member

@willie said:
    In truth I'd like to figure out how to extract the style sheet for Firefox reader-mode, so I can make all my pages look like they are already in that mode. Anyone know how to do that?

Visit a site. Select reader mode. Hit F12. Click on Style Editor. Mouse-over aboutReader.css and narrate.css and click the SAVE link that appears by each.

• Blogging : publii
    Landing page / simple web : bootstrap studio / mobirise

Thanked by 1caracal
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Either a compiler/transformer (like e.g. markdown -> Html) or an editor with Html support. Where possible I prefer the former approach because I strongly dislike XML.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Out of the common static site generators, I haven't found a single one which I liked. Either they're too complex (made for blogs), or written in languages I don't like.

So I have a custom page generator - it's just 30 lines of Python that apply Jinja2 templating to all *.tmpl files in a folder and exports them as .html to a second folder.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran

I prefer Hugo over Jekyll, especially for sites with lots of pages as Hugo is faster, but I also like getkirby as I know PHP and it's really nice overall but costly.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

How are people publishing. Generate and SFTP/FTP (e.g Filezilla)?

• what about github pages https://pages.github.com/ ?

• SplitIce said: How are people publishing

rsync

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: I prefer Hugo over Jekyll, especially for sites with lots of pages as Hugo is faster, but I also like getkirby as I know PHP and it's really nice overall but costly.

I've used Hugo, too - very nice and super fast. Jekyll is OK, but I'm not a ruby person.

I've also used Pelican, which is python.

FHR said: So I have a custom page generator - it's just 30 lines of Python that apply Jinja2 templating to all *.tmpl files in a folder and exports them as .html to a second folder.

Right...the main things with SSGs is some kind of templating + Markdown conversion.

Lee said: I also like getkirby as I know PHP and it's really nice overall but costly.

Holy guacamole mostaccioli. I bought a Kirby 2 personal license in 2015 for $17. Kirby 3 is $109?!? Even the upgrade from v2 is 79EUR.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Hugo is pretty good. I really like Gatsby but it's very complex and would be quite hard to deal with if you have no experience with React and GraphQL.

eva2000 said: what about github pages https://pages.github.com/ ?

Pretty limited... The only static site generator they support is Jekyll. To use any others, you need to commit the generated HTML files to source control, which is messy. Netlify is a much better hosting service as you can customize the build process, so any SSG can be used.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2019

raindog308 said: Holy guacamole mostaccioli. I bought a Kirby 2 personal license in 2015 for $17. Kirby 3 is $109?!? Even the upgrade from v2 is 79EUR.

Indeed, the jump to Kirby 3 was a steep one, having said that, it is good. I use it for a site that has a blog, large guides section (800 pages) and a few others bits. Blazing fast, easy to work with (if you know PHP) and all the tools you need to build whatever you want are baked in, just not shoved in your face like say, Grav.

For what it offers I don't mind paying the price, for one site, not more.

• Hugo
    Gatsby
    WP + Hugo
    WP + Gatsby
    Grav + Hugo

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

Datenstrom Yellow. Have a new project I am working on. Markdown + php mostly. Quite nifty. Planning a mini wiki site for a storytelling podcast for kids, with > 400 pages.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @cazrz said:
    Hugo
    Gatsby
    WP + Hugo
    WP + Gatsby
    Grav + Hugo

I'm curious what you mean by Grav + Hugo.

Thanked by 1vimalware