Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New DirectAdmin retail license structure - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New DirectAdmin retail license structure

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

So is the lifetime licence gone?

• Yes, sir.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    So is the lifetime licence gone?

They were removed last month as they admitted they were a loss-leader from eons ago.

If they're expected to take on the support & development load they're about to, they need the funding.

Only fair.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2019

Sorry, must have missed it or something :)

Good pricing changes though provides a lot of options for people.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

just to ask

do the vps owners (not the providers) get the same price as for the dedicated server?

as i do not see any such thing in this pricing...

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@agentmishra the site mentions all licenses work for VPS or dedicated servers (no price difference), unless you're asking something else? Not quite sure on the question.

@Harambe said:
    @agentmishra the site mentions all licenses work for VPS or dedicated servers (no price difference), unless you're asking something else? Not quite sure on the question.

that was exactly the question

i feel (not all may feel so), that the vps pricing should be different from those of the dedicated pricing

not sure if this makes sense, but to me it surely is...

• @agentmishra said:

@Harambe said:

that was exactly the question

i feel (not all may feel so), that the vps pricing should be different from those of the dedicated pricing

not sure if this makes sense, but to me it surely is...

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited August 2019

These days, there's really no difference between a VPS or dedi. You could get a 24-core 96 GB RAM "VPS" from Vultr ($640/month). You could get a $15/month dedicated server from Kimsufi. Should the first $640/month person get a cheaper license, saying "I am using a VPS! Make the $15/month Kimusfi guy pay more. He is using a full dedicated server."

I'm not saying it's an invalid argument, but I am saying that the server type is no longer a good indication of what makes a low-end box. @smtalk is encouraging us to base it on something else, for example a "VPS" license being limited to systems with 8gb memory or less.

Feedback welcome.

In the meantime, my personal stance is that the Personal/Lite license should appeal to anyone who wants a better price and has a spare box sitting around, whether it's a VPS or old dedi.

• Don't rely on CPs but I'll grab a Personal just to show support.
    Thanks @DA_Mark

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • Really good pricing unlike cPanel

• @ITLabs said:
    As already anticipated by @DA_Mark:

• Trial license: full retail license valid for 60 days;

• Personal license: $24/y - 1 account / 10 domains;

• Lite license: $15/m - 10 accounts / 50 domains;

• Regular license: $29/m - unlimited;

Have a nica day ,
    If your provider is a directadmin partner, you can get unlimited domain licenses for low price

@DA_Mark said:
    These days, there's really no difference between a VPS or dedi. You could get a 24-core 96 GB RAM "VPS" from Vultr ($640/month). You could get a $15/month dedicated server from Kimsufi. Should the first $640/month person get a cheaper license, saying "I am using a VPS! Make the $15/month Kimusfi guy pay more. He is using a full dedicated server."

I'm not saying it's an invalid argument, but I am saying that the server type is no longer a good indication of what makes a low-end box. @smtalk is encouraging us to base it on something else, for example a "VPS" license being limited to systems with 8gb memory or less.

Feedback welcome.

In the meantime, my personal stance is that the Personal/Lite license should appeal to anyone who wants a better price and has a spare box sitting around, whether it's a VPS or old dedi.

i totally agree to @DA_Mark

but i feel its more like a webuzo kinda thing for the personal pricing range (not comparing the product features) just the 1 account spec

webuzo has unlimited domains at nearly this price

my personal belief is any thing between the persoanl and lite and the lite and standard for the vps owners (by checking the lscpu type) would really give a kill to the competitors

very much like interworx has

• @ViridWeb said:
    Good step for hosting community.
    But I think I am late to get a Owned License instead..:(

Still you can get Owned license from order link but available for Reseller partner.

• LeviLevi Member

@agentmishra said:

@DA_Mark said:

Feedback welcome.

i totally agree to @DA_Mark

but i feel its more like a webuzo kinda thing for the personal pricing range (not comparing the product features) just the 1 account spec

webuzo has unlimited domains at nearly this price

my personal belief is any thing between the persoanl and lite and the lite and standard for the vps owners (by checking the lscpu type) would really give a kill to the competitors

very much like interworx has

What the hell are you talking about? Directadmin pricing is perfect at the moment. Transparent pricing is all we need. No more idiotical distinction between vps/dedicated, no per account charge. Pay -> receive. That's it. No BS.

Sorry for this outbrake, but maaan, even for a troll, this is to much.

• LeeLee Veteran

agentmishra said: webuzo has unlimited domains at nearly this price

DA is a panel with a lot of features, it's mature and so on. Webuzo is a bag of shite, you are comparing the pricing for DA with the pricing for a bag of shite.

Not going to work.

• @Lee said:

agentmishra said: webuzo has unlimited domains at nearly this price

DA is a panel with a lot of features, it's mature and so on. Webuzo is a bag of shite, you are comparing the pricing for DA with the pricing for a bag of shite.

Not going to work.

Webuzo is 20 pounds of shit in a 10 pound bag.

Thanked by 3ITLabs Lee vimalware
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2019

@Lee said:
    DA is a panel with a lot of features, it's mature and so on..

Last night's cron update:

ERROR!
    You probably have to install the development version of the Python package
    for your distribution. The exact name of this package varies among them.

A mature product doesn't look to utilise development packages; that is shite.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AlwaysSkint said: A mature product doesn't look to utilise development packages; that is shite.

Are you running DA on something besides CentOS?

I found DA was best on DA and not nearly as bitchy.

Francisco

edited August 2019

@Francisco said:
    Are you running DA on something besides CentOS?

Nope. Always CentOS unless there is no choice..

Totally forgot about my slice! :-o Thanks Francisco. Goes off to check out cron on that..

• LeviLevi Member

@AlwaysSkint said:

@Lee said:
    DA is a panel with a lot of features, it's mature and so on..

Last night's cron update:

ERROR!
    You probably have to install the development version of the Python package
    for your distribution. The exact name of this package varies among them.

A mature product doesn't look to utilise development packages; that is shite.

Whaaat? Can you explain how *-dev usage imply immature product and impose any kind of bad practice?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @AlwaysSkint had no cron issues with our DA servers and all updated fine

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Lee
  • A man rides a donkey and his wife walks by.
    They come by a passenger and he says:
    "Why don't you let your wife ride the donkey, while you are walking, you're stronger!"
    So he does that and they go on.
    Next passer by remarks:
    "Fool, why are you walking, you could both ride the donkey!"
    So he does that, thinking it makes sense.
    Third passer by sees them and says:
    "You'll exhaust the poor animal, why don't you get off of it and lead it along."
    So they decide to do just that.
    Then a fourth passer by comes and says:
    "Why are you walking, when you have a donkey?"

The man concludes: "the end is nig... you can't please the whole world".

No donkeys, nor control panels, were harmed in the making of this story.

• @LTniger said:
    Whaaat? Can you explain how *-dev usage imply immature product and impose any kind of bad practice?

You are trolling, I take it. Does this have to be explained in words of one syllable? Stable, diametrically opposite to development; now equate to mature.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@AlwaysSkint have you pre-installed all the required packages?

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=354

• @ITLabs said:
    ..have you pre-installed all the required packages?

Yup, though why it's not part of the installation, Gawd knows.
    (Yes, there's a heap of dev stuff there to do the compiles.)
    Still can't find the system cron in the menu system. :-S

One might think that a webserver control panel is there to make administering the server/websites/users easier. Yes, there's the lack of familiarity but the layout should be intuitive and dropping to ssh shouldn't be needed for so many administrative tasks. IMO.

• Can I cry now?

python-dev is the package that contains the header files for the Python C API, which is used by lxml because it includes Python C extensions for high performance.

• LeeLee Veteran

AlwaysSkint said: One might think that a webserver control panel is there to make administering the server/websites/users easier.

You would be better with cPanel.

• @lazyt said:
    Can I cry now?

python-dev is the package that contains the header files for the Python C API, which is used by lxml because it includes Python C extensions for high performance.

That's all Greek to me. ;)

edited August 2019

@Lee said:
    You would be better with cPanel.

Absolutely! It has served me fairly well for over a decade, not without issues.
    Having had decades of *nix usage I'm not averse to a command prompt but when it comes to administering websites/webservers time can be better spent clicking in a GUI. CWP does come closer to cPanel, IMO.
    (What filename comes first with a soft-link, source or target? That's what age/time does.)