Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New DirectAdmin retail license structure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New DirectAdmin retail license structure

ITLabsITLabs Member
edited August 2019 in General

As already anticipated by @DA_Mark:

• Trial license: full retail license valid for 60 days;

• Personal license: $24/y - 1 account / 10 domains;

• Lite license: $15/m - 10 accounts / 50 domains;

• Regular license: $29/m - unlimited;

Comments

• bulabula Member

thats great

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

They are doing what cPanel should have done, The pricing looks great and totally sensible.

Thanked by 2gwnd1989 DarkCarnage
  • Great changes they've done!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Great license pricing. Makes it fair for everyone.

• what will happen after 60 days on Trial license?

Thanked by 1caracal
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Good step for hosting community.
    But I think I am late to get a Owned License instead..:(

• @Chuck said:
    what will happen after 60 days on Trial license?

All domains gets auto forwarded to LET

(Yeah, couldn't find what happens after 60 days on the website either)

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Great. The OSs (Linux, xBSD) are free, virtualization software is free ... but at the tail of it some companies tacking some colourful clicky-clicky GUI on all the major free work of others ask for money. To make it worse their clientele even applauds for a GUI costing more than many VPSs.

Maybe the Linux and BSD people should start to demand money.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc willie
  • XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

Chuck said: what will happen after 60 days on Trial license?

Remind me in 60 days .

• I think we can safely assume that after 60 days, you get the error that your license has expired (after logging in) and you can't operate it any further.

Anyway Mark.. thats excellent pricing!

• @XSLTel said:

Chuck said: what will happen after 60 days on Trial license?

Remind me in 60 days .

Your Directadmin service not will start and you cannot access the control panel. Thats all what will happen.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark coreflux
  • Very reasonably priced when the other is very greedy on price rise.

Still end users gets DA as free or at discounted price from vps or dedicated providers.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited August 2019

@jsg said:
    Great. The OSs (Linux, xBSD) are free, virtualization software is free ... but at the tail of it some companies tacking some colourful clicky-clicky GUI on all the major free work of others ask for money. To make it worse their clientele even applauds for a GUI costing more than many VPSs.

I understand where you're coming from, but perhaps it's best to think of it this way: the fees are for maintenance and support.

Anyway, this would be a longer discussion, and it may be best not to derail the present thread with such a discussion ...

• I wasn't aware that the lifetime license (with yearly update fee) will disappear completely. Wow. Now I no longer bite my ass and keep mine... ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • TionTion Member

Dat personal license.

Black Man in yellow jacket behind tree with CPanel logo on it rubbing his hands and licking his lips in anticipation of new DirectAdmin licensing model

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2019

Looks like it makes sense to renew my 25 eur/yr kvm-SSD-2GB special with InceptionHosting. (free Internal 'full' DA)

Clouvider is a fine network to provide shared hosting from.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Amitz said: I wasn't aware that the lifetime license (with yearly update fee) will disappear completely. Wow.

But I thought that the writing was on the wall.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • angstrom said: But I thought that the writing was on the wall.

I am shortsighted. All writings on the wall look the same to me... :wink:

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Good Pricing Scheme and very flexible (can install to vps or dedicated) .. but more nice if standar licence is around $25

Thanked by 1gagah
  • I thought they said that the external lifetime licenses remains..hm.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2019

Will the "personal" license be limited to one license per customer, or could one buy several of those under the same client account? I assume the latter, just want to be sure...

• vpsjunglevpsjungle Member
    edited August 2019

@Amitz said:
    Will the "personal" license be limited to one license per customer, or could one buy several of those under the same client account? I assume the latter, just want to be sure...

I think there won't be any such restrictions.

You can buy as much as you can.

But most of the providers started offering free DA or discounted DA which will pretty cheaper than you buy directly.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2019

vpsjungle said: You can by as much as you can

Where is your evidence of this? As you will purchase directly from DA how do you know they will not limit the personal licence?

vpsjungle said: But most of the providers started offering free DA or discounted DA which will pretty cheaper than you buy directly.

A few have, not most. There are lots of providers out there (the majority) that do not offer DA or people do not want to use the ones that do.

Thanked by 1Amitz
    1. Personal license - currently no limits on ordering. Domain-unlocked for DNS purposes so it's also a cheap clustering license.

2. When a DA license expires, you can't login. That's it. Everything else functions as normal. Websites won't suddenly show a "this server is using an expired control panel" error.

3. Retail pricing. We tried to be fair, but retail pricing is supposed to be the most expensive and off-putting. Datacenters order in higher quantities and are responsible for support, so they get much better prices that they can pass onto you, and we can focus on development instead of support tickets (win-win).

It is true that not every DC will offer DA, but we are more than fair about this. We don't have minimum order requirements so it costs them nothing to offer DA. Worst case scenario, a DC should be able to provide you a full unlimited license around the cost of our retail Lite. Most offer it for less, and some build it into pricing and call it "free."

• @DA_Mark said:
    1. Personal license - currently no limits on ordering. Domain-unlocked for DNS purposes so it's also a cheap clustering license.

Hmm.. this is great! So there's no 10 domains limit for DNS clustering?

• LeviLevi Member

@ITLabs said:

@DA_Mark said:

I believe they calculate 'domain' only if it's a vhost.

I'am wondering can i host unlimited email domains on personal license?

• @ITLabs said:

@DA_Mark said:

Correct. For the intent of DNS clustering, it has no limits. All other things (webserver/mail/etc.) are locked down to that 10 domain hard-limit.

Thanked by 2ITLabs Amitz
  • For slightly more technical info on how accounts/domains are calculated, and what happens if you go over limits (e.g. Go from a regular license to Personal, and have more then 10 domains):

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=2109

• @DA_Mark said:
    For slightly more technical info on how accounts/domains are calculated, and what happens if you go over limits (e.g. Go from a regular license to Personal, and have more then 10 domains):

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=2109

Thanks @DA_Mark bookmarked :)

Pricing wise they look good though with some many free DA license based web hosts, the choice based on pricing isn't really an issue anymore.

Thanked by 2ITLabs DarkCarnage
  • @DA_Mark said:
    ..and have more then 10 domains):

Hmm. :expressionless: